A Message From Marshall - Audio Fidelity to Close Shop

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( Not good news

Sad news, indeed. I posted just last week that they canceled their upcoming SACD of Quincy Jones THE DUDE and had NO upcoming titles announced...which I found unusual. I have a LOT of their GOLD HDCD encoded RBCDs, Stereo SACDs and of course almost ALL of their QUAD/5.1 SACDS. Best of luck to Marshall Blonstein and company.

As far as MFSL going out of business........they've certainly curtailed their SACD Stereo output significantly but their first LOVE.....custom vinyl is alive and well and they also have the backing of parent company, Music Direct.

The announcement from Marshall Blonstein at Audio Fidelity that the company is closing it's doors.

Dear Music Lovers:

After much deliberation and much back and forth, I have decided to wind down Audio Fidelity.
It was a very, very difficult decision. It has been a great 17 year run with Audio Fidelity.

Looking back, we have been fortunate to work with so many great artists. These recording stars have trusted us with their music and have applauded the quality of our albums and CDs. I’m grateful to Cosby, Stills & Nash, Phil Collins, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Simon & Garfunkel, Kate Bush, Sade, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Jethro Tull, the Doors, Deep Purple, Yes, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt, The Grateful Dead, Dio, Billy Joel, Santana, Rush, Alice Cooper, The Beach Boys and many, many, many more along with their managers and representatives.

Many of our original soundtracks such as Blade Runner, Tron were among our most successful releases. So many great titles, so much great music.

I want to give a special thanks for the support that our 24K Gold, Vinyl and Platinum Club Members have given us these many years. Your support, encouragement, suggestions have been very important to our success.

I look back with enormous pride to be able to work with Steve Hoffman (again) Kevin Gray (again) and Stephen Marsh. We were always on the same page with our goal to create the best sounding remasters. Our goal was to enhance the sound…never to change it. I am certain that the Audio Fidelity catalog will stand the test of time.

It’s time to move on. There are other passions and projects that have my interest.

We have made an arrangement with Bob Bantz of Elusive Disc to handle all current inventory. He will take care of all your CD, SACD and vinyl needs.

The Vault will remain open on the Audio Fidelity website for a short period of time. I’ve given our archives and collectible titles to two of our employees, who will keep the Vault and the collectibles available to you until they are sold out.

I want to thank you all of you for your suggestions and your support over the last 17 years. It’s been a nice ride and I’m glad that you were able to ride along with me.

Will the bug bite me again? I can never say never but for now I want to thank you for allowing us to have shared with you the music we love.

Marshall

Sad but I would not be shocked if MFSL also was over within a year.

As it turns out, Mobile Fidelity is owned by Music Direct and is getting into new ventures these days.

Including, not only their line of Vinyl LP reissues, but they also are a distributor for high-end audio products including Balanced Audio Technology, IsoTek, Primaire, Quad, TAD, and Wharfedale.
http://mofidistribution.com/

So I think Mobile Fidelity and Music Direct will continue on.

I am curious anyone know how old Marshall is as hasn't he been in the record/cd/music business for quite along time.

Like many things that are going bye/bye, yes its sad but happy for whatever Marshall will be doing next as like with many of us, speaking for myself any ways I am currently ready to turn page on one career as well as have put in 40 years with one company and its time for a new chapter and new challenge in life.

I just sent Marshall a note. I really hope that the M/C series of SACDs were not a major cause of AF's downfall. That would be a shame. A real shame.

Jon, I'm sure it was a contributing factor but IMO, the writing is clearly on the wall that SACD reissues, in general, are an imperiled species at ALL the U.S. reissue companies. I'm certain it didn't help that ALL SACDs had to be pressed in Austria versus Vinyl which is pressed domestically and the higher prices charged for these reissues and exacerbated by NO FURTHER DISCOUNT ALLOWED, MOST especially at Acoustic Sounds on newer releases doesn't help the situation.

Marshall Blonstein, as Clint Eastwood stated, is a class act, was very much pro surround and valiantly dealt with the Majors who, IMO, placed a lot of obstacles in his path to achieve what he did with his QUAD/5.1 SACD reissue program. Not every release was a winner in everyone's eyes, but in mine it was an unqualified success. Had the majors been more receptive to the proposition that someone [AF] was willing to clear their vaults of older 70's QUAD material and had simplified the royalties/red tape process associated with each and every title, the outcome may have been different........but alas, it was NOT!

Hopefully, Marshall will move on as he suggests and find a niche more amenable to his robust talents. For 17 years, Audio Fidelity bestowed upon us some memorable treasures and that will certainly be AF's enduring/endearing legacy.:)

Jon, I'm sure it was a contributing factor but IMO, the writing is clearly on the wall that SACD reissues, in general, are an imperiled species at ALL the U.S. reissue companies.

Not to mention the declining sales of all optical discs in the market.
Sadly the trend continues.

As it turns out, Mobile Fidelity is owned by Music Direct and is getting into new ventures these days.

Including, not only their line of Vinyl LP reissues, but they also are a distributor for high-end audio products including Balanced Audio Technology, IsoTek, Primaire, Quad, TAD, and Wharfedale.
http://mofidistribution.com/

So I think Mobile Fidelity and Music Direct will continue on.
I'd rather keep AF and see MOFI go under. Other than rice paper sleeves I have no use for them.

The original MFSL on Japanese Quiex vinyl was often superior to standard releases and occasionally so superior that it made the first pressings obsolete (The first two REM albums, for example). The current MFSL (IMHO, of course) is just a money grab. I've checked out several titles and none of them sound as good as early presses which I already own.

I'd rather keep AF and see MOFI go under. Other than rice paper sleeves I have no use for them.

Actually, markshan, the folks at Music Direct [which own MoFi] are very decent folks and I've had a lot of nice/helpful chats with them and have procured a LOT of my current equipment from them.....at excellent prices!

Ever try making 'soup' out of those rice paper sleeves? :eek: just add a dash of pepper

Actually, markshan, the folks at Music Direct [which own MoFi] are very decent folks and I've had a lot of nice/helpful chats with them and have procured a LOT of my current equipment from them.....at excellent prices!

Ever try making 'soup' out of those rice paper sleeves?:eek: just add a dash of pepper
It's nothing personal, I'm just not impressed with their product.

Back