Adam Schlesinger dies of COVID-19

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sad news. In addition to Fountains of Wayne, he had a great short-lived band called Tinted Windows that included James Iha (of Smashing Pumpkins), Bun E. Carlos (Cheap Trick) and Taylor Hanson (Hanson.)

And then of course, he also wrote one of the catchiest songs ever, the title song to the film That Thing You Do.

Smart, sometimes smart-alecky, pop rock. I didn't realize until I read the Wikipedia page that Schlesinger had also produced songs for They Might Be Giant albums (which makes sense) and--along with the likes of Andy Partridge--written some of the tunes on The Monkees' Good Times (a really great album), which he also produced.

Fifty-effing-two.

For those of us who got past the novelty of “Stacy’s Mom”, Fountains of Wayne were the answer to the cravings we had for late ‘70s pop rock. Relentless, hooky, catchy rock that radio was usually too f’n “cool” to play.

I realize there may be a number of you that have never heard of Adam or Fountains of Wayne, but there’s a whole subculture of not-quite-mainstream artists who keep the catchy pop rock of the ‘70s and ‘80s alive and Fountains of Wayne were among the best of them.

This virus just cannot be taken lightly. Very sad and very bad. Just more incentive to stay the hell home.

You ain't joking, Jon. Norwalk Connecticut's Hospital NOW has a refrigerated 'temporary'morgue sitting in their rear parking lot and just on the news tonight, a 6 week old baby just succumbed to Covid~19, as well in Connecticut....which drives home the grim reality that age is no longer a factor!

Last edited:
Fountains Of Wayne is one of my favorite bands of this century. Favorably comparable to XTC, and dare I say The Beatles. Check them out if you can.
The sadness hits really hard to realize there will be no new music from this talented artist.
I'm afraid there will be so many more talented artists, doctors, nurses, scientists, front-line providers who will be lost forever to this virus. 😪

Very sad that anyone should die of this horrific disease. This fellow was way too young. I only knew a few songs but thought they were excellent.

The Spanish flu which lasted from January 1918 to December of 1920 infected 500M worldwide, at the time roughly one quarter of the world's population. 50M lost their lives including 675,000 Americans of which my grandmother, pregnant with her fourth child, lost her battle in 1919.

Last edited:
SO SAD. Not to mention his lush female-fronted side band Ivy and collaboration with the songs on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I personally prefer the older tunes like Radiation Vibe and especially Leave the Biker.

Here's a similar sounding band that actually shared some members with FOW and TMBG that many have not heard of. Lincoln actually had one major label release and that was it, but it is very memorable. Here's a playlist of it for those who like Adam/FOW style to check out.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP-LgxRc_GDzSnKmNMnP2q9KJ99FMti0j

Back