70'S QUAD FM SYNDICATIONS AND SIMULCASTS-OTHER THAN BBC, KBFH

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible. Shudder to think where all these masters went off to. Hopefully not to Universal.

Seems to me that given it was mostly CBS artists, and SQ-encoded, they were probably mixed at one of the CBS studios in New York. So it's possible there's copies of these tapes in the Sony vaults, or of the radio stations like WBCN (Boston) or WCBS (NYC) that originally aired these broadcasts, but I think it's kind of a 50/50 proposition on whether they'd keep this stuff 40 or 50 years after the fact.

Here's another one, from the San Francisco Examiner, March 28, 1971:

1606621915364.png

Sounds like a TV show with a quad radio simulcast?

1973 Billboards : I'll try and keep my posts to 3 editions each .

January 27 ,1973 page 100 ;
The BBC have scheduled QUAD DISCRETE testing , for some time this March .

February 17 ,1973 page 15 ;
Minneapolis Sound 80 Studios , are mixing for broadcast are show called "OPERA TODAY" in quad.
(no mention of format)

March 17 ,1973 page 15 ;
Tom Jung at Sound 80 Studios Minneapolis, has mixed a live Concert by BLOOD , SWEAT , AND TEARS in QS quad for live broadcast on KQRS FM .

March 31 ,1973 page 28 ;
-A Syndicated FM show known as "THE ORGANIC REVIEW" is being made available in Q4 for broadcast by
FM Stations . The "Organic Review " is hosted by Mr. Bewilderment and is a 1 hour comedy that runs once per week for 13 weeks.

-Bonneville FM Music Services out of New York City distributes MOR and Orchestral Programs in matrix quad.
(no mention of format , however it is assumed these are all QS as Sansui lists Bonneville FM formats as QS broadcasts)

-K A A Productions , Allentown Pennsylvania uses SQ matrix for their FM product.
Their Easy Listening and Golden Oldies Packs are being broadcast out of Rockville , Maryland .

..........page 48 ;
-Local 4 Channel Rock Concert artists in Miami , Florida are featured on WBUS FM as continuous Quad Concerts . Also in Miami , WTMI FM are playing 4 Channel sound shows .
(no mention of formats for either station )

March 31 ,1973 page 28 ;
-A Syndicated FM show known as "THE ORGANIC REVIEW" is being made available in Q4 for broadcast by
FM Stations . The "Organic Review " is hosted by Mr. Bewilderment and is a 1 hour comedy that runs once per week for 13 weeks.

-Bonneville FM Music Services out of New York City distributes MOR and Orchestral Programs in matrix quad.
(no mention of format , however it is assumed these are all QS as Sansui lists Bonneville FM formats as QS broadcasts)

-K A A Productions , Allentown Pennsylvania uses SQ matrix for their FM product.
Their Easy Listening and Golden Oldies Packs are being broadcast out of Rockville , Maryland .

..........page 48 ;
-Local 4 Channel Rock Concert artists in Miami , Florida are featured on WBUS FM as continuous Quad Concerts . Also in Miami , WTMI FM are playing 4 Channel sound shows .
Sir, you're killing me with all these listings! I get stressed when I wonder where all this music went off to.

March 31 ,1973 page 28 ;

..........page 48 ;
WBUS was an album rock station; WTMI was classical.

Not syndication but a really cool FM station. Love the poster, my printer is having trouble with the colours, they blur together looks much better on the computer screen. KQIV 106.7 FM - KQ4 Rockin' in Quad - HOME PAGE
South Florida had some great album rock quad stations. WSHE ("She 103.5") was the leader of the pack, and lasted longer than most. They used QS for their encoding and upmixing, and overall was a kick-ass station. "Zeta4 (WINZ-FM, later WZTA) Used an SQ encoder; good, but "SHE" cleaned its clock. WBUS,"The Magic Bus". also used QS. Their signal wasn't as strong as the other two, but the station had a loyal following.

April 07 ,1973 page 06 ;

The "EGO LOSS " system for live concert quad is being supplied by Gately . They will be teting a RY COODER performance for April 15th .
(no mention of format)
....page 12 ;
100 FM stations are broadcasting in QS according to John Mosely.

April 28th ,1973 page 18 ;
Weekly Live Shows out of Sausalito , California are broadcasting in quad via The Record Plant West and KSAN FM.
(no mention of format)

KLYD FM Bakersfield , California are providing quad.
(no mention of format)

May 26th,1973 page 49 ; Dayton Ohio ;
-The University of Dayton station WDUV FM , broadcast a one hour progressive rock show on Wednesday Nights in Dolbyized quadraphonic .
-MOR music is being broadcast in quad over WHIO FM Dayton .
(no mention of format for either Ohio station)

April 07 ,1973 page 06 ;

The "EGO LOSS " system for live concert quad is being supplied by Gately . They will be teting a RY COODER performance for April 15th .
(no mention of format)
....page 12 ;
100 FM stations are broadcasting in QS according to John Mosely.

April 28th ,1973 page 18 ;
Weekly Live Shows out of Sausalito , California are broadcasting in quad via The Record Plant West and KSAN FM.
(no mention of format)

KLYD FM Bakersfield , California are providing quad.
(no mention of format)

May 26th,1973 page 49 ; Dayton Ohio ;
-The University of Dayton station WDUV FM , broadcast a one hour progressive rock show on Wednesday Nights in Dolbyized quadraphonic .
-MOR music is being broadcast in quad over WHIO FM Dayton .
(no mention of format for either Ohio station)
These listings are so interesting to read about. Sometimes I wonder how real some of these listings actually were. In other words, even though the stations made the announcements, I wonder if they were doing all they say they were doing. When I was a kid, I interned at a Boston FM station that would be claiming to play certain new releases when they never were. They called them "paper adds". KSAN is a real ball breaker as is KMET, as supposedly they did a good deal of quad, but so far have found very little in the way of actual shows that appear to be encoded (outside of that Steely Dan show of course). Oh well , the endless quest continues....

June 09,1973 page 20 ;
-K A A Radio Service Syndication now has 5,000 music selections in SQ.

-King Biscuit Flower Hour (D I R , Dig It Radio) requires 10-20 hours per program to complete the final SQ encoded program. The initial airing date is late April 73.

June 16 ,1973 page 52 ;
Gerald Budelman electrical engineer/SQ Projects , there are now 200 FM stations broadcasting in SQ .

June 23 ,1973 page 65 ;
Zenith Corp . demonstrates the 4X Discrete broadcast system .

These listings are so interesting to read about. Sometimes I wonder how real some of these listings actually were. In other words, even though the stations made the announcements, I wonder if they were doing all they say they were doing. When I was a kid, I interned at a Boston FM station that would be claiming to play certain new releases when they never were. They called them "paper adds". KSAN is a real ball breaker as is KMET, as supposedly they did a good deal of quad, but so far have found very little in the way of actual shows that appear to be encoded (outside of that Steely Dan show of course). Oh well , the endless quest continues....

That's a good point . I personally don't know of any other KMET program in QS , however it's difficult to know how many artists they broadcast in quad and for how long. It may have been a temporary experiment between the Record Plant and KMET .
Perhaps someone on QQ knows more and can enlighten us .

That's a good point . I personally don't know of any other KMET program in QS , however it's difficult to know how many artists they broadcast in quad and for how long. It may have been a temporary experiment between the Record Plant and KMET .
Perhaps someone on QQ knows more and can enlighten us .
"I'm all ears" if someone has anything to add. I'm always up for some education.

July 07 ,1973 page 14 ;
Agency Recording Studios in Cleveland have made live quad mixes for : King Crimson , Doc Watson , and Cold Blood for broadcast on WNCR FM .
(No mention of format)
....page 49;
KSLQ FM St Louis , broadcasts 24 hours in quad . They are an NBC affiliate .
(no mention of format)

July 14 ,1973 page 44+46 ;
Chicago has quadraphonic simulcast with WSDM FM and WDAI TV an ABC affiliate on the "InConcert" program .

August 04 ,1973 page 65 ;
Abbey Lincoln plays a live 4 and one half hour Concert at the Jean Jean , Tokyo to be broadcast in QS . The Concert recording date is midnight on June 30th and will air sometime in mid July.

July 07 ,1973 page 14 ;
Agency Recording Studios in Cleveland have made live quad mixes for : King Crimson , Doc Watson , and Cold Blood for broadcast on WNCR FM .
(No mention of format)
....page 49;
KSLQ FM St Louis , broadcasts 24 hours in quad . They are an NBC affiliate .
(no mention of format)

July 14 ,1973 page 44+46 ;
Chicago has quadraphonic simulcast with WSDM FM and WDAI TV an ABC affiliate on the "InConcert" program .

August 04 ,1973 page 65 ;
Abbey Lincoln plays a live 4 and one half hour Concert at the Jean Jean , Tokyo to be broadcast in QS . The Concert recording date is midnight on June 30th and will air sometime in mid July.
It never ends, does it?

August 25 ,1973 page 27 ;
KIRO FM Seattle broadcasts in both QS and SQ .

November 03 ,1973 page 60 ;
Miami area FM stations broadcasting in quad - WTMI , WBUS , WSHE , WLYF and WMYQ .
, WSHE FM -is 24 hours .
(no mention of format)

.....page 66 ;
CBS will be distributing the Sony SQE -2000 Encoder for the U.S . and Canada .

.....page 69 ;
KLOS FM in L . A. an ABC affiliate , goes QS for a 13 week series of broadcasts. Advertisement on page 69 for the KLOS ,Sansui sponsored series.

November 10 ,1973 page 110 ;
Don Nix (Enterprise Records) will perform an F M Live Concert from his midwest tour.
( no mention of format )

December 22 ,1973 page 16 ;
WLIR FM , New York is broadcasting in quad an AL KOOPER concert live via Ultra Sonic Studios .
(no mention of format)

January 12,1974 page 38 ;
KIRO FM , Seattle has been broadcasting in QS since Feb1971.

February 09 ,1974 page 27 ;
"Weekend Rock " has 150 stations for their quad simulcast . (Weekend Rock is Yuri Zabran Enterprises)
(no mention of format)

March 23 ,1974 page 68 ;
WSHE FM MIAMI , encodes QS quad for the Ft. Lauderdale / Miami area .

March 30,1974 page 99 ;
Finland's first quad broadcast , which was 6 hours , in the (O P) or "ORTHOSPECTA SYSTEM " included one BBC Proms and recordings from the European Broadcast Union . It was a FM/TV simulcast on Salora TV/Radio . The inventor is Tappio Koykka.

April 06 , 1974 page 16;
The N.A.R.M. which was meeting in Hollywood , Florida , was introduced to WSHE broadcasting in QS . There were many calls for single inventory (quad) recordings .

May 04 ,1974 page 85 ;
Stanley Kavan (CBS Records) states that both QS and SQ are now being broadcast over 500 FM stations.

July 13,1974 page 22 ;
Testing of Discrete FM Quad is occuring in the San Mateo/Frisco area and involves 33 stations .

August 03,1974 page 01+12;
Radio Forum NY NY will be broadcasting a QS Show and QS albums .

August 10 ,1974 page 35 ;
KZAP FM , Sacramento is broadcasting Prog Rock in SQ quad . In the past (1971), they have done a 3ch Discrete transmission as well as matrix quad .

September 07 ,1974 page 26 ;
- WYSP FM Philadelphia , encodes Rock programs in QS .
-Chicago Lyric Opera beams in SQ on WFMT .
-HERBIE HANCOCK 'S Live FM broadcast in Tokyo will be carried by no less than 4 FM stations . The July 16th Concert will be broadcast September 01 in QS on Sansui 's show " Four Channel Golden Stage ".
-"Sansui Popular Jamboree " will have 13 weeks of broadcast .
-Tokyo Music Festival which is sponsored by Sony will feature KENNY GAMBLE with LEON HUSK and THE THREE DEGREES .

September 28 ,1974 page 30;
KHOW FM Denver has a mobile unit equipped for quadraphonic .

......page 77 ;
The Rock radio show "ON TOUR " is in QS . Other show syndications are scheduled, namely "SOUL STOP" and " COUNTRY SUNSHINE EXPRESS".

October 19 ,1974 page 27;
WQIV FM NY NY , goes 24 hours in QS quad .

Back