a new method

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
the bulk of this probably belongs in a different thread/forum - but as it's really about how i prep the quad portion of my shows for "broadcast"
I'll submit it here -
up until now I would take multi tracks and mixed them to QS through software. If, for one of my shows, I wanted to play, say, Lynn Anderson's greatest hits,
in quad; I'd separate the quad source into LF, RF, LR, RR. Then I'd use software to encode the 4 mono signals into a QS encoded 2 channel file. -
In comes the Involve encoder - forgetting for the moment the quality of the output (in terms of later decode) - I can now run the 4 channel source into that little
circuit board you see in the picture, and out to a PC. -
If I need to make analog artifact corrections, I still need to get the mono waves onto the PC - and the encode is now done in real time
(the software encodes a 45 minute LP in about 4 minutes).
HOWEVER-
my software is limited to 4 in 2 out; the involve has a 5th input for the dread center channel. and, my software is geared toward CD quality - meaning 16x44 - the involve - no such limitation.
now - for the encode/decode quality.....

stay tuned :) -
involve.jpg

the bulk of this probably belongs in a different thread/forum - but as it's really about how i prep the quad portion of my shows for "broadcast"
I'll submit it here -
up until now I would take multi tracks and mixed them to QS through software. If, for one of my shows, I wanted to play, say, Lynn Anderson's greatest hits,
in quad; I'd separate the quad source into LF, RF, LR, RR. Then I'd use software to encode the 4 mono signals into a QS encoded 2 channel file. -
In comes the Involve encoder - forgetting for the moment the quality of the output (in terms of later decode) - I can now run the 4 channel source into that little
circuit board you see in the picture, and out to a PC. -
If I need to make analog artifact corrections, I still need to get the mono waves onto the PC - and the encode is now done in real time
(the software encodes a 45 minute LP in about 4 minutes).
HOWEVER-
my software is limited to 4 in 2 out; the involve has a 5th input for the dread center channel. and, my software is geared toward CD quality - meaning 16x44 - the involve - no such limitation.
now - for the encode/decode quality.....

stay tuned :) -
View attachment 44121
That is cool. I look forward to hearing your experiances & your 1st show using the Involve encode. Truly you, Chucky, & Edisonbaggins are like true surround sound evangelists! Yeah the only down side is if it's a 45 min record it takes that time plus set up to do an encode.

The biggest benefit to using the Involve method is it gives great QS surround without the left/right width compression of regular QS.

[QUOTE="
The biggest benefit to using the Involve method is it gives great QS surround without the left/right width compression of regular QS.
[/QUOTE]

for my specific uses, the benefit (at least on discrete source material that doesn't require much artifact repair) is how much less work there is.
for the average reel I have to convert it to digital (which is still done in real time) - then plug each mono wav into the software, and
run the encoder. with this device I physically plug the tape output into the involve, and connect the output into the PC.
the two big pluses in terms of the mechanics - I can use any PC, not just the one with the specific software I use - and I'm not limited
to 16x44 (not an issue for broadcast, but for the real world, thats something) - also when I'm working with multi-tracks, the best mix
calls for a center channel - with my software - I either put it in all 4 channels - which I can get away with in QS ....SQ, not so much -
but with the involve - I actually have a place to put it.
there is a lot of testing I need to do, to find the optimal settings I'm just reporting back on the logistics for now. but my firsy
quick tests....wow.

[QUOTE="
for my specific uses, the benefit (at least on discrete source material that doesn't require much artifact repair) is how much less work there is.
for the average reel I have to convert it to digital (which is still done in real time) - then plug each mono wav into the software, and
run the encoder. with this device I physically plug the tape output into the involve, and connect the output into the PC.
the two big pluses in terms of the mechanics - I can use any PC, not just the one with the specific software I use - and I'm not limited
to 16x44 (not an issue for broadcast, but for the real world, thats something) - also when I'm working with multi-tracks, the best mix
calls for a center channel - with my software - I either put it in all 4 channels - which I can get away with in QS ....SQ, not so much -
but with the involve - I actually have a place to put it.
there is a lot of testing I need to do, to find the optimal settings I'm just reporting back on the logistics for now. but my firsy
quick tests....wow.
I really appreciate the time, care and experience it takes to pull this off Bill - It's all Gold to me!🥇 🤩

Back