AIX Ernest Ranglin DVD-A/V is Complete!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. AIX

Since 2002/2003
This has been almost two years in the making but the Ernest Ranglin "Order of Distinction" Collectors Edition 2-disc [four sides] is finished. In case you don't know who Ernest Ranglin is...he's an amazing 75 year old Jamaican jazz guitarist that was instrumental in establishing Ska and reggae as dominant forms of world music back in the late 50's and early 60's. On this release, he's joined by Robby Krieger from the Doors, Elliot Easton from The Cars, Laurence Juber, Jeff Lorber, Adrian Young, Monty Alexander, Elan Atias and Alana Davis.

The tracks are incredible and the video is first rate shot in HD. Hanna-McEuen is right behind...maybe next month.

I'll write more in a while, but iTrax.com, the web's first 5.1 HD download site is almost ready to launch. Previews will be happening in Orlando at the EHX conference.

Thanks, put in my order. I do wish there was a "cheaper" version of DVD-audio only available - $49.50 is a bit steap for the average man.

Thanks, put in my order. I do wish there was a "cheaper" version of DVD-audio only available - $49.50 is a bit steap for the average man.

I agree the price is high, but AIX is a limited quantity, extraordinarily high audio quality release company. I will bet they have done their homework and know what price works. The releases aren't going to appeal to a mass market regardless of price and breaking even, or hopefully even making a modest profit is obviously the goal with each release. Having multiple versions of each release has surely been considered, it probably isn't a good idea with packaging costs and possible consumer confusion.

I just hope AIX continues to prosper with this business, it seems to be a model for high quality niche market releases.

Chris

Well, Chris. I have most of their releases - and agree they have always released a first class product. Maybe the best sound quality of any of the studios. The prices have always been high. Personally I seldom if ever watch music releases for the video; the Roy Orbison release being an exception, and I do believe price is a governing factor for many people. Only a few, like me, pay top price, x2, for something like this release - especially for extra's which are, to me, irrelevant to my interest.

I just received this, and the Paul Williams, Willy Nelson et al release, in the mail. Both are first rate, in performance, and in acoustics I listed to both DVD-A multichannel discs - and couldn't leave them. Wonderful music. I hope they get some play in the press - they really are top of the line hi rez surround releases, and deserve to be recognized, and played. Oh, Monty Alexander is on all the Ernest Ranglin pieces, and at top form.

That isn't a surprise, we all expected another exceptional release in terms of fidelity, performance and mix. Have you seen anything regarding consideration of AIX moving on to Blu-ray and/or HD DVD with future releases? If it is being considered, and only one format makes sense, I vote for Blu-ray.

Chris

I hope they keep DVD-audio for the audio part - I don't think anything out there compares to a well done DVD-Audio multichannel disc - especially these. From what I've seen the audio spec on recent HD releases was only 48/24. And most of us, per the survey, still use DVD-Audo or SACD.

I hope they keep DVD-audio for the audio part - I don't think anything out there compares to a well done DVD-Audio multichannel disc - especially these. From what I've seen the audio spec on recent HD releases was only 48/24. And most of us, per the survey, still use DVD-Audo or SACD.

Probably true but I am sure Dolby TrueHD and 5.1 PCM can match DVD-A quality wise. The Blu-ray installed base is just a fraction of DVD-A and will be for some time so it probably isn't a good idea right now to release on Blu-ray.

Chris

I know I don't get here often, but I thought I would drop a quick note before I start working.

Relative to pricing...I base this on the costs of production [an HD shoot and all of the post production phases can easily top $150,000] and the limite appeal of the titles. There are only so many people out there that know about what we do AND are fans of the artists. It's a challenge...really. In reality, AIX Records is not a profit center but a labor of love and a sincere commitment to quality and the advancement of music reproduction.

In answer to the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray question...too high a cost and little chance of long term viability. THings are going to servers...and I can do this right now incrementally.

Again, thanks for the positive postings. I appreciate it.

BTW the new Hanna McEuen "Tried and True" is complete...electric country with great music and harmonies.

Watch for iTrax.com coming this summer.

Back