AIX Records - DVD-Audio - lack of discussion here?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the AIX catalog is not without its faults, but by and large it is quite good. One title that sounded very promising but failed to deliver (just my opinion) was The Surf City Allstar Band - I Get Surround. Bleh. I'm a big surf music fan and this title falls short, musically. The music borders on "Elevator Surf Music".

Cai Campbell said:
Well, the AIX catalog is not without its faults, but by and large it is quite good. One title that sounded very promising but failed to deliver (just my opinion) was The Surf City Allstar Band - I Get Surround. Bleh. I'm a big surf music fan and this title falls short, musically. The music borders on "Elevator Surf Music".

I guess that's what makes the world go round. I happen to like this one except for their version of Sloop John B which really sucks.

VACamper said:
I just got my first AIX title, "Dorian Michael - Acoustic Blues with Albert Lee and Laurence Juber". I've only watched the DVD-Video side so far (because I was working out in my home gym). The music is pretty good, but the video is downright boring.
For the most part, the videos on the AIX discs serve to visually document the performers in the actual recording sessions and are not meant to be fully staged productions. Personally, I really enjoy these types of videos. They offer a nice blend between a session documentary and a staged performance. It's just cool to see the studio performance, including the acoustical environment, and compare that to what you're hearing. It's much more intimate and detailed than watching an actual stage performance with an audience. The only drawback for me is that I want to listen to the high-rez music AND watch the video! :eek:

I bit and bought "Bad Haggis" as a blind buy since I do like Ruben Blades. First listen and only the fidelity is impressive, the music is a puzzle to me, but I will listen a few more times before passing judgment. I will likely try some more and I hope they have another special like the recent one that could have resulted in I think 8 discs including a couple samplers for a little over $100. These high quality discs are worth that even if the music will have to become an acquired taste for me.

Chris

I just ordered 4 AIX titles, and am getting the 2 samplers thrown in as per their current special! I am getting:

AIX 80008 John McEuen and Jimmy Ibbotson with Jennifer Warnes $24.98
AIX 80010 Paul Smith, Jim DeJulio & David Tull $24.98
AIX 80016 Dorian Michael with Laurence Juber and Albert Lee $24.98
AIX 80018 Laurence Juber with Domenic Genova & Steve Forman $24.98
AIX 82000 Various $0
AIX 82001 AIX Records Artists $0

I'll let you know what I think when I get them. From what I am reading in this thread, they should be great.

Anyone else interested, their website is HERE! :D

I also ordered my first AIX release :
The Carl Verheyen Band - Rumor Mill

I had seen Carl live in Paris and it was nothing short of AMAZING. If you like Eric Johnson for instance, go ahead - Carl is just as gifted, melodic and smooth.

I'm only worried about two things :

1) How can I be sure that I will get the promised free sampler ? For instance, this sampler page says : "FREE with any 2-disc purchase or 1 Collectors Edition title".

Carl Verheyen's Rumour Mill is one of the two Collectors edition of AIX.

However, I did not see anything listed as free when I ordered my copy.

2) I haven't received a confirmation email although I provided a correct address and checked my spam folder. How long is the confirmation email supposed to arrive ?

Thanks in advance for the AIX fanatics who will maybe reply to me ;)

You have to order it. When you add the Carl Verheyen title to your cart, the price drops to zero.

YmSeb said:
I also ordered my first AIX release :
The Carl Verheyen Band - Rumor Mill

I had seen Carl live in Paris and it was nothing short of AMAZING. If you like Eric Johnson for instance, go ahead - Carl is just as gifted, melodic and smooth.

I'm only worried about two things :

1) How can I be sure that I will get the promised free sampler ? For instance, this sampler page says : "FREE with any 2-disc purchase or 1 Collectors Edition title".

Carl Verheyen's Rumour Mill is one of the two Collectors edition of AIX.

However, I did not see anything listed as free when I ordered my copy.

2) I haven't received a confirmation email although I provided a correct address and checked my spam folder. How long is the confirmation email supposed to arrive ?

Thanks in advance for the AIX fanatics who will maybe reply to me ;)

The "Carl Verheyen Band" set is good but not one of my favourites. Sonically I don't think this is Mark's best, maybe because of all the electric instruments.

I have never received a confirmation E-Mail from AIX. It usually takes 2 days to ship. It's a small operation so basically all you get is the confirmation that your order went through when you finish your credit card transaction. That's it. Send an E-Mail to this address

[email protected]

and tell her that you forgot to put the sampler into your cart. Your order number as reference would be a good idea.

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen...

I have contacted the email you gave me, Guy. Many thanks for that !

Thank you also for your opinion about Carl's set. Well, as this will be my first AIX product, I may be well impressed nonetheless. And no other artists were as much appealing to me, so...

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Cheers !

YmSeb said:
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen...

I have contacted the email you gave me, Guy. Many thanks for that !

Thank you also for your opinion about Carl's set. Well, as this will be my first AIX product, I may be well impressed nonetheless. And no other artists were as much appealing to me, so...

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Cheers !

Glad to help. Once you get the sampler you may find there is more to your liking than you think. If you like jazz, classical, blues or bluegrass there is a lot of great stuff there in all those categories.

Guy Robinson said:
Glad to help. Once you get the sampler you may find there is more to your liking than you think. If you like jazz, classical, blues or bluegrass there is a lot of great stuff there in all those categories.
Nice ! This really clever, as we usually never get the opportunity to test samples of hi-rez content...

Joplin replied me yesterday, here is what she wrote to me:

"you will definitely receive the new sampler with your order (I will
throw the previous one in there for you, too!) Normally if someone is a new
customer and they don't have it on their order form, I send it along anyway.
"

AIX RULES !!! (y)

The sampler is where I fell in love with "It's Morning," from the Nitty Gritty Surround disc, and sure enough...I fell in love with the entirety of Nitty Gritty.

YmSeb said:
AIX RULES !!! (y)

It does. They are very accomodating individuals. A lot of people are saying that DVD-A is dead but everytime I get an AIX order I have a hard time believing this. The sampler is a good idea because it just kind of sucks you in. When my next order arrives (probably next week) I will have their entire catalogue of non-classical releases. I have a few classical discs as well and a friend of mine ordered 6 more classical titles from them so I will get to hear those as well. We work close together so we just borrow the discs from each other for extended periods. When you get the sampler(s) there is a neat demonstration on #3 that takes you from a scratchy mono 78 RPM to stereo, to audience surround and finally to stage surround. Then it folds the whole thing back to mono again. They use the conclusion of the Firebird for this demo so it is very effective. I know since I started seriously collecting these about 2 months ago there has been virtually nothing else in my DVD player. Whenever I have time to play something it is always an AIX disc. Oh and Morph the Cat manages to sneak in there a few times as well. Everything else in my collection is being ignored at the moment. That will probably change over time but for now I am getting a lot of enjoyment from them.

Oh and "Calamari" is my favourite disc of the ones that I have heard so far which as you can tell is a considerable number.

Last edited:
Thanks to Guy, Felix and all the others contributors to this AIX discussion...and especially the encouraging comments. Things for AIX Records have undergone continual changes, especially as it relates to the video sides. I started the label without much experience or interest in the video aspect of the products...it was all about the music. Then as I received feedback we learned more about the world of video until now when all of the new productions are shot in HD [soon we will be able to deliver HD via some new initiatives].

As for the artists, I'm interested in getting the biggest names that will get on board with our methods and aesthetics. THere are some things in the works...stay tuned. We're always adding more audio and video to the web site and the launch of itrax.com is coming this summer.

I'm always open to questions or comments... just shoot me a line or even a phone call.

Mark Waldrep, Ph.d.

Dr. AIX said:
Thanks to Guy, Felix and all the others contributors to this AIX discussion...and especially the encouraging comments. Things for AIX Records have undergone continual changes, especially as it relates to the video sides. I started the label without much experience or interest in the video aspect of the products...it was all about the music. Then as I received feedback we learned more about the world of video until now when all of the new productions are shot in HD [soon we will be able to deliver HD via some new initiatives].

As for the artists, I'm interested in getting the biggest names that will get on board with our methods and aesthetics. THere are some things in the works...stay tuned. We're always adding more audio and video to the web site and the launch of itrax.com is coming this summer.

I'm always open to questions or comments... just shoot me a line or even a phone call.

Mark Waldrep, Ph.d.

Man just when you get to reaching 100% something else is released. I see "Moonlight Acoustica" is up there now as being available. Time to get out the credit card again. By the way, my last order arrived yesterday. It only took 6 days and no custom duties as well. Bonus! Everything with David Garfield on it is absolutely fantastic.

Mark,

Please keep releasing DVD-V / DVD-A Discs and not the dreaded DualDiscs. I have 5 of your titles now and will not buy any in DualDisc format.

Thanks for the great work otherwise :)

25 or 50$ a pop is to much for my budget now! But I appreciate the effort and dedication for quality... maybe I will be lucky to get another job.

Last edited:
I know these products are more expensive then standard CDs and most other DVD-A titles...but when you consider that they have at least three times the amount of media on them, I hope you can appreciate the need to try to recoup my expenses [forget about the idea of profits!]. AIX Records is absolutely dedicated to creating the very best recordings that we can AND include lots other cool stuff on the discs...multiple mixes, video, interviews etc.

This summer I will be launching iTrax.com...a web site where you can download individual tracks in whatever mix perspective and quality level you desire. This will be the first high-resolution, surround music web site ever. It's coming, stay tuned.

That would be a nice thing... If I can buy them one by one maybe would be easy to get them.

OT: If anybody that got the free samplers has the Romanian Folk Music one and doesn't like it, I would like to buy it for a resonable ammount :)
I mean this one.

Back