After many years of work & school, my work load has become less and I started getting back into the Quadraphonic Music system.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone,
After many years of work and school, my work load has become much less stressful and I have more time on my hands. So I started getting back into things like Quadraphonic music.

In the mid 90's I was given a Quadraphonic system with a receiver, a CD-4 module and a turntable, and 4 speakers from family members. They purchased the system used. I was using the system at first, but later I had to just leave the system in the corner of an apartment not set up because of space, time and matter and very thin walls. When I moved into a house again, I set up the Quadraphonic system, but the receiver was not working properly anymore. I tried to find some places to repair the system, but most of the technicians did not want to have anything to do with older receivers.

But, about a month ago, I took the system over to a repair shop in VA and coming this Monday, I am going down there from NJ to pick up the repaired system.

Its a Marantz 4400 with the Marantz CD-4 external Module and the SQA-2 under the receiver. I will be able to play both CD-4 and SQ records. I have a second turntable now and will use for SQ, and I think its a Dual that I will use for the CD-4. They replaced all the Caps, lights and few other things that I do not remember now, but will see the itemized list on Monday.

Currently I am using an older Kenwood receiver with a new Audio-technica turntable. Later, I'll set up both Audio-technica and the Dual to the Marantz.

In recent years, I have been listening to music through CD's, MP3's and online formats. When I started to use the turntable again, and started listening to vinyl, I found it very interesting what my mind had gotten used to, and how much I had forgotten about the sound quality of vinyl. The differences are night and day.

I believe using vinyl is the least expensive way to get a quality sound system. The horns and the cymbals come alive on vinyl and there is so much that is missing on the digital formats I was using. I am also a drummer, and with the vinyl I can here the wooden stick hitting the cymbal, whereas with a CD recording that use, the cymbal sound just blends with stroke and it is hard to hear the definition of the stick hitting the cymbal. I am not sure if its the sampling rate, or just the analog to digital format that is lacking.

With some of the vinyl recordings, I feel I can tell you the brand of cymbal being played and what decade they were made. I was using Spotify to listen to music to learn the drum parts, and sometimes its very hard to tell the difference between a hi-hat or the cross stick sound.

I am also searching for the Quad Albums, and its interesting because I remember most of the music when it was new. I'm looking forward to many years of listening pleasure.

What I would like to do, and I do not know how, is to record some of the Quad and or surround sound for future playback. But, I do not know how that is done other than using something like a Teac 3340 reel to reel.

Update:
I picked up the equipment but have not yet set it all up. Even though my work load has drastically been reduced lately, I am still working some long hours.

The biggest problem with digital recordings is that many are poorly mastered. "The Loudness Wars"; all life is squished out of the recording to make is sound louder! Digital technology itself is not really the problem.

I like to digitise my vinyl collection for several reasons. The first reason is convenience, second to preserve the vinyl, third is to remove any clicks and pops. Vinylphobes will go on about the annoying ticks and pops of vinyl, but with copies that are still in decent condition many/most of those imperfections go mostly unnoticed without any processing!

I would suggest making digital copies of your quad collection rather than reel to reel, on the other hand playing with old technology can be fun.

Hello Everyone,
After many years of work and school, my work load has become much less stressful and I have more time on my hands. So I started getting back into things like Quadraphonic music.

In the mid 90's I was given a Quadraphonic system with a receiver, a CD-4 module and a turntable, and 4 speakers from family members. They purchased the system used. I was using the system at first, but later I had to just leave the system in the corner of an apartment not set up because of space, time and matter and very thin walls. When I moved into a house again, I set up the Quadraphonic system, but the receiver was not working properly anymore. I tried to find some places to repair the system, but most of the technicians did not want to have anything to do with older receivers.

But, about a month ago, I took the system over to a repair shop in VA and coming this Monday, I am going down there from NJ to pick up the repaired system.

Its a Marantz 4400 with the Marantz CD-4 external Module and the SQA-2 under the receiver. I will be able to play both CD-4 and SQ records. I have a second turntable now and will use for SQ, and I think its a Dual that I will use for the CD-4. They replaced all the Caps, lights and few other things that I do not remember now, but will see the itemized list on Monday.

Currently I am using an older Kenwood receiver with a new Audio-technica turntable. Later, I'll set up both Audio-technica and the Dual to the Marantz.

In recent years, I have been listening to music through CD's, MP3's and online formats. When I started to use the turntable again, and started listening to vinyl, I found it very interesting what my mind had gotten used to, and how much I had forgotten about the sound quality of vinyl. The differences are night and day.

I believe using vinyl is the least expensive way to get a quality sound system. The horns and the cymbals come alive on vinyl and there is so much that is missing on the digital formats I was using. I am also a drummer, and with the vinyl I can here the wooden stick hitting the cymbal, whereas with a CD recording that use, the cymbal sound just blends with stroke and it is hard to hear the definition of the stick hitting the cymbal. I am not sure if its the sampling rate, or just the analog to digital format that is lacking.

With some of the vinyl recordings, I feel I can tell you the brand of cymbal being played and what decade they were made. I was using Spotify to listen to music to learn the drum parts, and sometimes its very hard to tell the difference between a hi-hat or the cross stick sound.

I am also searching for the Quad Albums, and its interesting because I remember most of the music when it was new. I'm looking forward to many years of listening pleasure.

What I would like to do, and I do not know how, is to record some of the Quad and or surround sound for future playback. But, I do not know how that is done other than using something like a Teac 3340 reel to reel.

Update:
I picked up the equipment but have not yet set it all up. Even though my work load has drastically been reduced lately, I am still working some long hours.
Welcome into the best Quad/Surround and ā€œall about musicā€ forum in the world!

I would also recommend (once youā€™re set up with your current gear) to look into a well loved modern piece of gear for QS/SQ sources and amazing matrixed up-mixes of regular stereo sources, called the Involve Surround Master (currently into version 3 model.) Many of us here have one or two and love ā€˜em!

Just realized youā€™ve posted up another thread about your system earlier and Iā€™d already mentioned the Surround Master; keep us informed on your progress.

Last edited:
There's a lot of happiness and light in digital audio storage now and especially for surround. We can play fully discrete 24 bit HD multichannel digital files with master audio quality. No encode/decode degradation.

Collecting for the best sound quality release of an album is still a hobby that is alive and well. I'd say even more so in the digital era. There are in fact novelty releases made with extremely damaging mastering nowadays! But there are also releases made to perfection that wipe the floor with the best analog copies from the past. (And everything in between.)

AD converters (found in audio interfaces) are the best recording devices ever made. A high end audio interface with the number of outputs you need for your planned speaker array is a fraction of the cost of a vinyl system. (And vinyl for surround must be encoded/decoded and is thus always lossy.)

Vinyl is still hand down the single most expensive way to consume music if you strive for studio quality. You might want to consider if the interest is in consuming surround music in as pristine quality as possible or more about demoing the experience of using older analog formats. Or maybe both! Best of luck with either direction!

Welcome into the best Quad/Surround and ā€œall about musicā€ forum in the world!

I would also recommend (once youā€™re set up with your current gear) to look into a well loved modern piece of gear for QS/SQ sources and amazing matrixed up-mixes of regular stereo sources, called the Involve Surround Master (currently into version 3 model.) Many of us here have one or two and love ā€˜em!

Just realized youā€™ve posted up another thread about your system earlier and Iā€™d already mentioned the Surround Master; keep us informed on your progress.
Pupster, thank you for you suggestions and your welcome. I am confused about what the Involve Surround Master does. I looked it up and 1. It appears to only have a setting for SQ, and not QS. Are SQ and QS the same format? It also appears that the device would do the same as the SQ-2 module that I have on the bottom of my Marantz 4400? I also have a separate unit to decode the CD-4 format. Perhaps what you are saying and I may be missing the point, is that the involve audio unit will allow me to hook up a 5th speaker into my system that I do not have currently. But, as of yet do not see the need for it.

Pupster, thank you for you suggestions and your welcome. I am confused about what the Involve Surround Master does. I looked it up and 1. It appears to only have a setting for SQ, and not QS. Are SQ and QS the same format? It also appears that the device would do the same as the SQ-2 module that I have on the bottom of my Marantz 4400? I also have a separate unit to decode the CD-4 format. Perhaps what you are saying and I may be missing the point, is that the involve audio unit will allow me to hook up a 5th speaker into my system that I do not have currently. But, as of yet do not see the need for it.
Sorry for the confusion ( you can thank Chucky & Dave for that)
I need some others here like @Sonik Wiz to help out with the finer points; but a Surround Master decodes QS via its ā€œInvolveā€ mode. SQ & QS are different matrix Quad systems. IMO a good QS mixed/encoded recording is typically a little more discrete sounding than SQ; and there are tons of old and even a few new ones encoded with it.

I'm surprised the technicians wouldn't touch a 4400... it is a beast, yep, but it is worth the restoration. My restorations all ran 1000 bucks, or more. If you need, I can provide you with the name of my local guy, up in Huntington Beach. Folks all over the US send him things to do. At least, he might know people in your area who do such things.

The restoration is a lot more than just replacing cap, and LED (yuck, I hope you didn't fall for that)... it means taking it all the boards apart and repairing them as needed. It's a LOT of parts. But it does a fantastic job for the unit and the sound.

I have had a number of vintage units restored... a 4415, 2325, AS980, etc, etc, etc... There is some sharing of parts between Akai and Pioneer, for example. Marantz shares the wired remote with the Akai as well.

However, I got to tell you that they are vintage units and they sound... vintage. Sort of like playing Led Zeppelin's Rain Song on a rainy, cloudy afternoon.

By the time the late 70s come on with the high slew rate units ( Sansui G-7500 ) the sound opened up a lot.. much faster, not so plodding. Think Steely Dan instead.

Oh, do plan on getting a good turntable... like a used Linn LP12. It will truly open up the sound. Some people are into the DD, I am not. I prefer the sound of belt drives.

OH, what kind of speakers? You might want to upgrade those too. I would recommend the Elac Unifi 2.0 B52 bookshelf speakers. They're on the Elac outlet store -most of the time. They sound fine and being smallish, a quad pair won't overrun your room ( I got on pair in an alternate 2ch set up). A set of four will run about 1300 bucks with tax and license and shipping.

Have fun.

Back