Unreleased Doors 5.1 Concert Mixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiodaddy

Happened upon a copy of "The Doors Live in Hollywood - Highlights from the Aquarius Theatre Performances." This isn't the title issued in the US by the Bright Midnight Doors mail-order operation (they also put out separate discs of the two complete shows). It's a WEA International import from Australia with 16 tracks. Found it in a local supermarket for USD $6.99, and it's worth every penny and then some - Kreiger smokes on this one.

The liner notes include detailed technical info about the recording - tape machines, consoles, mikes, tape stocks - they even go into the anomaly of how the recorders they used slowed down toward the end of the reels (they were not servo-controlled). They staggered the start of the various recorders to insure that they got every note, with the result that the masters had to be speed-corrected to make the first half of a song match the second when they spread over two tapes.

Of interest to this board is a liner note that the multitracks were digitally mixed, edited, and mastered to stereo and 5.1 surround. I checked All Music and the Doors website and could find no indication that the surround mix was released in any form, including DVD video, anywhere in the world. I'm guessing that the concerts were filmed, because Botnick wrote that it was not customary at the time to have a closed-circuit video monitor backstage to see what was going on out front, implying that there were cameras running.

Has anyone else ever heard of these mixes? The stereo sound is excellent, and I'd hazard a guess that the surround mixes would be classic.

GREAT price on that! I paid $20 six months ago. I believe I posted the liner notes 5.1 details here then. Those mixes were prepared during a time when the world was ready for DVD-A. We're fighting our way to that place again now.

Looked them up. Suspected the same when I read the copyright date on the CD. Shame to think they're gathering dust in a vault somewhere. Perhaps if they are satisfied with the reception for the Perception box they'd consider issuing these, but then, I'm still seeing copies of the box in on-line stores and my local bricks-and-mortar shop, and Rhino also chose to release the individual studio remixes w/o the surround material. Not a good sign.

Back