HiRez Poll Adams, Bryan - RECKLESS [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Bryan Adams - RECKLESS [BluRay Audio]

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
Gave it an 8- I really like this one. It's maybe a bit front-heavy, but most certainly a discrete mix. The rears contain isolated synth/keyboard and some (appropriately) very 80s delays/echo. But this isn't dedicated concert hall ambiance like you get on a classical disc: it's a real directional surround effect. You can feel the delays on the guitars and drums pass through you from front to rear or vice versa. It's really effective and sounds absolutely huge.

"One Night Love Affair" (you can "see" the keys enter in the left rear at around the 10 second mark):
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.06.31 AM.png

Some other notes:
- I assume the 88.2/24 sample rate implies this was originally destined for SACD release?
- The guitar solos in the center channel of "Kids Wanna Rock" are way too loud
- Lead vocals aren't just in the center, they're at equal power across all three fronts making them very prevalent

Would love to see more shelved Clearmountain 5.1 mixes surface sooner rather than later...

Last edited:
Really well done, this one. The lead vocals sound super direct in my phantom center (4.1 setup here), different guitars parts are nicely spread out between the front and rears, lots of nice elements mixed in the rears only. Plus, great bass sound and solid drums too. I voted 9.

Greetings, Janco

This is one of those mixes where I ask myself what more they could've done with it given the style and nature of the music. The answer is, "Not much."

This is one of my favorite surround mixes, but not because it immerses you like a Porcupine Tree or Pink Floyd mix. It's simple surround sound with the instruments mostly separated but still well balanced. I listened to this record a zillion times on vinyl when I was a kid and am very familiar with it. Other than the slap delay that immediately greets you on One Night Love Affair, there is nothing particularly jarring about this mix. It's just solid and straightforward, which is exactly as it should be.

That's why it's a tough one to rate. In my opinion, this mix is near perfect given the source material. By comparison, I've been listening to Dissolution by The Pineapple Thief, and while that mix is better for the surround experience, it could be so much better given the material. As such, Dissolution is a lesser mix to me than Reckless, even though the surround experience is superior. I hope that makes sense.

Fidelity here is top notch. Really great to hear these tracks in all their hi-def glory, and again this gives you an appreciation for how well executed so many of these older albums were. Keith Scott is really a highly underrated guitarist.

I'm giving this a 9. I was on the fence about giving it a 10 because I really don't think you could do much better with this as a surround mix. It fits the music perfectly.

Reactions: GOS
Back