AKAI AS-1080DB/980 quad receivers- any good? looks pretty

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, this post is old but my receivers are way older. ;-)

So, my Akai AS980 is coming off a full on restoration soon. I've had it for many years, bought off the Canuck Audio forums from a guy in British Columbia quite a few years ago and it sat on the shelf for quite a while.

My question is... Will the Marantz RC-4 remote work with it. I believe I did ask this question years ago but never got an answer.

Oh, I have a Marantz SR4215 in the restoration pipeline. For that one, I got the RC-4 and SQA-1 module, but no CD4 demodulator.

The Akai sounds much warmer than the Marantz and the Sansuis that followed later. The 'feel' of the knobs is nowhere as luxurious as the Marantz but it has lots more. ;-)

I love my his and her Akai As1080 and 1080DB - Mrs is less enthused! Nor is she excited about the 16 speakers😂😂😂
EA7234BB-0AC3-48A5-806A-8B761D26CF22.jpeg375994B7-2031-4093-9820-12F76BD5767D.jpeg

The reason your Mrs is not enthused is because your 1080s don't have enough meters! Only five meters? At least you have the cool 4/2 mode display.
The 980, OTOH, has more meters, more controls and it just looks.... bigger. ;-)

Just because you have 16 speakers up and running, I assume that means the 1080 also drives two sets of quad speakers (A and B), you still have an issue setting the remote balance.

Well, the Marantz 2325 and Sansui G-7500 came out from their full restorations... but that's stereo.

The Akai AS980 came off its full restoration as well, it sounds much warmer... I'd say the Sansui has the cleanest sound ( wide bandwidth and DC coupled ), the Marantz the strongest bass and best feeling controls and the Akai is offers the 747 look and a very warm sound. All three have enough power to drive efficient speakers like my old ADS L810's but they will not do Maggies.

Now I got the Marantz 4415 in for a complete restoration... That one has the SQ1 module, the RC-4 wired remote and the wood case.

The 980 puts out a bit more than 50 watts per channel on stereo... which is interesting. You see, the technician who's rebuilding these units noted that the 980 actually SHUTS down the rear amplifier when it goes into 2 channel mode. You can actually hear a soft "thump" when you switch in and out of quad "speaker" mode. The Marantz, OTOH, has the same power whether in 2 or 4 channel mode, that's because it's amplifiers are always turned on: you can control the preamp mode, not the amp mode.

I thought that is a neat trick that Akai pulled, however, it is complex as it involves logic circuitry and relays

Another thing that is interesting about the Akai is that the meters go off and on depending on mode and source setting. If you go on stereo, only two power meters turn on, if you go on FM, both tuning meters go on, if you on AM, only the signal strength lights up.

There's also a correlation between the audio mode, which I think controls the preamp only and the speaker selection ( 2ch, 4ch) which controls the amplifiers. I guess it might be possible to screw modes up, but I haven't played enough with it. The fellow who rebuilt it, noticed it too and demo'd it to me but it doesn't break anything. Weird but he says it was complicated work to do and figure out.

Of course, the nice thing is that the CD-4 controls are on the front panel, except neither one of us, tech or I, have a proper source to drive it. It would be interesting if a CD-4 encoder device were available. Something you feed four channels into and it outputs a 5mV signal to drive the phono preamp.

As an aside, I'd like to note that I don't understand the asking price of current vintage components. IMHO, a lot of sellers are lying through their teeth when they claim "refurbished" or the like. In my experience, the going price for a full restoration for one of these: taking all the boards out; replacing all capacitors and relays; replacing diodes, transistors, resistors out of spec; rebuilding the power supply, power amplifier and tuner; calibrating the FM tuner, decoders, Dolby, etc... all runs about 1000 bucks. So there is NO way that those units selling for 700 bucks have gone through a restoration. No Fr###ng way.

So, my question still stands... will I smoke something if I plug the Marantz RC-4 remote into the Akai?

Last edited:
Only reason I refrained from AS-1080/70DB's is that these otherwise supurb receivers have no discrete outputs. Meaning if you don't have a Sanken/darlington powerpack arround somewhere, and if one blows in this these Akai's it's only good enough as a boat ankor! Untill someone aftermarket engineers and offers a 'replacement' powerpack substitute atleast. Better to use a 1080DB just as controll amp thus ( 1070DB has no pre/main in out option) And as far as I know,..nobody does still! Hence I opted for two AS-970's. like the 980, but no CD-4 demodulator build in. So use an external one. Note: Both 970 and 980 like the 1070DB do not have pre/main in/out option neither. But these 970 and 970 have discrete TO3 standard output transistors, with lots of brand new replacement options, so if you blow an output, its garanteed repairable! By the way in first photo in this thread. That's a luxman 2 channel and no AS-1080DB? Anyways these 1080's go for big bucks now! They are beautifull though! Cherish that one of yours!
Addendum: I payed for one 970 5 years ago in a local brick and mortar retail store $160 and the other one for $100 bucks in another local store working but as-is. How prices for quad gear have changed last 5 years!
Cosmetically both were mint and after cleaning deoxing and lubbing working 100% (except for one 2/4 channel indicator bulb is out in one unit). The litle plastic box with the dotted 2/4 channel light screen is glued sealed. It's thus one bulb that out! Anybody has idears how to open it safely?

Last edited:
I paid $250 including shipping from BC to SoCal. About six years ago.

But then, I spent a ton of money to get it rebuilt. It works like a charm.

Speaking of TO-3.... the Sansui G-7500 -and the like- have the high speed versions that are prone to failure. But, if your guy knows his stuff, he'll hopefully find a "friend" that has a spare set. Sure, you can replace the standard TO-3s for the high speed versions... but that will change the sound which absolutely defeats the purpose of rebuilding a vintage unit.

As far as the current prices... I think it's beyond stupid. People are buying stuff based on looks and flippers are selling them "mint" receivers... Like Superscope receivers for $250 bucks... WTF?

I happen to have a couple of NAD Monitor 2100 amps. They sound really good but the market won't buy them because they don't have the lights... go figure.

I found a 980 on the sidewalk badly abused, cleaned it but was never impressed with it.
Cd-4 unit was good and was a JVC board inside, SQ was not logic It had those funny speaker jacks
and ok sound but the size of the unit didn't fit anything I had room for. Because it was in so so shape and over size I gave it to a friend who destroyed it.
Another one bites the dust

I found a 980 on the sidewalk badly abused, cleaned it but was never impressed with it.
Cd-4 unit was good and was a JVC board inside, SQ was not logic It had those funny speaker jacks
and ok sound but the size of the unit didn't fit anything I had room for. Because it was in so so shape and over size I gave it to a friend who destroyed it.
Another one bites the dust

The parts are worth it. My power switch broke and a Pioneer switch fixed it.

The speaker connectors are identical to Pioneer's. There's a guy in eBay that sells adapters.

It's an impressive looking receiver, it has neat quarks... like the rear amps turn off when you put it into stereo only mode, unlike the Marantz that keeps all four channels on at all times. It has six front panels meters and a cool 2/4 mode tube meter. The meters turn on and off depending on the mode. That is a very cool thing to do.

But the feel of the controls is so so... Outside of High End units, the Marantz's have the best feeling controls (OK, the Luxman are as good or better). The Akai's controls just don't feel so good.

But, it is an impressive looking beast, it goes beyond 11, it goes to 27. (*)

However, it is an expensive unit to rebuild. I had mine rebuilt because I want to keep it, but it mostly sits in the closet. Sound wise it's not so great. If you want great vintage sound, go to Luxman or Sansui (when they went to the DC couple, high slew rate units from the G series). I suppose that because I got it so cheap ten years ago I could sell it- for an honest price- and get my money back, but from an audiophile stand point it is definitely "vintage" in a not so great way!

(*) Just when most units run into 17 inches of front panel width, the Akai 980 throws in the CD4 controls, a bunch more display and goes to.... not just 11... it goes to a full 27 inches wide.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago I found the Akai RC-4CH remote on eBay.

It's in great cosmetic shape but I did overpay for it. BUT, since I have the receiver, and after some negotiation and soul searching I bought it.

Back