A (just for fun) poll: What would you want the next Quadio box to be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should the next Rhino Quadio box be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
There's some good chat over on this thread with ideas for the next Quadio box. I thought it might be fun to put it up to a poll vote. (I know, I know, jumping the gun here a bit. Many of us, myself included, haven't even received our Doobies boxes yet!).

Again, this is just for fun, no official ties to the good folks at Rhino here. For the poll choices, I picked 10 Warner associated acts who have at least two quad titles. And you can choose up to three choices.

I'm going with Joni Mitchell, Randy Newman & The Eagles. California in the 70's, gotta love it! ☮ :)

It is really hard to choose so I had to pick the 3 artists that I would play the most. Eagles, Spinners and Gordon Lightfoot. I would certainly buy them all though...eventually. Wasn't there an SACD or two from Seals and Crofts already? I'd have looked at my shelf but I am not at home. I still like my cereal box toy idea though, make them all and sell us a custom Warner Brothers box to store them all in. Kinda like those groups that sold the first record in a set with a box that can hold all the others once they are released. I'd love to see all Warner's quads finally released from tape library bondage before they need to get baked instead of us.

My top 3 would be Joni Mitchell, Randy Newman, and The Spinners, in that order. But I'd buy any of them, enthusiastically (except maybe Jefferson Airplane!).

I also like the idea that one of the commenters on the Second Disc Doobies Quadio review mooted: a "West Coast" box, or a "singer-songwriter" box--something like that.

My only question, factoring in that Warners owns the QUAD masters* do they still have to get clearances from the individual artists to release them?

I chose Joni, Carly and Gordon Lightfoot but IMO, they're ALL worthy contenders for re~release on QUAD BD~A.

*Edit: Frank Sinatra's September of My Years was pre~announced in the early 00's for a DVD~A 5.1 release but scrapped and AFAIK all Sinatra's Reprise masters are controlled by the Sinatra Family Trust with sporadic reissues being done by the Concord Music Group.

Last edited:
There are SO many great old QUAD titles to choose from and with the seeming success and demand of the Doobies/Chicago Quadio Boxsets, perhaps Warners will finally fulfill the promise of their BD~A launch a few scant years ago and start releasing individual titles one by one rather than going the boxset route. And those artists with multiple QUAD albums might even include an occasional TWO~FER like Dutton Vocalion [and be priced accordingly]

This is based on an observation that the Chicago and Doobies Quadio boxsets were released to coincide with their induction into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of fame.

I don't presume to speak for Steve, but I can tell you that he is as big a fan of quad and surround as we are. I mean, he really is. He loves the stuff. I am confident that if he could he would have all of this stuff released. So we definitely have a like minded person on "the inside", but it takes a lot more than an insider to get the above titles released. Some of them would be doable, some probably no shot.

But it never hurts to show our enthusiasm. Please don't bother him with PMs and such, though. In the past that type of thing has discouraged other industry folks from coming back.

I only meant that if he had proof of demand to show up the corporate ladder we might get some more. I have to admit I prefer the Foraging Rhino moniker as it kinda sounds like he gets to go on a hunt for lost masters.

I don't presume to speak for Steve, but I can tell you that he is as big a fan of quad and surround as we are. I mean, he really is. He loves the stuff. I am confident that if he could he would have all of this stuff released. So we definitely have a like minded person on "the inside", but it takes a lot more than an insider to get the above titles released. Some of them would be doable, some probably no shot.

But it never hurts to show our enthusiasm. Please don't bother him with PMs and such, though. In the past that type of thing has discouraged other industry folks from coming back.

One thing I DO know is that all record conglomerates LOVE success and with the overwhelmingly positive response and reviews of the Doobies Quadio boxset, perhaps Rhino will put Steel Woole in charge of systematically releasing their treasure trove of QUAD masters on a more consistent basis since steel woole was SO instrumental in overseeing its release.

Last edited:
All the JEFFERSON AIRPLANE quads! Please!

Is that so much to ask? Jorma has lately been on a tear with his quarantine concerts on YouTube, so now would be a great time!

Normally I'd jump and shout for Joni. Still would, but after JA ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back