Addition to Surround Master V4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joefahy

I would like a variable, <50msec, time delay available on the rear speakers built into the next SM version. I effected this with my current V3 using a MiniDSP 2x4HD. The sonic effect is to increase the ratio of direct to "reflected" sound. I am using 20ms of delay. This delay would also help mitigate the rear speaker sound from arriving first, Haas, before the front three speakers, especially when room placement has the rears closer than the fronts to the main LP. For arbitrary room layouts perhaps a right and left delay might be desirable. Anyone else try this? I was unable to find out if the SM has any built in delay for the rear speaker channels. I'll be playing with this.
Best Regards,
Joe

I would like a variable, <50msec, time delay available on the rear speakers built into the next SM version. I effected this with my current V3 using a MiniDSP 2x4HD. The sonic effect is to increase the ratio of direct to "reflected" sound. I am using 20ms of delay. This delay would also help mitigate the rear speaker sound from arriving first, Haas, before the front three speakers, especially when room placement has the rears closer than the fronts to the main LP. For arbitrary room layouts perhaps a right and left delay might be desirable. Anyone else try this? I was unable to find out if the SM has any built in delay for the rear speaker channels. I'll be playing with this.
Best Regards,
Joe
None of the 3 versions of the Surround Master has rear ch delay.

Utilizing the Hass effect for home audio became popular in the earliest days of Dolby surround decoders where there was no separation enhancement. In movie audio production the dialogue & front soundstage is all important. With inherently poor separation Dolby added the delay to make sure the rear chs did not interfere with the front.

With good equipment like the SM and a good speaker set up where all speakers are equidistant from the listening sweet spot, using the delay for the Hass effect brings no benefit. If rear ch speakers are closer to your ears than the front, then an accurately calculated amount of delay to correct for arrival times might be beneficial. But it will not be the same or probably as good as having a well laid out speaker arrangement because the rears will not have the same mix into acoustic space as the fronts.

And welcome aboard Joe! Pleased to meet you!

Back