IMPORTANT About this Section

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I thought it might be a good idea to explain a little about what we ought to be doing in this section.
I'd really like to see as much detail as possible in these reviews - not just a single line saying "I gave it an eight" or whatever.
What would be nice, as well as helpful, would be to have am explanation of why it was given the mark it was - try to tell what content there is, what audio types are present - remember that there may well be someone reading this section to get an idea of what is available, what is good and what is to be avoided.
So, if possible, we should use this section as a chance to warn about, rave about and otherwise recommend (or not) each title listed here.

I would like to think also that we will get enough reviews and scores in to create a DVD-V chart in much the same way as we have with the HiRez section too.
Ten reviews or more gets the title "in the chart" as it were, and we need at least 20 titles with a total of 10 or more to make it worthwhile to do.

Finally - the one thing to bear in mind here is that it should be predominantly about the music content - Video content here is a minor issue IMHO. After all, it is the music that is supposed to matter - not the alleged spectacle of talentless bimbos and himbos gyrating on a stage whilst miming (badly, more often than not) to some trite piece of throwaway garbage.

Oh - finally - any requests for slots here? Just drop me a PM and it will be done. Looking for nothing and everything at the same time. Doesn't matter about genre, style, age, the most important thing is the music.

Many thanks for staying through this dreadfully dreary post.

Neil

Thanks Neil Your Postthay Have Been On The Money And Very Helpful! Thats Coming From And Old Audio Enginer When We Were Called That/trainman92

Finally - the one thing to bear in mind here is that it should be predominantly about the music content - Video content here is a minor issue IMHO. After all, it is the music that is supposed to matter - not the alleged spectacle of talentless bimbos and himbos gyrating on a stage whilst miming (badly, more often than not) to some trite piece of throwaway garbage. Neil

I kind of disagree with this. While the music and surround is the most important factor with a DVD-V, it is a DVD-V and therefore the video content and quality is important. It also depends on what you are reviewing. For instance, when reviewing a Shania Twain DVD-V it is best done with the volume off and then the video becomes the whole thing.;)

Yeah, I look at a DVD-V as a whole. Some I can't enjoy because the picture really sucks or the band is boring live, and it has a bearing on my opinion overall.

Can someone start a thread on this?
crossroads_2019_dvd_productshot_1_1.png
Click for larger image
ERIC CLAPTON
ERIC CLAPTON’S CROSSROADS GUITAR FESTIVAL 2019 2-DVD

$29.98

Pre-order - released on: 11/20/2020
Qty: 12345
PRE-ORDER NOW
DETAILS
Eric Clapton, one of the world’s pre-eminent blues/rock guitarists, once again summoned an all-star team of six-string heroes for his fifth Crossroads Guitar Festival in 2019. Held at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, the two-day concert event raised funds for the Crossroads Centre in Antigua, the chemical dependency treatment and education facility that Clapton founded in 1998.
Following a six-year hiatus, the festival returned reenergized with outstanding performances by Clapton, James Bay, Jeff Beck, Doyle Bramhall II, Gary Clark Jr., Robert Cray, Sheryl Crow, Andy Fairweather Low, Peter Frampton, Vince Gill, Buddy Guy, Sonny Landreth, Lianne La Havas, Los Lobos, John Mayer, Keb’ Mo’, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Randolph, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Jimmie Vaughan and more.
Throughout the show, Clapton shared the stage with others to perform some of his best-known songs, including “Layla” with John Mayer, plus acoustic versions of “Wonderful Tonight” and “Lay Down Sally” with Andy Fairweather Low. Clapton also paid tribute to his late friend George Harrison with a searing rendition of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” with Peter Frampton.
The Crossroads’ lineup offered an impressive mix of performers, with legends like Bonnie Raitt, James Burton, Robert Cray, and Jeff Beck (whose outstanding cover of The Beach Boys’ “Caroline, No” was a festival high point); contemporary stars Gary Clark Jr., Robert Randolph and Sheryl Crow; as well as rising talents The Marcus King Band, Tom Misch, and Lianne La Havas.
Naturally, the on-stage collaborations provided some of the most compelling moments. Highlights include a cover of The Stooges’ “I Wanna Be Your Dog” by Doyle Bramhall II, Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks, Jim Keltner and actor Bill Murray (the festival’s M.C.); Buddy Guy and Johnny Lang ripping through Guy’s classic “Cognac”; and a version of the Merle Haggard hit “Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down” by Vince Gill, Albert Lee, Bradley Walker, and dobro master Jerry Douglas. For the encore, Clapton returned to the stage to lead ensemble performances of Prince’s “Purple Rain” and Joe Cocker’s “High Time We Went.”
The first Crossroads Benefit Concert took place in 1999 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The Crossroads Guitar Festival made its debut in 2004 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. That sold-out show was chronicled in a two-disc DVD that has since gone on to become one of the world’s top-selling music DVDs, achieving the 10x platinum mark in the United States alone. The subsequent DVD sets met similar acclaim. The 2007 collection was certified 6x platinum; the 2010 set was certified 3x platinum; and the 2013 set was certified platinum. Since 2004, The Crossroads Guitar Festival has been held every three years except in 2016.
The festival was also the launch pad for the global ‘Turn Up For Recovery’ movement, which is helping bring awareness of abstinence based recovery and raise funds to provide treatment at Crossroads for those in need.
TRACK LISTING

© COPYRIGHT 2020 RHINO ENTERTAINMENT
CONTACT US | PRIVACY POLICY | TERMS OF USE

Can someone start a thread on this?
crossroads_2019_dvd_productshot_1_1.png
Click for larger image
ERIC CLAPTON
ERIC CLAPTON’S CROSSROADS GUITAR FESTIVAL 2019 2-DVD

$29.98

Pre-order - released on: 11/20/2020
Qty: 12345
PRE-ORDER NOW
DETAILS
Eric Clapton, one of the world’s pre-eminent blues/rock guitarists, once again summoned an all-star team of six-string heroes for his fifth Crossroads Guitar Festival in 2019. Held at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, the two-day concert event raised funds for the Crossroads Centre in Antigua, the chemical dependency treatment and education facility that Clapton founded in 1998.
Following a six-year hiatus, the festival returned reenergized with outstanding performances by Clapton, James Bay, Jeff Beck, Doyle Bramhall II, Gary Clark Jr., Robert Cray, Sheryl Crow, Andy Fairweather Low, Peter Frampton, Vince Gill, Buddy Guy, Sonny Landreth, Lianne La Havas, Los Lobos, John Mayer, Keb’ Mo’, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Randolph, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Jimmie Vaughan and more.
Throughout the show, Clapton shared the stage with others to perform some of his best-known songs, including “Layla” with John Mayer, plus acoustic versions of “Wonderful Tonight” and “Lay Down Sally” with Andy Fairweather Low. Clapton also paid tribute to his late friend George Harrison with a searing rendition of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” with Peter Frampton.
The Crossroads’ lineup offered an impressive mix of performers, with legends like Bonnie Raitt, James Burton, Robert Cray, and Jeff Beck (whose outstanding cover of The Beach Boys’ “Caroline, No” was a festival high point); contemporary stars Gary Clark Jr., Robert Randolph and Sheryl Crow; as well as rising talents The Marcus King Band, Tom Misch, and Lianne La Havas.
Naturally, the on-stage collaborations provided some of the most compelling moments. Highlights include a cover of The Stooges’ “I Wanna Be Your Dog” by Doyle Bramhall II, Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks, Jim Keltner and actor Bill Murray (the festival’s M.C.); Buddy Guy and Johnny Lang ripping through Guy’s classic “Cognac”; and a version of the Merle Haggard hit “Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down” by Vince Gill, Albert Lee, Bradley Walker, and dobro master Jerry Douglas. For the encore, Clapton returned to the stage to lead ensemble performances of Prince’s “Purple Rain” and Joe Cocker’s “High Time We Went.”
The first Crossroads Benefit Concert took place in 1999 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The Crossroads Guitar Festival made its debut in 2004 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. That sold-out show was chronicled in a two-disc DVD that has since gone on to become one of the world’s top-selling music DVDs, achieving the 10x platinum mark in the United States alone. The subsequent DVD sets met similar acclaim. The 2007 collection was certified 6x platinum; the 2010 set was certified 3x platinum; and the 2013 set was certified platinum. Since 2004, The Crossroads Guitar Festival has been held every three years except in 2016.
The festival was also the launch pad for the global ‘Turn Up For Recovery’ movement, which is helping bring awareness of abstinence based recovery and raise funds to provide treatment at Crossroads for those in need.
TRACK LISTING

© COPYRIGHT 2020 RHINO ENTERTAINMENT
CONTACT US | PRIVACY POLICY | TERMS OF USE
Have collected and enjoyed all prior Crossroads sets, but Clapton needs to find some new blues artists to feature. Tired of seeing Bramhall, Vaughan, Randolph, Tedeschi, Guy, Cray, etc. so many times already. And if I see John Mayer yet again featured by Clapton I’m not sure what I’ll do!

Have collected and enjoyed all prior Crossroads sets, but Clapton needs to find some new blues artists to feature. Tired of seeing Bramhall, Vaughan, Randolph, Tedeschi, Guy, Cray, etc. so many times already. And if I see John Mayer yet again featured by Clapton I’m not sure what I’ll do!
You'll buy the next one-LOL (It's charity don't forget,)

Haven't really been excited by a new blues guy since SRV.
I get that, I'm really not up on the more recent Blues artists like I should be... :unsure:

Many thanks for staying through this dreadfully dreary post.
Neil
And Neil what's really dreadful, is you haven't been around here much (I'm sure @fredblue would like to say a hearty howdy.)

I was just playing this DVD recently and noticed you mixed it, sounded great BTW...

https://www.discogs.com/Stick-Men-Deep/release/5199472

I started reading Neil's post #1 and was a bit confused and then read the remaining posts, hmm, went back and noticed, Aug 1 2005, OK now it makes sense. I think Neil was expressing his thoughts on QQ overall, I assume the QQ membership and surround discs where certainly not as abundant as they are now? I could not tell if he was talking about DVD-V only or all discs in general, but I interpreted it as all surround discs in general including DVD-V?

I really liked the context of his post, saying that when we do review a disc that some effort is put into it so that others may benefit. Many here at QQ do just that and it is really good for me when I read.

When I write a review for a disc I really do give it my best shot, knowing that others may have a different opinion for different reasons.
I appreciate others with opposing opinions as this is better for the reader to ultimately make there own choice.
My only conclusion to this is that we be respectful to each reviewer, I have had experience more than once getting called out as "your review is shitty" not said that directly but basically the sentiment.

Neil says, try to make your review longer than one liners, a good idea but if your just starting out, the reviewer's skill level may not be what others are, so there is a risk involved. I know my skill level is way less than some others.

I have an observation that I have noticed over the last 6 years, that negativity on forum subjects (some posters just want to dispute everything) shows that the person is a better audiophile, almost like a badge of honor? Could also be the negativity is correct and accurate?

Maybe I am just expressing my own insecurity about what I am talking about, I don't know.

I do always try to write as if a newcomer is watching, I was a newcomer once lurking on the sidelines trying to understand this huge audio hobby. I think I come from the place, you get more with sugar than salt.

Back