Adobe Audition CS2 "Free" version

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Does anybody have the version of Audition 3 that was given away several years ago by Adobe?
I have the installer somewhere but not sure where, and it is now impossible to reinstall from the bought discs because Adobe have killed the activation server.
The only possibility is that the free one with the generic serial number will still activate.
If anyone has this installer - not a hacked one - I would be extremely grateful.

Technically CS2 was not free, the serial numbers were released to allow licensed owners to reinstall once Adobe took their credential servers offline.
The software and serial numbers were heavily pillaged though.

Technically CS2 was not free, the serial numbers were released to allow licensed owners to reinstall once Adobe took their credential servers offline.
The software and serial numbers were heavily pillaged though.
Oh! I'll take that as "I'd better not post the info here" then.

I really should learn Audacity...but every time I've tried, I've found it just different enough from AA to quickly frustrate me. That's not in any way a knock on Audacity, but rather an admission that I'm an old dog uncomfortable with new tricks.

Oh! I'll take that as "I'd better not post the info here" then.

I really should learn Audacity...but every time I've tried, I've found it just different enough from AA to quickly frustrate me. That's not in any way a knock on Audacity, but rather an admission that I'm an old dog uncomfortable with new tricks.
From my limited experience using both so far; Audacity processes commands much quicker than AA3, but AA3 seems like a more professionally tailored program.

From my limited experience using both so far; Audacity processes commands much quicker than AA3, but AA3 seems like a more professionally tailored program.

It's been so long since I've fooled with that I can't even remember what my complaint was with Audacity, but I think it had something to do with non-intuitive highlighting. I just remember trying to do something with it that I'd done a million times in AA but it just wasn't behaving the same and I lost patience.

It's been so long since I've fooled with that I can't even remember what my complaint was with Audacity, but I think it had something to do with non-intuitive highlighting. I just remember trying to do something with it that I'd done a million times in AA but it just wasn't behaving the same and I lost patience.
I believe the folks behind that software continue to make improvements, and since it's freeware, maybe consider giving it another shot.
I'm still just learning the basics on these and audio terminology as well. Seems like a steep hill to climb, but I'm giving it my best shot, with lots of help from fine members here at the QQ :)

Last edited:

Since AA 3 is officially obsolete & outdated I would say Audacity is the one to be updated & current. Having said that I much prefer using AA 3. Audacity is a volunteer group of developers while the AA was created & over seen by true professionals. I dislike the oddity of exporting instead of just saving and the weird (at least to me) way of choosing ch assignments in Audacity. I also notice that when capturing even 2 ch audio Audacity waveform window does not keep up in real time, it plays catch up. Anyone else notice this?

Adobe has the most useful center ch extractor & the poorly named Surround Encoder makes it easy to create the individual files for dts etc encoding or a 5.1 LPCM surround file.

It is always good to have an alternative editor cuz sometimes things work well on one but not the other. Good 'ol AA3 is my 1st choice go to editor.

Since AA 3 is officially obsolete & outdated I would say Audacity is the one to be updated & current. Having said that I much prefer using AA 3. Audacity is a volunteer group of developers while the AA was created & over seen by true professionals. I dislike the oddity of exporting instead of just saving and the weird (at least to me) way of choosing ch assignments in Audacity. I also notice that when capturing even 2 ch audio Audacity waveform window does not keep up in real time, it plays catch up. Anyone else notice this?

Adobe has the most useful center ch extractor & the poorly named Surround Encoder makes it easy to create the individual files for dts etc encoding or a 5.1 LPCM surround file.

It is always good to have an alternative editor cuz sometimes things work well on one but not the other. Good 'ol AA3 is my 1st choice go to editor.
I've only figured out how to record from AA3 using USB from my MOTU, but it does the same thing, takes a few seconds to catch up in Quad recordings. I haven't been able to figure out how to use Audacity to record in Quad to my Windows computer (It's funky with Windows WASAPI drivers that don't seem to work for me!)

Last edited:
1137-1004-8571-6848-7845-8029

The above is the serial # Adobe offered, thanks to Wayback Machine, for the Adobe Audition 3.0 download.

Here is a link to the original program file. I offer this only because it was given freely before. If it is a problem, them mods are welcome to remove it.

I hope it is what is looked for.

1137-1004-8571-6848-7845-8029

The above is the serial # Adobe offered, thanks to Wayback Machine, for the Adobe Audition 3.0 download.

Here is a link to the original program file. I offer this only because it was given freely before. If it is a problem, them mods are welcome to remove it.

I hope it is what is looked for.
That is good of you to post that! I am doing fine with AA 3 but others may need it. Does this include the Adobe patch that does.... something? I don't remeber what maybe phase shift.

Also to open and edit FLAC files in AA use this FLAC plug in.

To open & edit AC-3/dts use this plug in.

For those that might be concerned these are unofficial plug ins, I can say they are the same ones I've used for years, virus & bug free, they just simply work.

That is good of you to post that! I am doing fine with AA 3 but others may need it. Does this include the Adobe patch that does.... something? I don't remeber what maybe phase shift.

For those that might be concerned these are unofficial plug ins, I can say they are the same ones I've used for years, virus & bug free, they just simply work.

Thanks so much too!!!!

the FLAC plug in page is there but the AC-3/DTS is down...

As SonicWiz says when using Audacity for recording to save you have to use Export (it's not called save), but it doesn't default to the bit rate your using, it goes to 16 bit first. Several times I didn't catch it and lost my 32 bit float or 24 bit file! I would use Audition but it wouldn't work with my Digigram Sound Card at 192Khz. I still export my files to Audition for further processing. As I recall the SQ and QS encode script would not work without the patch, so it must have something to do with phase.

Back