A Zappa Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although there is no surround or hi rez...they did it the right way...separate vinyl and CD sets...what really caught my eye is that Bob Ludwig did a 2018 remaster on at least one of the CDs in the set.....and of course since it's Zappa...you have some "quirky" elements...and the tin box resembling a manhole cover is a nice touch..it should be fun:p

Looks very nice, I hope they haven't boosted the crap out of it.

That's the risk and what makes me pause...one good thing is that Bob Ludwig did one of the CDs...so that's an indication that they care about the quality...I seldom buy recent CD purchases....unless I get a recommendation or I can see the DR numbers....if you like the music....this is a good CD

Well this is disappointing looking. I'm not buying 16 bit audio here in 2019. :(

I believe I read in the Zappa trust website there would be a digital download, and since the masters were transferred at 24-96 it should be included IMHO. The Halloween mask box had 24-44, not great. but better than redbook...

"In celebration of its eventual release in 1978, Zappa In New York will be released on March 29 via Zappa Records/UMe as a suite of expanded anniversary editions to commemorate the album’s recent 40th anniversary. Overseen by the Zappa Family Trust and produced by Ahmet Zappa and Vaultmeister Joe Travers, the expanded versions will be available as a 5CD box set, 3LP on 180-gram audiophile grade vinyl and digitally. The 5-disc collection, which will be housed in a limited-edition metal tin shaped like a NYC street manhole cover and includes a replica ticket from one of the shows, consists of the main album in its original mix, newly remastered by Bob Ludwig in 2018 and available for the first time since its debut. The four additional discs are loaded with relevant Vault nuggets and more than three hours of unreleased live performances from the NYC Palladium concerts, representing every composition played during the concerts and the best alternate performances of every tune Zappa picked for the original album, all newly mixed in 2018. To achieve the highest-level sound quality, the audio team went back to the original two-inch 24-track multi-track master tapes and transferred every reel at 96kHz 24-bit wavs."

https://www.zappa.com/news/frank-za...pa-new-york-celebrated-suite-40th-anniversary

On the site right now. Clicked the pre-order button. Not seeing it. Only the 16 bit or vinyl copies. :(

Here ya' go...

https://store.zappa.com/zappa-in-new-york-deluxe-cd-set-preorder.html

Zappa In New York – Deluxe consists of five CDs from the Vault celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the album’s release in 1978. Featured is the main album in its original mix, remastered by Bob Ludwig and available for the first time digitally. Also included is a disc of relevant Vault nuggets and over 3 hours of unreleased live performances from the NYC Palladium concerts, representing every composition played during the post-Christmas 4 show engagement of 1976 and newly mixed in 2018. Extensive Liner Notes by Ruth Underwood, Ray White & Joe Travers with Jen Jewel Brown. Limited edition metal tin mimicking a New York street manhole houses the 5CD collection. Digital editions in 96kHz 24-bit will also be made available.

Here ya' go...

Zappa In New York – Deluxe consists of five CDs from the Vault celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the album’s release in 1978. Featured is the main album in its original mix, remastered by Bob Ludwig and available for the first time digitally. Also included is a disc of relevant Vault nuggets and over 3 hours of unreleased live performances from the NYC Palladium concerts, representing every composition played during the post-Christmas 4 show engagement of 1976 and newly mixed in 2018. Extensive Liner Notes by Ruth Underwood, Ray White & Joe Travers with Jen Jewel Brown. Limited edition metal tin mimicking a New York street manhole houses the 5CD collection. Digital editions in 96kHz 24-bit will also be made available.

Nothing about when said digital edition will be available though.

Here ya' go...

$95.00 at the Zappa store!!! Currently $65.46 at Amazon US. Don't see it yet at Bullmoose, but I'm hoping.

$95.00 at the Zappa store!!! Currently $65.46 at Amazon US. Don't see it yet at Bullmoose, but I'm hoping.

Latest prices... still $95.00 at the Zappa store. Amazon went up $20.03 from $65.46 to $85.49. Bullmoose is $76.97 and ImportCD's is $71.14 U.S. Steel is ... oops! Got carried away. o_O

Ordered from Bullmoose.

Last edited:
I guess it makes sense that the 24/96 digital edition will go on sale day of and not have a pre-order.

Did anybody order this?
Can anyone confirm receiving a download link for the 24/96 HD files?
Any comments on the mastering presentation?

Back