HiRez Poll A Bad Think - X [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of A Bad Think - X

• 9:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Hmm. I have listened to the atmos files here (in 5.1) a few times and have not had a volume issue. Not enough for me to change the violume, anyway. Now I'm wondering, "why haven't I had a problem!?" I did convert the mkv to m4a but I doubt that could be it. I use replaygain but it uses the album replaygain data so that is also probably not it. Given how Atmos folds into 5.1 that's unlikely to be it either. *shrugs*

I don't know, @Stupy , the way my listening room is configured, I do sit closer to my rear speakers (really rears, side surrounds, rear top and mid tops) than my fronts, this is a fact. However the system has been calibrated with the Dirac calibration system so there's that. In the end, I just don't know other than I do detect a sudden volume change at one point. I will try to have time to give another listen today and positively identify the point at which the volume increase occurs and from which speakers.

Last edited:
Well it occurs that no one has really given a review of the album. I am reviewing from the download tracks, atmos MKV.
It was mastered by Bob Ludwig and mixed by Bob Clearmountain, the same as the previous album but I could find no information on who did the Atmos mix. Steve Genewick and Dave Way did the Atmos mix on the previous album.

So if you like Marquart's style, "X" is pretty much in the same vein as "lifelike", content wise. Stories of life, his I presume or his observations thereof. His style is pretty laid back, more of a storyteller than to hammer you with chords. At times he can seem a little too laid back. However after listening to some releases that are jarring with ear fatigue, Marquart can be a welcome calm and a soothing voice in what seems like a world gone mad at times.
My favorite track is "Seventeen" for the story it tells, reminiscent of youthful marriage and aging regret some of us experience down life's hallways.

I found the Atmos mix pretty tame.

I rated as an 8. If the Atmos mix had been a wee bit more "spatial" I would have rated as a 9.

It was mastered by Bob Ludwig and mixed by Bob Clearmountain, the same as the previous album but I could find no information on who did the Atmos mix. Steve Genewick and Dave Way did the Atmos mix on the previous album.
Clearmountain did the Atmos mix for this one. When Lifelike came out, he was only set up to do stereo & 5.1 so the Atmos mix had to be done elsewhere.

I gave those MKV files another run through. Several actually. Still found the one song to have the level inconsistency from the others.. Converted to 5.1 FLAC it's not apparent at all. But that's my take on it.
Anyway, glad to have them.

Back