Adding Digital Surround to Analog Quad System

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Doug G.

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hi everybody,

Well, after many years, I am considering adding digital surround to my old system, mainly because, as part of the SPLHCB super deluxe set I received from my kids, it has a 5.1 mix on disc in it and I guess I would like to hear it.

I have an old Panasonic DVD player with Toslink output and I see there are converters to change to RCA outputs. Is that the way you guys would go or would getting a separate player, if I ever wanted to use other formats, be more cost effective?

My old Heathkit amplifiers are strictly RCA analog inputs.

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

ProgRules

800 Club - QQ All-Star
I'd suggest buying a used bluray player that has analog outputs. Not only would you add bluray capability- there's a lot of great multichannel music that's only available on blu, but you also get the full hi-rez multi-channel signal, as opposed to the lossy signal you get from toslink (due to limited bandwidth), plus you don't have to deal with the inevitable problems of a component converting a digital signal to analog, that likely employs low quality DACs (digital-analog converters).

Used blu-ray players are a dime a dozen, though it takes a bit of searching to find ones with analog outputs. But they can be found- a quick google search netted me this: less than $60 shipped (though no remote)

I'm sure there's other deals with even more value