Larry Fast A Tab In The Ocean - Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
TIM: “Hello Larry, I’ve been meaning to check in with you and surround projects, and then we find ourselves living in the upside down for a while. The quad forum continues with brisk traffic.

One persistent question that came up that I thought we’d already addressed somewhere. My search of QQ revealed we have a couple dozen posts about it over 15+ years, but nothing definitive.

That question: Is the 1976 version of A Tab In The Ocean really an unmarked quad, presumably QS or possibly SQ in Europe? Please advise and I’ll let the party know. Regards, Tim“

LARRY: “Hi Tim. Yes, everything is very upside down and has been for these last months.

The Tab remix was done at House of Music which did not have quad mixing capabilities so I don’t see how it could be encoded at all. HOM’s stereo-only limitation is why I had to move the first Synergy album mix over to Mediasound in NYC which had one quad capable mix room back then.

Passport Records had a license deal with Sansui QS which co-op’d advertising money with Sansui if an album was mixed in QS so there would be no reason to keep a quad mix release secret. There was no fee to do the mix, Sansui provided the studio encoders for free and it would be leaving advertising and promotional grant money from Sansui on the table. Stay safe...“

Back