A Bad Think – The Savior (BD-A): Double album available via CD Baby/FLAC download (B. Clearmountain mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was late last night and I couldn't listen at proper volumes to evaluate the mix. I've listened to a couple songs this morning (at proper volumes) and I would not call it a "stereo+" type mix; as it is more enveloping than that. There are occasional discrete elements in the rears and lots of synths. I would say M. Marquart's description is accurate, in a good way.

I think the weakest part of the mix is the boosted center channel. It could stand to be reduced a notch or two. However, I have to say - I'm enjoying it - a lot!

Here's a screenshot of the song "The Righteous" to illustrate my point about the center channel:

TheSavior_TheRighteous.JPG

Well, I can't really tell myself. The only direct reference I've found is this picture, which comes without any comment from A Bad Think's FB profile, so it might not be the actual final product:
View attachment 42504
And actually, there might be a download option - Immersive Audio Album is a site that is selling The Savior album plus the single, Feel Me ($1.99). As it says "lossless 5.1 audio", I'm thinking FLAC files...

Thanks for all the information on this one man band. As bluray's are gone for now, will wait for a few reports to see whether to try getting on wait list for bluray or ordering the flac's.

It was late last night and I couldn't listen at proper volumes to evaluate the mix. I've listened to a couple songs this morning (at proper volumes) and I would not call it a "stereo+" type mix; as it is more enveloping than that. There are occasional discrete elements in the rears and lots of synths. I would say M. Marquart's description is accurate, in a good way.

I think the weakest part of the mix is the boosted center channel. It could stand to be reduced a notch or two. However, I have to say - I'm enjoying it - a lot!

thanks for the info and the waveform pic., all encouraging! what contents is primarily in the (admittedly out of whack looking) Centre channel?

thanks for the info and the waveform pic., all encouraging! what contents is primarily in the (admittedly out of whack looking) Centre channel?
Primarily lead vocals. Sometimes I think I hear some drums and lead guitar there as well; though I believe those are spread out to the fronts also.

I downloaded the 5.1 FLACs haven't been able to play them yet - I did have an issue with one track which wouldn't download, contacted Immersive Audio and shortly afterwards they sent me a new link :)

I had the same problem when I couldn't download track 1 ( all the others were fine) so Immersive had to send a separate link which solved the problem. Hopefully they've now sorted out their website.

rings.jpg

Telltale bands of a burned BD-A R. I needed some light, so the inclusion of garbage and recycling bins across the alley was not intended as symbolism. Trying to write through a migraine; let me get some more thoughts down for those of you interested.

The comments in the initial post of this thread are a good description of the mix, and, as @sukothai notes, in a GOOD way. The mix is immersive, enveloping, encompassing, and it really fits the music, enhances the listening experience. Maybe the best way I can describe it with one full listen under my belt (and it's playing now as I type) is that Clearmountain has two distinct stereo mixes going on: one in the front and one in the rears and the vocals (and as noted, with drums or synths or . . .) firmly anchored in the center (and spread out across the front soundstage). Background vocals and lush synth swells and strings and percussion and guitars are mostly in the rears (though some interesting and effective surprises throughout). Bass, lead guitar, drums, synths. lead vox up front. And, as noted in @haikubass 's intial reddit grab, these elements are often panned to the sides, giving me that feeling that I am enveloped in the mix ("dispersed around you," as Marquart says). It is a very enjoyable and pleasing experience for me.

Content. Watch the two videos in the first post. "Falling Star" is more indicative of the whole album's feel. The visuals are great in both videos. The feeling of a personal journey of self-exploration, self-questioning, self-discovery on a mysterious river with a shadowy guide in order to find some hidden inner space where prophets speak through ancient texts (wow--Ima need to take some migraine meds soon!) is indicative of the feel of the whole album. Throughout, life/death, hope/despair, sin/redemption, love/loss, finite/infinite, flesh/spirit, blah/blech are juxtaposed. It's ultimately a hopeful and revelatory album, but a feeling of darkness pervades the whole. Again, really only one listen, but Marquart is reaching for something here: who or what is the savior; is it something that can be found within us, something we are only vaguely aware of, something that becomes more apparent and clear as we near the end of our mortal lives and approach infinity . . . which we've never really left? Okay, I'm really gonna need to take a few pills and go back to bed!

The album comprises 18 tracks, 17 of which are originals. The final track, Greg Lake's "C'est la Vie," is an apt cover and closer to the album. Oh, and the first video, "Feel Me" powerfully portrays that sense of confusion, loss, futility as one pursues Art, follows one's inner Muse. Are there too many distractions that keep us separated from Truth? C'est la vie! This shot of the disc might be a better metaphor for how it feels to me:

trees.jpg

Finally, to @fredblue 's point: yes, I would rather have a FLAC than play BD/CD/DVD R Roulette, but I am glad I have this physical copy to support A Bad Think. I'm not sure what the reality of the music biz is (economics and production and distribution); in my mind, it may be quite an expense to go the route of genuine BD-A, and artists may be forced to use R discs to get their product out. I'm glad such a powerful and thoughtful and current release as this is out in surround. Maybe if Marquart is reading this, he will send those of us who bought this disc a link to download FLACs of all tracks.

Okay, that wasn't really finally, was it? Long-winded, pedantic, recovering Engl-ish teachers! This is a double album (Book One and Book Two); as with many double albums, a shorter release would make it more powerful, but I'm always glad to have everything (number nine . . . number nine . . . number nine . . . )

Last edited:
Adam, I expect an elaborate review, call it a "Think Piece' regarding the Bob Clearmountain, Bernie Grundman mastered BD~A of "A Bad Think....The Savior" in a Shakespearean Sonnet format......containing no lard from the reincarnated bard!
Okay, I'm no @fredblue--forgive me, Adam: I'm not writing for you; this is no review, but I thought it would be fun to cram 18 song titles into 14 lines of rhymed iambic pentameter . . . bad idea!

Begin going Down Low . . . heroic quest
The Righteous establish dichotomy
And start the march toward death by Going West
If That’s What Love Means--(k)no(w) autonomy

Now You Know you’re awake--All Eyes On Him
So much pressure, but It’s Good To Be Young
The Chosen One--is life nothing but sin?
The King’s Crown--the only song to be sung

You see, each of us is a Falling Star
Th’ apotheosis, say Hallelujah
Can you Feel Me? Do you know The Best Part?
A Chance Has Lost--is there hope for union?

The Worst Part is we’re lost, The Winter’s Long
But now--Safe And Sound; C’est La Vie--(k)new song

all apologies, to Adam . . . and the Bard!

Okay, I'm no @fredblue--forgive me, Adam: I'm not writing for you; this is no review, but I thought it would be fun to cram 18 song titles into 14 lines of rhymed iambic pentameter . . . bad idea!

Begin going Down Low . . . heroic quest
The Righteous establish dichotomy
And start the march toward death by Going West
If That’s What Love Means--(k)no(w) autonomy

Now You Know you’re awake--All Eyes On Him
So much pressure, but It’s Good To Be Young
The Chosen One--is life nothing but sin?
The King’s Crown--the only song to be sung

You see, each of us is a Falling Star
Th’ apotheosis, say Hallelujah
Can you Feel Me? Do you know The Best Part?
A Chance Has Lost--is there hope for union?

The Worst Part is we’re lost, The Winter’s Long
But now--Safe And Sound; C’est La Vie--(k)new song

all apologies, to Adam . . . and the Bard!

See the source image

I had kind of forgotten about this one but ran across the album in my Spotify library. I never did purchase the 5.1 but after listening again to the stereo version on Spotify I think I will give it a go. Musically some of the songs remind me of Sea Change by Beck.

The 5.1 is only available via download apparently but fortunately is on sale here:

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/the-savior/

This had been showing up on my Facebook feed advertised for the last year or more it seems. I’d always considered getting it but never did. A poster above mentioned this reminds them of Beck’s Sea Change which I love so hell with it. Bought it today and I gotta say I like it a lot. Sonics are very good, nice mix and music is cool.

And it can only help the surround movement if these are selling I’d think.

Back