Adjusting rear or surround speakers louder than the fronts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried that but it's a PITA. And it affects everything. And it can't be done on the fly. Do the new 3800/4800 Denon's and the new Cinema 50/40 from Marantz allow for this type of adjustment? I tried to find out but so far no luck.
I have a AVC 3800 and it allows for on the fly level adjustments in the option menu.

Do the new Yamaha Aventage receivers allow the on the fly adjustments?
Yes, you can adjust that way. I have Yamaha rx-A2010. Everything is done with the remote (w/o the remote, you can't get into the menus/ submenus ). There are some adjustments, etc. behind the front fold down panel though just not as intricate.
To do so I must push' On Screen' button on remote, scroll to open 'setup', go to 'manual setup'. Then scroll down to 'level' & open that. This is an on screen display showing the speaker arrangements/configuration & db ± volume levels for each speaker. You pick which speaker you want to adjust & raise/lower its volume. This can do done while you are listening to music or w/o music playing.
This may sound difficult but you can do it in under 30 seconds once you familiarize yourself with this! It is quite easy....
I hope this helps....

Last edited:
Yes, you can adjust that way. I have Yamaha rx-A2010.
To do so I must open 'setup', go to 'manual' settings. Then scroll down to 'level' & open that. This is an on screen display showing the speaker arrangements & db volume levels for each. You pick which speaker you want to adjust & raise/lower its volume.
This may sound difficult but you can do it in under 30 seconds once you familiarize yourself with this!
Are there "scene" buttons and do the scene buttons remember different channel volumes.

Thanks for that. I was looking through the online owner's manual. It looks like you have to go into the Heos section to do that, is that right?
I just hit the option menu on the remote and there I choose channel level adjust and do the trims I want. These changes are remembered for that input. I do not use HEOS.

Yes, you can adjust that way. I have Yamaha rx-A2010.
To do so I must open 'setup', go to 'manual' settings. Then scroll down to 'level' & open that. This is an on screen display showing the speaker arrangements & db volume levels for each. You pick which speaker you want to adjust & raise/lower its volume.
This may sound difficult but you can do it in under 30 seconds once you familiarize yourself with this!
Thanks. Is this "on the fly", as in can you do this while music is playing so you can immediately hear the adjustments?

Hi,
I have an NAD and the remote for the last ( years is similar for all receivers and processors sbd there are three volume adjusters on the bottom of the remote for sub, center, and surrounds. Each can be increased or decreased by -6 to +6 DB.

With Dirac the system is calibrated well. Being an SACD person my rear speakers are full range front speakers placed st the rear.

The NAD ATMOS processors 777v3 and 778 mix 5.1 SACD TO 7.1 in native mode (obviously not native) and do do perfectly balanced.

My experience is so I rereleased 5.1 SACDs where the original was just stereo don’t use ghe rears much as not to move too much away from the front. A good example of this is CCRs greatest hits. However the hotel California SACD in my opinion has one if not the best 5.1 all channels driven mixes from the 70s. Rumours is also very good leveraging the rears. But the ATMOS mix is amazing!!!

I listen to a lot of Dolby ATMOS music primarily from Apple TV. Certain producers place a greater influence on the rears, and it’s getting better and better.

I think it’s really important uk have a full range speaker at all 7 positions and ATMOS, and DIRAC or ARC. The other room correction systems just don’t cut it.

Avalon SACD could have been so much more if they used the rears more. But it gets really exciting when I turn on the Dolby surround upmixer and sound is up upmixed into the height speakers.

Oh and Emotiva new receiver has a height volume increase.

B0FCD9FC-0E3A-45AE-A19D-0C737BAFE395.jpeg

How are you guys adjusting the balance on a modern receiver? I have a Marantz NR1403 and if I go into options, audio, all I can adjust is center channel and subwoofer. I'd love to be able to raise or lower the surrounds on the fly.
I just put L-pads on the speaker outputs. Instant adjust!

I know what you mean. When I first got my Marantz, that's how I adjusted levels which was definitely a pain and way less convenient than my previous Yamaha. I only discovered the Option button had the Channel Level Adjust function after a while of just pressing buttons and seeing what they did. Not the sort of thing they tend to advertise for some reason even though it's a major bonus. I guess they think everyone just knows it already or doesn't care enough. Be handy if manufacturers did a big schematic layout of menu structure so you could browse around a 1-page PDF to see where everything was.

I don't know if the new models can do it on the fly or not.

Attachments

• 06004E7F-90DE-4327-B625-7E54190612F6.jpeg
    06004E7F-90DE-4327-B625-7E54190612F6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Handy. Does it have presets or at least a reset.
My NAD resets to back to the config when I power it off. I can change the config. Emotiva can change the config, I’m not sure what happens to the real-time adjustments on the Emotiva, it was just released last week.

Inspired by @Sonik Wiz, I recently picked up an Anthem AVM50. You can adjust volume (trim) on all channels on the fly, with the front panel buttons and main volume dial, or the remote. It's a really nice pre/pro.
Good to see your post & I'm esp happy that the Anthem 50 is working out for you! Now, how's that Involve Amp Master doing??

Before acquiring my Anthem AVM 30 I had an Onkyo pre/pro on trial at my house. The sound quality was excellent, very neutral & detailed. But this was at the transition of nobody has remote control to everyone has remote control. In fact they didn't even make their own remote, it shipped with a Phillips Pronto remote. Remember those?:

1675275866650.png

The touch screen was not reliable & if you wanted to do nothing more than adjust the level of the rears, the only way to do that is drilling thru the layers of the set up menu, first for left back & then right back. Speaking of back, it went back after a few days to the audio store who was most understanding.

The anthem is cool because not only can you adjust levels on the fly it's very easy to return to pre-set calibrated levels. Come to think about it, even the vintage quad gear with ther F/B, L/R controls were effective & easy to use. Better than some of the newest stuff.

After I set everything using audyssey I have to change the xover and turn down some the rears.

After I set everything using audyssey I have to change the xover and turn down some the rears.
How difficult is that, and do you tweak a given album if it doesn't sound up to par, or is it too cumbersome to bother?

How difficult is that, and do you tweak a given album if it doesn't sound up to par, or is it too cumbersome to bother?
I get into the menu, advanced xover setting and adjust for speakers. They set my fronts at 40 but 60 is much better. on my remote I can adjust each speaker up or down.

Back