Akai CR80d-SS units now want to go for big $$$ too

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dauQula

Not to be outdone by the recent Technics 858 that went for over $900, the Akai's are now out for the big bucks. Although this one's been modified with UV LED's and replacing the lame headphone switch with another headphone jack.. Still no pause control. Akai was selling the CRX-82 series with pause control at the same time, so it's not like they didn't think it was a big deal. the 82's had lighted VU's too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184758764800

I saw that one, seems like those extra bright LEDs would generate extra heat, but I do always end up shining the flash from my phone to see those VUs.
Just labeled some of my recorded tapes yesterday:
20210407_164904.jpg

If you start feeling heat from an LED, you had better turn off the power fast, because something else is probably overheating. You might be in more danger of unintentional suntans than heat from a UV LED in any case.

I wonder how hard would it be to add pause control. Could it just be as simple as a switch to cut off power to the AC motor or a relay to the motor?

Back