HiRez Poll Air - 10000 Hz Legend [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Air - 10000 Hz Legend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 reissue of the album "10000 Hz Legend" by Air.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/10-000-hz-legend-2021-remastered/1589310076
(y) :) (n)

71fnYzJ5MrL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Received today and I’m really enjoying it!! :SB Agreed with opinions that state that this is in the same level of Kraftwerk 3D & Yello, I would add Booka Shade’s Dear Future Self. This will be played continuosly for sure!!
I hope Talkie Walkie have the same treatment!!

A strong 9 for me ;)

Last edited:
Air - 10 000 Hz Legend

I received my disc 4 days ago and have listened to it many, many times since then. I first listened to this several times on Apple Music and liked it but I don't recall it, or the ATMOS mix, sounding anywhere near as good as this disc sounds! Just an outstanding surround mix. I'd put this ATMOS mix up there along with King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King (The Complete 1969 Recordings), Yello's Point, and Kraftwerk's 3D The Catalogue.

It starts with a little bit of a Pink Floyd - On The Run type synths sections that I wish they did more of....I love those trippy synths! They have several vocalists, some with effected vocals, but one part sounds like Bryan Ferry / Roxy Music / Eno-ish to me. You have a Beck Hansen song with trippy background electronics (he's on 2 cuts). I hear a little bit of Flaming Lips and Super Furry Animals sounds as well.

I believe someone posted on another thread that they didn't care for the packaging and had already torn the cardboard putting the disc in it's section. I've didn't like digging into that slot either so I moved the liner notes to that section and put the blu-ray disc in the outer, easy to access section.

I'm going to have to check out Air's other releases now!

This is an easy 10 for me!

I just have a first listen to the Blu-Ray Atmos.

It is really discrete with sounds coming from different locations. What has caught my attention has been voices and drums in some tracks coming from above in a very obvious an loud way. Also in the track Radio #1 voice (each verse) coming from different locations each.

The different sounds come from wide locations. I mean, you don't identify clearly the speaker, but a wide zone from the sound comes. It uses the Wide Speakers a lot, so good return from a 9.1.4 system.

On the negative side for me, In some of the tracks I feel a subtle smudged sound, in the bass and in the cymbals high frequencies. I think it is intentional this type of sound master, but when you get used to other super clear mixes like, say, Golden Bonana from Mr. Afternoon, then you hear the rest slightly smudged.

It is at the level of Yello Point, Kraftwerk, or Booka Shade, with respect to the use of discrete Atmos mix. This makes you to enjoy a lot even if the music itself is not your most preferred style.

I will give this only a 9, because of the not very clear pristine sound for me. Perhaps will update after more listens.

Last edited:
I never would have given this one a second glance if it weren't for this forum, but I am so glad I picked it up. Really loving this album, which reminds me equally of Kraftwerk, Ween, and Beck with just a bit of Floyd trippiness for good measure, and the surround mix is just fantastic. I've only listened to the DTS-HD mix, as I don't have Atmos capabilities yet, but it is still a fully immersive experience. One of my favorite recent surround purchases!

Air is one of those bands I keep putting off checking out so this was a blind buy for me. It is grower musically and I agree with the other reviews comparing it with the Yello and Kraftwerk releases. The mix is outstanding with all kinds of very discreet things happening in all directions, even on my 5.1.4 system. I will be pushing this one on all my friends with surround systems and hope they continue the series.

This disc is so well done. First, let me say I am familiar with Air, and have listened before a bit and do like them, but not quite as much as their British counterparts Zero 7. The two Beck songs - and particularly "Don't be Light" is flat out stunning. The rest of the disc is as well
Wasn't 100% sure about this purchase, until I popped it in. Now I'm 100% glad I did!

What an enjoyable romp, Great album great mix right up there.

Plenty happening all around.

Now where/when do we get Moon Safari, and La Voyage Dan's La Lune

Note: this is a review of the 5.1 mix. I know the thread specifies the Atmos mix, but since the 5.1 is an official part of the package, I feel like it should be fair game to review.

I'm actually disappointed by this mix -- it feels quite front-centric/double stereo to me, much more so than I would've anticipated based on the music. To my ears, there's not a ton of unique content in the surrounds (as far as stuff that's not also in the fronts), except for obvious things such as the vocals in the second verse of Radio #1 ("melancholy snipers", etc.) jumping from speaker to speaker. Even there, though, at those moments, those vocals are pretty much the *only* thing going on in the surrounds.

I was hoping for this album to be opened up more, and I don't feel like this mix accomplishes that. A lot of the time, it feels like there are keyboards and other things smashed up front that could've been uniquely moved to the surrounds and helped the album to breathe better.

In a lot of ways, this mix reminds me of the 5.1 mixes for the Bjork albums, which disappointed me for similar reasons.

I voted an 8, but not particularly enthusiastically.

Great Atmos effects. IMHO this is the worst Air album. And it's not even close as to how easily I believe it holds that accolade. I can recommend the mix, but the tunes? Atmos makes it a more entertaining listen with things ping ponging around the room and doing 360 degree swoops, it just doesn't make the tunes any less bad or any more bearable. Do the same on Moon Safari or Love or The Virgin Suicides and we've got fried gold. On this? Fraid not.

Of course this means I don't know how to score it. There's a range from 1 to 10. I've always been more predisposed to follow the example of the late and much lamented "Amiga Power". They gave review scores on games using the full range from zero to 100, whereas other gaming magazines would give even crap games (like Rise Of The Robots) 93%. AP gave the same crap game 5%. So giving something I think is bad a score of 8 or 7 or whatever, when the highest you can give is 10, well it doesn't work for me. However, the last time I did this I was told I was an idiot. So in that spirit? Yeah it's great, 10 out of 10.*

*not really, This is a 3. And that's purely for the Atmos mix.**
** I own this on CD. I bought it when it came out, thinking it would be like "Moon Safari" Ha! So I knew what I was buying and how bad the album is. But, I thought "maybe the Atmos mix will make it'll be better". It doesn't ***
***Note to self. If it's wick in stereo, no amount of surround sound jiggery pokery is going to make the music any better.****
****further note to self, don't put asterisks at the end of things. It's just annoying.

Last edited:
Great Atmos effects. IMHO this is the worst Air album. And it's not even close as to how easily I believe it holds that accolade. I can recommend the mix, but the tunes? Atmos makes it a more entertaining listen with things ping ponging around the room and doing 360 degree swoops, it just doesn't make the tunes any less bad or any more bearable...

I don't know anything about AIR outside this surround release. If this is the worst AIR album then I say "let's bring on some more AIR" as I think it's an interesting listen with an excellent ATMOS mix.

To imagine it could only get better 🍻

Last edited:
Back