ABC - The Lexicon Of Love (Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming in August 2023; SDE Blu-Ray #12)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
release date is August the 4th apparently..

https://universalmusiconline.es/products/abc-lexicon-of-love-4lp-blu-ray
4 LP + Blu-Ray edition of the album that welcomed the '80s. Includes rarities and live tracks never before released on vinyl, the original album mastered at half-speed at Abbey Road by Miles Showell, the restored ABC film Mantrap in HD for the first time on Blu-Ray and a new 5.1 Atmos surround mix of the album by Steven Wilson. Along with liner notes by Martin Fry and an essay by Daryl Easlea (Record Collector), this box set is a sumptuous celebration of one of Pop's most perfect albums. Double gatefold edition featuring outtakes from the cover photo shoot by Gered Mankowitz.
It's nice they included a restored HD version of Mantrap, directed by Julian Temple.

Attachments

• IMG_8132.jpeg
    IMG_8132.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8133.jpeg
    IMG_8133.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 0
What a great surprise! I expect it might disappear soon and then reappear when the box set comes out (similar to what happened with Rush's Signals).

I've only checked out the first two songs so far and am kind of surprised at how dry it is compared to the original stereo mix. The spatial effects and overall clarity are great, but it almost sounds kind of 'empty' at times. Lead vocals need a bit of a bump on my system as well.

What a great surprise! I expect it might disappear soon and then reappear when the box set comes out (similar to what happened with Rush's Signals).

I've only checked out the first two songs so far and am kind of surprised at how dry it is compared to the original stereo mix. The spatial effects and overall clarity are great, but it almost sounds kind of 'empty' at times. Lead vocals need a bit of a bump on my system as well.
Love this album. I’ve heard it 100’s of times and I think I have every note memorized lol. I had a quick listen to the Atmos mix tonight and it ranges from very good to amazing. I agree with the above comment that there seems to be a deliberate attempt to dry out the mix on tracks like Show Me that had a lot of 80’s lexicon digital reverb on the original mix. There also seems to be the odd little element that’s missing (not Steven’s fault I’m sure. Maybe these were added to the mix live by Trevor Horn and they’re not on the master tapes?). SW does his usual great surround mix on all tracks. The Look of Love sounds excellent. Date Stamp sounds great. 4Ever2gether should be amazing and it is. Surprisingly the little orchestral Lobe of Love Pt 4 might be the highlight with parts swirling around the room. I will definitely try to get my hands on the physical blu ray of this mix. Too good to just stream

SW does his usual great surround mix on all tracks.
Indeed, I agree that "Date Stamp" and "Look Of Love Pt. 4" are standouts. "Tears Are Not Enough" was also a highlight for me, having the horns in the rear heights is too cool.

So many interesting details pop up that I never noticed before - like there's a synth playing the same melody underneath the lead vocal in the center channel during "Show Me", bongos(?) in the front heights during "Valentine's Day" and "Show Me", percussion panning around the tops during "Tears Are Not Enough", etc.

There were also a few balance things that bugged me, like the horns in the rear at the beginning of "Look Of Love" seemed kind of buried?

Wow, cool to get an early preview of this! Great mix, but I also think it sounded quite dry too... As I'd got into the album I'd happily adjusted though... Funny by the time I'd played the album then potted off for a bit, about an hour later it seems to have been taken down? Anyone else still see it in Atmos?

You are correct. It is gone already. Added it an hour ago, sat down to listen just now and back to stereo.

And taken down. Probably similar to the Rush - Signals situation, hopefully to return when the box set is released.
I never saw it in Atmos here in the US. Looked at 9pm ET last night it was lossless, and again at 8am ET…still lossless only. I must have missed the small window it was actually out in Atmos. And the wait begins again...

I never saw it in Atmos here in the US. Looked at 9pm ET last night it was lossless, and again at 8am ET…still lossless only. I must have missed the small window it was actually out in Atmos. And the wait begins again...

They were in Atmos at 5:45am central time this morning. Then not at 7:15am.

I'm limited to 5.1, but it's up in the U.S. CST under 'Deluxe Edition'. 'Tears Are Not Enough' is the first track to jump out of the surrounds with the 'horns', though oddly, the 7" version is mixed much more conservatively. Giving it a scan, the album itself sounds quite good. The live tracks seem a little timid.

And yes, it includes the 'Poison Arrow (Jazz Remix)'. 👍

I'm limited to 5.1, but it's up in the U.S. CST under 'Deluxe Edition'. 'Tears Are Not Enough' is the first track to jump out of the surrounds with the 'horns', though oddly, the 7" version is mixed much more conservatively. Giving it a scan, the album itself sounds quite good. The live tracks seem a little timid.

And yes, it includes the 'Poison Arrow (Jazz Remix)'. 👍
Hi Frank. Can you provide a link to the deluxe version you mention?

Back