HiRez Poll Adams, Ryan - ROCK N ROLL [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Adams, Ryan - ROCK N ROLL

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez surround title. (y) :phones (n)

Ryan Adams RandR Front 2.jpgRyan Adams RandR Back 2.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up the DVD-A at Amoeba and cranked it in the car on the way home. There are a number of good songs and some pretty good discrete surround. I give it an 8.

I love love love Gold.. even to this day.. but this one hasn't aged as well for me.

I gave it a "8" when I finally tracked the DVDA down a few years ago but now I'd probably only give it a 7, maybe a 6, sadly.

his is a KICK ASS surround sound release! Great music, great songs, very well placed sound in the field. Crisp highs, clean acoustic and crunchy electric guitars in all the right places. Little vocal bits and hand claps jump out in the rears when you don't expect them to. It surprises me that more people haven't responded on this one. It has to be in my top ten as far as surround dvd-a's. Burning Photographs really bursts out of all speakers. Excellent production, right there with Brothers In Arms, Rumours, The Floyd and Porcupine Tree. I realize it's apples and oranges, but seriously, this is a beast. It's a 9.9!

Wow! If you need some "in your face" straight-forward raw rock with a pop sensibility, get this... the songs are really good throughout, infused with angst, energy, heart-felt lyrics, and crunchy guitars. The songs are short, well crafted pieces of pop perfection with a punk(?) edge. The surround mix is perfect for the music; very discrete and a good example of how simple rock arrangements can be mixed successfully in surround. The fidelity is excellent; it doesn't sound compressed or clipped, and I can't stress enough how good the guitar sound is. Another great discovery for me (I'd never heard of Ryan before!:mad:@:)...9.

Wow! If you need some "in your face" straight-forward raw rock with a pop sensibility, get this... the songs are really good throughout, infused with angst, energy, heart-felt lyrics, and crunchy guitars. The songs are short, well crafted pieces of pop perfection with a punk(?) edge. The surround mix is perfect for the music; very discrete and a good example of how simple rock arrangements can be mixed successfully in surround. The fidelity is excellent; it doesn't sound compressed or clipped, and I can't stress enough how good the guitar sound is. Another great discovery for me (I'd never heard of Ryan before!:mad:@:)...9.

I'm yet to see his SACDs at a price I can tolerate!

I thought he was country... :mad:@:

I just gave a listen to the 5.1 mix of this on SACD ( technically, 5.2 since I have two subs:cool:). I think I've gained a new appreciation for the album through the surround mix. There are little percussion touches that pull you in on the first track and then some nice keyboards and more cymbals in the rear surrounds. Many of the tracks take an audience listening position of a soundscape, where the rear speakers are just filled with reverb, which creates a bit of depth to the sound stage. There are other bits on some of the songs where unique tracks are in the rear surrounds, but it's more of a front-centric mix with occasional surprises in the back surround channels. I do find the tonality of the 5.1 mix is definitely a more involving listening experience than the stereo mix, maybe less compressed and more expansive?

As far as content goes, a lot of this album feels like a genre exercise, where songs seem to reference 70s and 80s bands, like AC/DC, the Smiths, as well as contemporary references (for the original album release), like the Strokes. Overall though, I do think the album has enough originality to be an enjoyable listen.

I would recommend the 5.1 mix for fun for late night weekend listening :smokin. I've voted an 8. (y)

Last edited:
Back