Adobe Audition CS2 "Free" version

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a problem posting this info - good info to have.

Of course, if men in suits show up at my door, well........................... :)

This "free" DL has actually saved me before. I purchased Cool Edit a hundred years ago. I jumped at the chance to upgrade to Cool Edit Pro as it allowed for multi-track (more than 2) editing. When Adobe bought Cool Edit & it became Audition, I purchased that as well. And the other upgrades along the way. All the upgrades went smooth as long as I had the previous version on my PC. After a major rebuild & major headaches installing AA 3 I realized I would have to go all the way back to the original Cool Edit & do subsequent upgrades. WHAAA??! Where did I put those floppies! Wait a minute I don't even have a floppy reader anymore!!

So AA 3 projects were put on hold for quite a frustrating long time. Thanks to (Ta-Dah!) QQ there was a topic about how to get a free official Adobe down load. I've been using it ever since.

This "free" DL has actually saved me before. I purchased Cool Edit a hundred years ago. I jumped at the chance to upgrade to Cool Edit Pro as it allowed for multi-track (more than 2) editing. When Adobe bought Cool Edit & it became Audition, I purchased that as well. And the other upgrades along the way. All the upgrades went smooth as long as I had the previous version on my PC. After a major rebuild & major headaches installing AA 3 I realized I would have to go all the way back to the original Cool Edit & do subsequent upgrades. WHAAA??! Where did I put those floppies! Wait a minute I don't even have a floppy reader anymore!!

So AA 3 projects were put on hold for quite a frustrating long time. Thanks to (Ta-Dah!) QQ there was a topic about how to get a free official Adobe down load. I've been using it ever since.

A lot of us had Cool Edit Pro, then upgraded to AA through the versions. I think I upgraded right up to the part where they bailed. As I recall, the last version I bought (I think it was version 4) did not run the scripts. It's been a long time, so I don't totally remember. I know I haven't had it on my PC's in years.

As SonicWiz says when using Audacity for recording to save you have to use Export (it's not called save)...

I expect that's because it's not the native format it uses when it records. Naturally the project can be saved, and it makes sense for it to be exported to become a non native file.

A lot of us had Cool Edit Pro, then upgraded to AA through the versions. I think I upgraded right up to the part where they bailed. As I recall, the last version I bought (I think it was version 4) did not run the scripts. It's been a long time, so I don't totally remember. I know I haven't had it on my PC's in years.

I am always interested in something better.... may I ask what your preferred multi-ch editing app is & why?
Thanks!

I am always interested in something better.... may I ask what your preferred multi-ch editing app is & why?
Thanks!

Well, I generally use Sound Forge, as I've been using Sound Forge since Version 4.5, when it was created by a company called 'Sonic Foundry'. It eventually was bought by the monster SONY, which had it through version after version, until it was then sold to MAGIX, who now have it up to version 13.

Along the way I purchased Cool Edit Pro because it did a few things that SF did not, and then when the scripts came along (kempfand I think had the first) I did all of the Adobe Upgrades until they did away with it. I also dabbled in Wavelab and a few others. Now I shall try Reaper!

But, in the end, when I am messing with 5.1 files, I always default to Sound Forge, because I am VERY comfortable with it. It might not be the best for you or anyone else, but to me it's like an old comfortable shoe. I just wish there were more VST plugins (from every company) that actually work on 5.1 files.

INTERESTING NOTE: I emailed Penteo to see if their Penteo 16 Pro VST3 plugin would work with SF 13. Here is their response:

Hi there Jon and thank you for your interest in Penteo 16 Pro!

Our list of current supported DAWs is on our website under technical requirements: www.pefectsurround.com

Sadly, Sound Forge 13 only supports 6 channels, since we upmix to 9.1.6 / 3rd Order Ambisonics, we require DAWs that support 16 channels. All the DAWs are all moving up to 16 channels, just some slower than others. As soon as they do, we will support!

I would suggest Reaper as an alternative, and you can always get a free trial from our site so you can test Penteo out first.

Warmest regards, Sophia

ADL Penteo Customer Support

Last edited:
Does anybody have the version of Audition 3 that was given away several years ago by Adobe?
I have the installer somewhere but not sure where, and it is now impossible to reinstall from the bought discs because Adobe have killed the activation server.
The only possibility is that the free one with the generic serial number will still activate.
If anyone has this installer - not a hacked one - I would be extremely grateful.
I have the dvd installer for *adobe Audition 3 and if some clever member of this esteemed community - a can-do guy or gal can digitise it to a file we can all share then I would gladly contribute it physically by post or whatever
This DVD I bought back in the 90ties (serial number on the back) for about 250Irish pounds -the thing about it is ... I have many times installed it and it works okay but the 30 day limit keeps recurring and there is never anyone on the end of the activation phone number they give
Also the download to substitute they had up for free to owners who complained that DL is said to be broken
Audition 3 AKA Audition CS2 is a goner !
All this reinstalling palaver makes me sick and tired of this DVD which has become a bitter reminder of what that shower did with *adobe Audition 3 and I will give it away if it can/will serve in another form
---------------------------------
(*definitely a smalll a for them)

Last edited:
1137-1004-8571-6848-7845-8029

The above is the serial # Adobe offered, thanks to Wayback Machine, for the Adobe Audition 3.0 download.

Here is a link to the original program file. I offer this only because it was given freely before. If it is a problem, them mods are welcome to remove it.

I hope it is what is looked for.
I see a few other people are having to reinstall it as well long after all the methods shown here and elsewhere have ceased to work and are having the same headaches as me.

Also as I have told innumerable numbers of guys, I refuse to tolerate any situation that involves Software as a (Subscription) Service especially for something that removed all the features I need/use in the more modern versions - so no matter how many times these idiots keep trying to push a sale of a modern product and keep pasting in links to do so - I will just as forcefully and just as repeatedly inform them that their response is not valid and they need to escalate.

With their repetitions of stalemates between various Adobe departments and the peer-to-peer advice sites offering neither solutions to the problem nor compliance with escalation directives to engineers who can - and spending days going around the various forums and sub-reddits and such - hopefully people can put the whole thing in the same place at the same time so people don't have to keep chasing around.

Even though
1 the basic program can be found on the Wayback Machine as indicated
2 you need the Unlock Code in ADDITION to the Post-Activation Crash Product Key
3 you need some strange version of a specific file as well of whose title nobody will divulge
4 the file in the Wayback Machine is the same trial version everybody else has
SteveG said:
You need BOTH the unlock code, AND its product key. The product serial number for the version given away by Adobe in the days after the activation server crashed is no secret: 1137-1004-8571-6848-7845-8029. However the correct file itself to which it applies has some sort of odd name, which you will have to find yourself. That number won't work with any other version.
So obviously without any clue what to look for on e g the Wayback Machine, `dropping clues' is no use. The only other thing I found online is
Kris25190249wdyq said:
The hard copy of Audition 3 is installable with a fully working DAW. Copy the .MST .INI and .CFG file from the Post Activation Server Crash version into the folder of the original disc version and use your original key to install - not the key for the post-crash version - the key from the disc version. Poof! A fully working Audition 3!
But since there's no replies there or anything on any of the off-site/non-Adobe e.g Reddit threads - makes life a little tough to know if it works or not AND the fact that all the normal Product Keys/Serial Numbers are said to no longer work anyway.
and 2
how to de-activate the disc version on your drive before re-installing the post-crash version:
SteveG said:
Delete folders:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Audition 3.0\

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{53C141BA-4F9E-43FB-B4F9-0C01BB716FA8}

Delete these Registry groups:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\4CF9FE68902F02547B1E7CFFE0BEFDFFHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\AB141C35E9F4BF344B9FC010BB17F68A

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\AB141C35E9F4BF344B9FC010BB17F68A

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Audition\3.0\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Audition\3.0\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Installer\Features\4CF9FE68902F02547B1E7CF FE0BEFDFF

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Installer\Features\AB141C35E9F4BF344B9FC01 0BB17F68A

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Installer\Products\4CF9FE68902F02547B1E7CF FE0BEFDFF

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Installer\Products\AB141C35E9F4BF344B9FC01 0BB17F68A

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer \UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\4CF9FE68902F02547B1E7CFFE0BEFDFF

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer \UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\AB141C35E9F4BF344B9FC010BB17F68A

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall \{53C141BA-4F9E-43FB-B4F9-0C01BB716FA8}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall \Adobe Audition 3.0
Being we are not bound by the policy of any manufacturer and Adobe itself released this to the public en-masse for years before it became so called unsupported, maybe somebody can put a step by step tutorial up in here.

Other members from other websites could then find this thread and have it help them as well and nevermind people who are unwilling or unable to provide the direct information `usable by a human'.

Last edited:
Back