Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2022 release from A Bad Think entitled "X".
The Blu-Ray disc contains a Dolby Atmos mix of the album by Bob Clearmountain.
High-resolution Dolby Atmos files can be purchased at Immersive Audio Album.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.

(y):)(n)
ABT X Front.jpeg
ABT X BD.jpeg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:

Sal1950

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Holy Cow, this polls been up since Aug and no ones voted?
I just seen it myself, I don't cover things as well as I should.
Anywho I'm not a huge fan of Bad Think but the cost of the download from IAA was right so I got it some time back. I'm enjoying the album quite a bit and the Atmos mix is good but my biggest complaint is the large discrepancies in volume level between tracks? The largest change is going from Track 3 to Track 4, it will have you leaping for the volume control, with T4 being so much louder. Wish I had a way to do a dynamic range measurement on a Atmos .mkv file or something but the difference isn't subtle?
I need to check this against Apple if it's there in Atmos?
In any case I can't vote until I find out what the problem is?

Sal1950

QQ Supporter
Update,
I just checked the version on Apple TV and the issue seems to not exist or if it does it's much less disturbing-drastic ? Strange.
I'm hoping someone else will post about their IAA file, it just seems off to me. I'll vote based on the Apple music Atmos file. I gave it an 8 but might have gone to a 9 if I wasn't being so confused by the IAA file :unsure:
Sorry

sjcorne

Staff member
The largest change is going from Track 3 to Track 4, it will have you leaping for the volume control, with T4 being so much louder. Wish I had a way to do a dynamic range measurement on a Atmos .mkv file or something but the difference isn't subtle?
I need to check this against Apple if it's there in Atmos?
You had me worried for a second there that the dialnorm level was not consistent across all tracks (I prepped & QC'd these files), but everything seems fine on my end? I added the Apple Music link to the first post if you want to compare, but there shouldn't be any difference - all versions are sourced from the same ADM master.

"Hungry Eyes"
03 Hungry Eyes 7-1.jpg

"The Avenue"
04 The Avenue 7-1.jpg

Sal1950

QQ Supporter
Music link to the first post if you want to compare, but there shouldn't be any difference - all versions are sourced from the same ADM master.
I guess it's me then, something just doesn't seem right with the IAA download file, the Apple stream is ok. ???