Akai AS-980 Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desi123

Hi all, I have an Akai AS-980 and was wondering what the best quad setting would be there’s discrete-4ch, sq-logic, matrix, and CD-4. A side question is there a device that I can plug toslink into that would convert the incoming Dolby or dts to a quad output ie; left right front rca left right rear rca. Kinda like some kind of dac maybe? Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all, I have an Akai AS-980 and was wondering what the best quad setting would be there’s discrete-4ch, sq-logic, matrix, and CD-4. A side question is there a device that I can plug toslink into that would convert the incoming Dolby or dts to a quad output ie; left right front rca left right rear rca. Thanks
Welcome to the QQ forum @desi123 !

I once had a Technics SH-AC500D that would decode dts from dts-cd or dvd. You could turn off the center and sub to output 4.0 analog.
I do believe it could also do dolby digital. Not sure if I ever tried dts 96/24?
Search ebay for dts decoder and you will find several but not sure if all can be configured to output 4.0.

I once had a Technics SH-AC500D that would decode dts from dts-cd or dvd. You could turn off the center and sub to output 4.0 analog.
I do believe it could also do dolby digital. Not sure if I ever tried dts 96/24?
Search ebay for dts decoder and you will find several but not sure if all can be configured to output 4.0.

Can the Technics extract 4.0 from Dolby or dts and output it to the front and rear only as my Akai only has front and rear separation.

Yes, configure decoder to turn off the center and sub and decoder will send center and sw signal to right front and left front. Right rear and left rear would get intended output.

Yes, configure decoder to turn off the center and sub and decoder will send center and sw signal to right front and left front. Right rear and left rear would get intended output.
So would the rears be quieter and less bass? Question being I have a klipschorn for my left rear so I’d still want it to receive the full range you know. Thanks

So would the rears be quieter and less bass? Question being I have a klipschorn for my left rear so I’d still want it to receive the full range you know. Thanks
Another question being that the technics decoder is pretty old would it be compatible with an Xbox one or PlayStation 4 toslink?

I do not know the answer for compatibility.
All channels would get full volume and full range for dts and ac3.

I do not know the answer for compatibility.
All channels would get full volume and full range for dts and ac3.
And the Akai will be able to use that signal and interpret it properly? So it will output rear sounds in games and movies out the rears? Thanks

Back