70'S QUAD FM SYNDICATIONS AND SIMULCASTS-OTHER THAN BBC, KBFH

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, no chance of pulling a tardis out of the hat. Encoded cassettes can be a can of worms, even under the best circumstances. Anyway, the offer still stands - anyone with tapes they are looking to ditch send them my way and I'll get them on the computer.

Try a DeLorean????

After reading thar article in BB regarding the CBC !! quadcasting in SQ , ..... I was so very pissed off 😢!!

Why ,because I had asked them around that time if they ever had quad programs either active or not.

The chap on the phone said no ,but occasionally they play quad records .

So it would seem FM Stations had a lackadaisical interest in an any quad promotions. And yes I'm aware that the timing was in that period of "Quadraphonics is a dirty word".

Interesting that Andrew Marshall had the backing of the BBC Transcriptions quad mucky muck.

But even more interesting is that CBS gave him an SQ GHENT MIC SYSTEM for engineering recordings.
That's a bit of a wow factor , I think !?

View attachment 78395View attachment 78396
Well, I guess the next step would be trying to figure out any potential shows that might have been encoded and try to find air check tapes to check out. Either that or a CBC database, if there is such a thing.

KMOD - The Rainbow Station in Tulsa broadcast in Quad back in the '70s. Here is a sticker from back then.
kmod-sticker.jpg

"Kevin Childs program director at KWOD FM Sacramento ,reports that his new 50,000 Watt 24 hour Sansui Quad Station offers 6 hours a night of a Jazz (QS).

I remember when KWOD went on the air, though I can't remember what year that was. I actually called up at one point and reminded them that Pink Floyd had quad albums, though I don't think they ever played any of them. In fact, I honestly can't remember what their initial format was.

Several years later, my employer built a new office across the street from the old one and had enough room to rent space to others. The only other tenant I can remember was...KWOD. By that point quadraphonic was dead, but they kept the call letters for decades, finally changing them only relatively recently. [Edit: According to Wikipedia, KWOD shut down in 2009, meaning that in my head "relatively recently" means thirteen years ago. Old age is weird.]

I don't know if it was Kevin Childs or not, but some anus used to drive his Corvette (license plate: KWOD) all the way up the pedestrian walkway (which was also a fire lane) and leave it in front of the office door because, I guess, he was too important to spend the thirty seconds it would have taken to walk from the parking lot like an adult. He was told repeatedly to knock it off, but the fact that he had to be told repeatedly lets you know how much he cared.

It used to be more convenient for me to enter via the back door than the front and one morning when I came in very early the KWOD DJs were *blasting* the music so loud that the guest they were going to have on the program couldn't be heard knocking on the office door. He asked me if I could help, but I had no connection to the station whatsoever and didn't know how. This was well before the days of ubiquitous cell phones, of course. It won't make sense to anyone who didn't live in Sacramento (or have KTXL on their cable systems) at the time, but the guest was Tom LaBrie. I just remember him seeming enormously tall, and I'm about 1/4" shy of six feet myself.

Billboard now (april)reports on the new BBC MATRIX H QUADCASTING SYSTEM , in 77.....commencing Saturday April 30th 77 , coincidentally the same date as the CBC quadcasting in SQ date.

For details go the matrix quad section ,specifically "Matrix H articles" posts # 164 and #165.

June18 ,1977 pg 55

Sansui showing 2 QS Receivers demoing The Chicago Lyric Opera (QS Encoded) syndicated show and is now heard on 208 Stations nationwide.

June 25th 1977 pg1+21

FCC scheduled meeting for Quadraphonic Broadcasting discussions .
It's noted that both SQ and QS matrices are already in use for FM Broadcasting.

July 02 ND 1977 pg3

The FCC is issuing a "Notice Of Enquiry" on both AM stereo and Quadraphonic FM ,and are now soliciting enquires on both .

July 09th 1977 pg24

The FCC Commission Enquiry on Quadcasting is asking costing questions and Quadraphonic quantity of material , in Discrete if approved. (Also matrix costing as well)

Pg28+33
Billboard New York Talent Forum 1977 at The Bottom Line.

The forum includes FM promotions with Peter Kauff of King Biscuit Flower Hour , Bill Conti -Agency Recording , Seth Mason WXRT , Bob Sherwood CBS Promotion , George Duncan , Metromedia (and Radio Panel Chair ) , Scott Muni ,WNEW , and John Sebastian , KDWB .
Also artists , Managers and Record Promoters : Lee Abraham's, Burklaw Abraham's (CBS).

Pg69
WARSAW : Build first Q Radio Units
The Diora Radio Company here , have started on the first Polish radio Receivers based on the Quadraphonic system . The product is tradenamed "CEZAR" and was developed by Polish designers.
This year Diora is expected to provide the Polish market with around 1700 Quadraphonic Radios , though only one station ,WROCLAW , is currently broadcasting Quadraphonic programs here .

September 03 1977 pg87

FCC moves one inch closer to the quad decision and AM Stereo.

September 10th 1977 pg1+30

The FCC listener reaction to quad is due .
Listeners reactions at the FCC lab for 424 systems SQ , QS BBCH , and Discrete are now 45 months as the NQRC study began in 1972 . The tests include closed circuit ,and over the air broadcast listener tests.
The EIA consumer electronics group obtained an extension of time from the FCC . The association believes there hasn't been sufficient time allotted to warrant adoption of 4 Channel . Both SQ and QS were not submitted for final tests likely as they are in broadcast use now .

October 01 1977 pg1+38

FCC listeners findings Discrete edges matrix in FCC tests .
Listener tests are by 38 participants ranging in age from 20yrs to 40 ,within are 7 female , 31 male.
The rankings are as follows , first is Discrete 444 , 2nd SQ , 3rd BBC matrix H , 4th RCA 434 , and 5th is Sansui QS . .

Last edited:
October 22 1977pg33

The NRBA , meets to discuss the state of broadcasting Discrete vs, SQ QS matrix .
It is suggested the Dorren system be given some air time.

October 29th 1977 pg85

Toronto's Q107 CHUM FM Radio contains the Q , "because we anticipate broadcasting in quad in a few years"
-Dave Charles , Program Director .

Thanks for the memories of what could have been. Here is what I have on the Quad Radio Discography

LIVE AT THE AGORA
The "Expose Yourself in the Midwest"
campaign stated the concerts were "Recorded in SQ Quad" and broadcast on
stations within Ohio on FM-104 Toledo, WVUD Dayton, WCOL Columbus,
ACRN Athens, WMMS Cleveland, WDRD Youngstown and within Pennsylvania on
WMDI Erie, WYDD Pittsburgh, WIOQ Philadelphia. The artists listed for the
broadcasts include Peter Frampton, Hall & Oates, Genesis, Manfred Mann,
Savoy Brown, Patti Smith, Kiss, J. Geils, Dave Brubeck, Ted Nugent,
The Outlaws, Heart, Alice Cooper, Bad Company, Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen,
Boston, Bob Seger, Queen, David Bowie, Black Oak Arkansas, Johnny & Edgar
Winter, Prue Prairie League, The Grateful Dead. The concerts were recorded
live on 24-track reels by Agency studios and aired at a later date. The
Agora Broadcasts were also mention in Sansui's "Four Channel Scene"
newsletter being broadcast in QS and they were a main sponsor.
{With so many popular names everyone must say that their is something here to like
and hear decoded out of four speakers. I was always curious as to why I had not
heard of the broadcast as being quad while trading FM broadcast thru the mail from
about '73 on. It was not until I saw the ad that I started my hunt. I have yet to
find any of these shows taped on a home recorder or from a tape delivered to a radio
station that mentions a quad in the broadcast in 40 plus years. The search
continues. Mark Anderson}

I have to say that I do not know of one of those mentioned artist having a Quad broadcast from any of the Agora venue's.

I do have a bit more to come regarding the Agora shows, so don't despair.
Yes ,I agree where are some of these ? Sure would be nice. Mind you I did have a copy of one Sansui Jazz Show.
It' is worth noting they were not syndicated, just local ,State wide. OHIO ,PENNSYLVANIA, and neighborhood States within FM range .
Also it's important not to confuse the Sansui QS JAZZ shows*( once a week) , with the "Live At The Agora" SQ Rock Shows.

*Sansui presents "A Whole New World Of Jazz"

November 19th 1977 pg 56

The Agora chain of 4 clubs in Ohio are used for broadcast by 9 stations in Ohio and Pennsylvania and uses 24 track recording facility ,broadcast from the Cleveland Club . Which seats 2000 . All the performances are recorded in SQ quad .
"Some of the bands which have used Agora's recording on their albums include ; Savoy Brown , Rick Derringer , Iggy Pop , and Southside Johnny and The Asbury Dukes" , says LaConti .
In addition to clubs in Cleveland, Agora clubs are in Columbus, Youngstown, and Painesville.

November 26th 1977 pg49

LACONTI'S AGORA CLUB CIRCUIT LEADS IN THE MIDWEST
-Agency Recording mildly successful at best , was purchased by LaConti and is now in house taping for The Agora Concerts and a 50 Station Radio network.
The LaConti clubs have approximately 3000 seating capacity . Agora nightspots now encompass Detroit ,
Cleveland , and Columbus .

December 03rd 1977 pg110

DISCRETE "Q"
-Matsushita embarks on Discrete Q Broadcasting Information.
-Vic Goh ,JVC America and Oscar Kusisto are joining in a campaign to educate broadcasters on Discrete Casts.
Simultaneous sessions to be starting in LOS Angeles, New York Monday December 28,-29th , Boston
December 01- 02 , Washington December 06-09th , Detroit December 12-13th , Chicago December 15th-16th , Kusisto is formerly with Motorola.
A low power off air demonstration will be presented, including some Q-Biphonic tapes which demonstrate the full spectrum of possibilities for FM Broadcasting .
This is not a battle for Discrete vs. Matrix . Everyone in radio already has the opportunity to broadcast Matrix.
Matrix does not require FCC approval.

FCC Equiry On Four Channel Broadcast ,is near .
They are still getting submissions at December 16th deadline . So far they have received 639 comments since November 23rd .
387 indicate Quadcasting (61%)
153 " 444 (24%)
93 " Matrix(15%)
68 " SQ (11%)
13 " any matrix (02%)
01% indicated QS ,less than .5 indicated BBC H , and 01% were against quad.

Last edited:
November 19th 1977 pg 56

The Agora chain of 4 clubs in Ohio are used for broadcast by 9 stations in Ohio and Pennsylvania and uses 24 track recording facility ,broadcast from the Cleveland Club . Which seats 2000 . All the performances are recorded in SQ quad .
"Some of the bands which have used Agora's recording on their albums include ; Savoy Brown , Rick Derringer , Iggy Pop , and Southside Johnny and The Asbury Dukes" , says LaConti .
In addition to clubs in Cleveland, Agora clubs are in Columbus, Youngstown, and Painesville.

November 26th 1977 pg49

LACONTI'S AGORA CLUB CIRCUIT LEADS IN THE MIDWEST
-Agency Recording mildly successful at best , was purchased by LaConti and is now in house taping for The Agora Concerts and a 50 Station Radio network.
The LaConti clubs have approximately 3000 seating capacity . Agora nightspots now encompass Detroit ,
Cleveland , and Columbus .

Also you can add Patti Smith to artists that used Agency Recording's live broadcasts on their albums.

I can't add to this other than Agora bought out the "Other Place" or OP as we called it on Florida Ave in Tampa and renamed it "The Agora Ballroom" which I always found strange. I saw a lot of class acts/recording artists there but no actual recording or broadcasts (at least in Tampa) that I recall. This would have been early '80s. Before that I never heard of them but was told by my favorite bartender they were based in Ohio. Never made the connection until now.
Sink or Swim nights $9/couple & 1 & 2 dollar house brands. No bullshit bouncers that kept the place running smooth. Motel overnight or Woozy rides back to Lakeland. (dedicated non-woozy driver usually)

Back