AIX Forum Section

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I don't know what I was thinking when I failed to create this section a few years ago when we started with these "Makers of Surround Music" sections, because as most of you know, AIX has been making some of the BEST surround discs in the industry for quite some time.

With apologies to QQ Member Mark Waldrep (Dr. AIX), I am finally coming around to it. Please use this section to discuss the titles released by AIX records and to connect with Mark if you wish. I am sure he will stop by here from time to time. He also has a very informative blog that can be connected to on his site.

https://www.aixrecords.dreamhosters.com/
If you find an AIX related, non-poll thread in the forum, please let me know either via PM or by leaving a link here in this thread and I'll move it to this section.

THANKS!

Last edited:
I just got John Gorka's "The Gypsy Life" (BD) yesterday. Yes, I know that Mark first released it a decade ago, and released the Blu-ray five years ago. At any rate, it's a fantastic performance, great songs, beautifully recorded, and a great, discrete mix (I prefer the "on stage" mix to "audience," but both are good). Not only is John Gorka great, but so are the other musicians. John Manring's fretless electric bass playing is a highlight. It's exquisite without being showy. He never lets his astonishing chops get in the way of the music. His tone is just gorgeous. This recording definitely deserves a spot in the poll. I hope that a bunch of of us own it. If you've been considering buying it, don't put it off.

For those who don't know John Gorka, he's a folksy singer-songwriter.

Has Aix records ceased to exist?

Every link I've tried says not available :unsure:

Although found this interesting article on snake oil...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/mark-waldrep-in-trouble-again.3680/
And he fills some of his time by doing this:
https://www.csudh.edu/dma/faculty/mwaldrep

As it happens, @beerking, I was just wondering the same thing this morning when, like you, I found almost all the links on AIX's site either dead or coughing up blood. I phoned the orders number listed on the catalog page and...spoke to Dr. Mark Waldrep himself! He says all is well, only they're in the middle of building a new website (which will a include a revived iTRAX featuring hi-res mutli-track downloads from AIX, 2L, Naxos, and others), and things are a bit wonky at the moment. But he was happy to take my phone order for the Joe Porcaro big band album, which I expect by the weekend.

As it happens, @beerking, I was just wondering the same thing this morning when, like you, I found almost all the links on AIX's site either dead or coughing up blood. I phoned the orders number listed on the catalog page and...spoke to Dr. Mark Waldrep himself! He says all is well, only they're in the middle of building a new website (which will a include a revived iTRAX featuring hi-res mutli-track downloads from AIX, 2L, Naxos, and others), and things are a bit wonky at the moment. But he was happy to take my phone order for the Joe Porcaro big band album, which I expect by the weekend.

Thank goodness, humprof. I have a slew of Dr. Mark's DVD~As and even some of his BD~A/V discs [one or two in 3D as well].

It's a small world Humph!!
Great that you managed to get an order in and have a chat with Dr Aix!!

That's funny, I have been thinking about AIX Records these past few days and wondering if they were still in business. I have two of their titles: Nitty Gritty Surround and Surrounded By Christmas, both of them very good. I wanted to try some more but their website and iTrax don't seem to be functional at the moment, as already stated above. There are some titles on Amazon, eBay etc and I have ordered John Gorka's Gypsy Life, Nicci Gilbert & Friends and Albert Lee's Tearing It Up. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

The demo disc that comes with his Music and Audio book has several tracks of different styles of music, all recorded in beautiful 96/24. All the tracks have both an "audience" and a "stage" surround mix. The book itself can be a bit dense if you're not an audio engineer, but its a fascinating read. And the recordings are superb. unnamed2.jpgunnamed.jpg

Last edited:
I had forgotten this forum included an AIX Records section. I'm back with a new project. As mentioned on another area of QQ, I'm launched a Kickstarter campaign for my second book: A User Guide to Streaming, Downloads, and Personal Audio. You can check it out at: Streaming, Downloads, and Personal Audio.

Book_Mockup_2.jpg

I've included a special reward that gets you the book AND 5 AIX Records album downloads from iTrax.com for only $100. Thanks for the support.

Mark

Back