Audio Fidelity Quad SACD Titles Definitely NOT Happening

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
AF Quad Titles Definitely NOT Happening

I have been thinking about creating this thread for awhile, and I know some of the info exists in other threads, but since someone has now specifically requested this:

Can someone please list somewhere here all the quads that Marshall/AF have said are not available to be done, for whatever reason, so we can stop asking for them?

I now hereby open a thread where we can all contribute what we know about quad titles which seem unlikely for Audio Fidelity, or in some cases for any release by anyone. Please post titles below and please include a category

such as the ones listed below as to WHY the title may not be forthcoming. Feel free to create a new category. I will try to summarize the posts on this first page from time to time. It will then become easier to see what is eligible

for release.

I am posting this in the general "Rumor Mill - Rumblings in surround" area since some of this information will be relevant beyond the Audio Fidelity series.

This thread should not be considered a definitive word on any title, and in fact I hope all these titles see release one day. This is simply meant to condense some of the discussions elsewhere on QQ so we can either focus our

energies elsewhere or possibly help to overcome the challenges presented. One of the threads that provided much of this information is here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-SACD-Releases&p=230309&viewfull=1#post230309

Reasons a Quad title will not likely be issued on SACD by Audio Fidelity (and in some cases, by anyone):

Updated 11/4/15

1. Tapes verified to have been destroyed

Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get
There are said to be others, but I have not seen specific titles. Can anyone help?

2. Missing tapes

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends
Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord
The Raiders - Greatest Hits
The Raiders - Hard & Heavy
Joe Walsh - So What

A&M Quad Albums
Universal Music Titles

3. Artists who have declined requests

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky
Eagles - On the Border
Eagles - One of These Nights
The Grassroots - 16 Greatest Hits
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns
Frank Zappa - Overnight Sensation
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

4. Excessive licensing fees

5. Licenses tied up with other reissue labels

Jeff Beck - Wired
The Cars - first album
Maria Muldaur - Waitress In The Donut Shop

6. Previously released on SACD

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
Blood Sweat & Tears - II
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
Chicago - Chicago VI
Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me
Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street
Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits
Doobie Brothers - Stampede
Bob Dylan - Desire
Bob Dylan - Planet Waves
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World
Billy Joel - Turnstiles
Billy Joel - Piano Man
Santana - Abraxas
Santana - Caravanserai
Santana & McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
Carly Simon - No Secrets
Carly Simon - Hotcakes
Carly Simon - Carly Simon
James Taylor - Gorilla
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Ten Years After - A Space In Time
Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night

Last edited:
I guess #6 rules out BS&T II. As for #4 I'd be willing to pay extra for certain titles.

N. 6 is considering USA or other market releases (Japan-only for example?)

The Cars

(This one hurts.. MFSL QUADBLOCK)

Edit: My mistake, this is of course an unreleased 5.1 and not a Quad..
Anyway it now appears Warners are blocking 5.1 licensing to AF without any help from MFSL..!

Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night

(MFSL released a Stereo SACD 10 years ago.. Can that really mean there is no hope of an AF Surround SACD now?)

Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World

(MFSL released a Stereo SACD 10 years ago.. Can that really mean there is no hope of an AF Surround SACD now?)

MFSL also released BS&T, but that still got out.....while it seems past reissues works against things, it doesn't rule things out completely. I don't really like the concept of this thread, I don't consider anything off the table. Licenses change, policies change, time passes making reissues more desirable, tapes are found, safety copies turn up.....I give up on nothing.

There was an unreleased DVD-A which had test pressings done. I know, since I have one. Even if the masters and safety copies are missing, the information on this disc could be cloned for a 5.1 SACD.

Unknown-6.jpeg

One of the best Quads and one of the best DVD-A's, musically and surround mix(es).

Chicago

(X - missing master tapes; other albums Quadblocked by MFSL).

Hi Adam, :)

Which tapes are bad? The 1st gen multi-track or the 2nd gen Quad mix master tape(that was made).

Hey laddie....let me mention something unrelated...well...not entirely...blow by blow in multichannel is available at more favorable prices now...I bought a new copy for $60 2 years ago..and even the used copies were getting those prices at that time..now you can grab a used copy for much less here

Hey laddie....let me mention something unrelated...well...not entirely...blow by blow in multichannel is available at more favorable prices now...I bought a new copy for $60 2 years ago..and even the used copies were getting those prices at that time..now you can grab a used copy for much less here

Hello my handsome lad,

I assume we are talking multi-channel? Some of those on Amazon looked like 2.0. Yeah the prices are dropping, I guess they manufactured a bunch!

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10001#customer-review on sale :)

This is the 4.0(mistakenly reported as 5.1) that Jon told us about AND it has the wonderful 7 inch over-sized paper pouch! (y)

Funny, just now I am ripping a Q8 version of Beck - Wired into flac to check out on my HTPC. :smokin

By the way: Your URL to Jeff Beck - Wired looks like 2.0 :mad:

Multiple Guess Who & Jefferson Airplane & Starship & Hot Tuna titles quadblocked by Iconoclassic.

Hello my handsome lad,

I assume we are talking multi-channel? Some of those on Amazon looked like 2.0. Yeah the prices are dropping, I guess they manufactured a bunch!

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10001#customer-review on sale :)

This is the 4.0(mistakenly reported as 5.1) that Jon told us about AND it has the wonderful 7 inch over-sized paper pouch! (y)

Funny, just now I am ripping a Q8 version of Beck - Wired into flac to check out on my HTPC. :smokin

By the way: Your URL to Jeff Beck - Wired looks like 2.0 :mad:

Dennis...the link I provided for Blow By Blow(I know there is a joke in there somewhere)is the multichannel version...I tracked it straight from my orders page on amazon and also from the SACD.net link...when you are talking about amazon listings..well...let's just say I would take the word of a prominent Mexican drug cartel leader over the accuracy of an amazon listing...amazon is focused more on space travel these days...going where no other retail website has gone before:teleport:..and yes the acoustic sounds link for Wired was indeed stereo...that's why there will be NO multichannel version in the near future..

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I have no idea...

Back