A Sansui fan...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My then sister-in-law came into some money back in about 1973 as a result of a car accident and she and her no good boyfriend bought a '63 Stingray. He was trying to show off to somebody, one day, and backed it into a telephone pole at a fairly good clip and cracked the body right up the middle. So then, they bought a Mustang II.

Doug

Last edited:
I remember having conversations with William (W.A. Reid) quite a few times on here. He's a funny guy but sometimes would make comments that would maybe rub some guys the wrong way (or he thought they did) and so, he would remove himself at various times.

I used to try to convince him to get into CD-4 but Sansui was mainly it for him.

Doug

Last edited:
@w.a.reid was/is a cool dude. He would sometimes message me about stuff. He was very intense at times but that's cool, so am I! :) I guess it's what old guys do best. If you're reading this W.A. as a lurker, come on back! This place is almost the same as before. You can turn off the ads, and remember, if someone ticks you off, even me, you can just use the ignore feature.

A Sansui fan myself now (have a QRX-8001); as it took most of my life to even get on board the Quad train. The main point for me here, is that it makes me sad to hear that members that are so knowledgeable with this stuff drop off the forum; mainly because most are super nice folks also and share their knowledge. But also that for a global forum, there really are only a couple hundred of us that bother to post up stuff 😞
Well as one of those guys who was quite active on this forum and then disappeared for a few years, but now is back, I guess never say never! I agree that folks on here whether 'first generation' like me and Jon and others or the new folks, I have had universally positive experiences. Never give up!

I did contact the seller and told him about the difficulty I had finding a shop to repair my QS-D1000. He said the serviceman's name was Dan and that he had a vintage audio repair place in a small town northeast of Dallas. (He & I live about the same distance from the town.) It sounds very much like the place I found in Ft. Worth - one of those TV/VCR/Audio repair shops that used to be on every corner but disappeared when it became cheaper to trash a non-working item than to repair it. The few shops that are left - usually only one or two techs - get so much business now they are backlogged. That's why it took 8 months to get my Sansui repaired. (I had plenty of other 'toys' to keep me entertained so I was in no hurry.)

I did contact the seller and told him about the difficulty I had finding a shop to repair my QS-D1000. He said the serviceman's name was Dan and that he had a vintage audio repair place in a small town northeast of Dallas. (He & I live about the same distance from the town.) It sounds very much like the place I found in Ft. Worth - one of those TV/VCR/Audio repair shops that used to be on every corner but disappeared when it became cheaper to trash a non-working item than to repair it. The few shops that are left - usually only one or two techs - get so much business now they are backlogged. That's why it took 8 months to get my Sansui repaired. (I had plenty of other 'toys' to keep me entertained so I was in no hurry.)
Back in 2001 I bought a QRX-7001 to have surround in the cabin my ex wife wanted us to have. Got it on Ebay. Looked great. Turned it on; sounded great. Tried the QS decoder: SCREEEEECH!!!!! Tried the SQ decoder: same. Seller said it worked when shipped so TS. I took it to a local shop I trusted. After a few days he said come and get it. I don't want to waste your time and money on something I am not confident working on. 19 years later, it sits in my basement. If I ever get my beach house, maybe I will use it as a four channel amp with an outboard decoder. Otherwise, its just another boat anchor. These are not units just anyone can work on!

Back in 2001 I bought a QRX-7001 to have surround in the cabin my ex wife wanted us to have. Got it on Ebay. Looked great. Turned it on; sounded great. Tried the QS decoder: SCREEEEECH!!!!! Tried the SQ decoder: same. Seller said it worked when shipped so TS. I took it to a local shop I trusted. After a few days he said come and get it. I don't want to waste your time and money on something I am not confident working on. 19 years later, it sits in my basement. If I ever get my beach house, maybe I will use it as a four channel amp with an outboard decoder. Otherwise, its just another boat anchor. These are not units just anyone can work on!
As a follow-up, I talked to Bob about him fixing it back in the day. He said the 7001s are not valuable enough to be worth it, and I should just get something else. So I located a Marantz 4070 amp with the full logic SQ module in it. It was great at the cabin, and since the ex got the cabin in the divorce, I now have it at home in my system where it still works great! Bob was right. I think the Marantz was about $175.

I'm sure qrxrestore in Oregon could fix up your old QRX-7001, but it would be god awful expensive and probably not worth it, the shipping alone may even cost ~$150 both ways!

I'm sure qrxrestore in Oregon could fix up your old QRX-7001, but it would be god awful expensive and probably not worth it, the shipping alone may even cost ~$150 both ways!
Do you have their address in Oregon out of curiosity? I am in Washington and might make a road trip out of it.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ui-repair-man-past-away-week-or-so-ago.24843/
I spoke to Jim several times, over several years time, and mostly we talked about our interests and views about what constitutes a nice sounding live music sound reinforcement system, and sometimes about live recording four discrete quad channels to 1/4” & 1/2” tape.
So, As an avid life-long Sansui lover myself, I always thought I might send him something substantial to restore, however the biggest dilemma for me was always how to finally decide which piece to send, I’ve got an obscene number of old classic Sansui gems.

Ok, so the point here is, I was going to send him my perfectly fine working, and cosmetically mint (but UN-restored) QSD-1, but from his response I got the feeling like he thought I might not be spending money wisely, then shortly after that conversation, this bad news hit.

As I understand it, the crew still doing this work at QRX-Restore are the very same folks (and family) as before, so I can not imagine it won’t come out very well, and luckily you live much closer than I do, I’m nearly as far east as one can get across the USA.
Go to the site and spend a good amount of time reading their extensive information accessible by “click-of-mouse”

Back