A Brad Miller Moment

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
With restrictions being eased it was a chance for my oldest g’daughter to resume softball & for my wife & I to enjoy the game. This morning 8 am we were there with some warm sun & a cool breeze very nice & with out masks.

BALL FIELD 2.jpg

I post this pic to show our vantage point on a hill, just us, that’s why no masks. Usually we would be in the shade of a shelter with everyone else. Something else unique about this vantage point is the sound. Much different than being close to the dug outs. The BONK of a softball came from dead center front. The cheers & coaches calls was a very nice “stereo” soundfield panned across left to right. A trash truck doing its thing was dead center right. Cars on the roadway circling the parking lot made a nice loop from left front circling around behind me & exited right back.

Also behind me there was a considerable amount of heavy machinery & earth excavation going on directly behind me:

CONSTRUCTION 2.jpg

Engine noise, dumping into excavation trucks, back up beeps. It was like a panoply of sounds going left & right behind me on a conveyor belt.

Besides the Mystic Moods Orchestra Brad Miller was all about bringing big sounds from outdoors to the smaller indoors. Lots of trains, fly overs, traffic, etc. Not really what would make me sit down with some wine for an evening. Still very ambitious challenge & he did it the best.

I thought how he would have enjoyed this outdoor organic surround sound like I was. I pondered how it would best be recorded and what it would sound like on play back. I paid so much attention to these thoughts of Brad & the sounds that I don’t think I “saw” much of the game. To other people all of this sound would just be background noise. But I think quad/surround fans notice the audio environment much more, I am in good company. I also enjoyed the company of Brad this morning if only in my mind.

Edit: There was also the occasional noisy bird or 2 flying over head. I guess that was the ATMOS part of the event.

With restrictions being eased it was a chance for my oldest g’daughter to resume softball & for my wife & I to enjoy the game. This morning 8 am we were there with some warm sun & a cool breeze very nice & with out masks.

View attachment 52863

I post this pic to show our vantage point on a hill, just us, that’s why no masks. Usually we would be in the shade of a shelter with everyone else. Something else unique about this vantage point is the sound. Much different than being close to the dug outs. The BONK of a softball came from dead center front. The cheers & coaches calls was a very nice “stereo” soundfield panned across left to right. A trash truck doing its thing was dead center right. Cars on the roadway circling the parking lot made a nice loop from left front circling around behind me & exited right back.

Also behind me there was a considerable amount of heavy machinery & earth excavation going on directly behind me:

View attachment 52864

Engine noise, dumping into excavation trucks, back up beeps. It was like a panoply of sounds going left & right behind me on a conveyor belt.

Besides the Mystic Moods Orchestra Brad Miller was all about bringing big sounds from outdoors to the smaller indoors. Lots of trains, fly overs, traffic, etc. Not really what would make me sit down with some wine for an evening. Still very ambitious challenge & he did it the best.

I thought how he would have enjoyed this outdoor organic surround sound like I was. I pondered how it would best be recorded and what it would sound like on play back. I paid so much attention to these thoughts of Brad & the sounds that I don’t think I “saw” much of the game. To other people all of this sound would just be background noise. But I think quad/surround fans notice the audio environment much more, I am in good company. I also enjoyed the company of Brad this morning if only in my mind.

Edit: There was also the occasional noisy bird or 2 flying over head. I guess that was the ATMOS part of the event.
A true Quadiophile to the Bone! :love:

View attachment 52863

View attachment 52864

I´d add to that (from my point of hearing), the tinnitus perennae I have had for decades and the heartbeat when it´s quiet...
on that note I love whoever did the sound design for "Being John Malkovich" when they tackled the way you hear your own voice as opposed to how others hear it which is something I had a lot of problems with when I heard this high pitched thing that is my ..man´s (not that manly) voice...on the other hand it helps me when I have to hit the high notes when singing/playing, which I haven´t done since forever...

If you turn Brad Miller's train records up loud enough, it's just as exciting as when a real train passes by. Ref,"Sound In Motion".

"I told my baby with the ukulele..."

Doug

Great to see you on the forum again Doug....almost a 2 year gap from 2018 to 2020 and now you are posting again...I wondered what happened to you...you were missed (y)

Thanks! My quad system was down while moving which actually started four years ago but I have it back up again so my interest is refreshed.

I just bought 4 CD-4's I didn't have yet, too - The Fisher test and demonstration record, Hair, Carly, Playing Possum, and Rubinstein/Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto.

The Fisher record is neat because it has front center, right center, back center, and left center identified in addition to the usual four.

Doug

Back