Al Stewart 50 disc career retrospective (no surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill B

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I didn't see anyone posting this yet if someone did my apologies.

Al Stewart hhas always held magical musical notes and poetic lyricism within his grasp. Unfortunately for the music world, much of that wasn’t discovered until his magnificent Year Of The Cat emerged in 1976. For decades, Al Stewart delivered excellent work, much of it steeped in history and exoticism. So, it is with no surprise that Madfish Music, the brilliant assembly plant of stunning and collectible box sets (Wishbone Ash Vintage Years, John Mayall – The First Generation, and Steve Hillage – Searching For The Spark), would endeavor to produce another unerring set that covers much of Al Stewart musical years.

On June 3, Madfish Music pulls out all stops for a creative 50CD Al Stewart Box called The Admiralty Lights: The Complete Studio, Live, and Rare 1964-2009. Inside will be 21 CDs of newly remastered studio albums that begin with Bedsitter Images (1967) and concludes with Sparks Of Ancient Light (2009). In addition, there are 18 CDs of previously unheard live show recordings from 1970-2009, three CDs filled with BBC Sessions recordings from 1965-1972, and an awe-striking eight CDs overflowing with demos, outtakes, and rarities pulled from the years of 1964 through 2008

1645741891818.png

For details see link below.

https://musictap.com/2022/02/24/al-stewart-career-celebrated-with-50cd-box-the-admiralty-lights/

Wow this thing is huge. 50 disks! I Luv's me some Al Stewart, but that's like overdosing! and at 325 pounds, that has to be like $500 plus shipping??? Al is cashing in on his legacy.

With a few exceptions, I already have all the studio albums in some form.

I have tix to see him on the upcoming US tour. I'm looking forward to it. He's bringing a full band this time!

Wow this thing is huge. 50 disks! I Luv's me some Al Stewart, but that's like overdosing! and at 325 pounds, that has to be like $500 plus shipping??? Al is cashing in on his legacy.

I have tix to see him on the upcoming US tour. I'm looking forward to it. He's bringing a full band this time!

Woah, nice tip on the tour—I had no idea! I'm now spending $57 to see him in the 3rd row in Phoenixville PA (the whole rest of the floor is sold out, they must have just been released for some reason) instead of $500 for this box. Very happy with that! Thank you.

Woah, nice tip on the tour—I had no idea! I'm now spending $57 to see him in the 3rd row in Phoenixville PA (the whole rest of the floor is sold out, they must have just been released for some reason) instead of $500 for this box. Very happy with that! Thank you.
I've seen him several times. But him having a full band is a rarity. Most other times he was all acoustic.

I've seen him several times. But him having a full band is a rarity. Most other times he was all acoustic.

Sounds like me and Bruce Cockburn—it's almost always been him and a guitar, but when I saw him with a band at the Scottish Rite Auditorium in Collingswood NJ in early 2000? It was one of the most incredible shows I've ever seen, and that's sayin' something. Hoping it'll be similar with Al, and that's why I jumped on the tix! Thanks again.

Looks like I can get tickets to Essex Vt or Pawling NY. Both are about 2 hours from me.
I have a similar story with Bruce. The first time I saw Him he was solo, then several band shows, followed by several solo shows. Last time I saw him was 2017 for a band show. Unfortunately, I am missing him solo tonight.

At $500, I doubt they will sell enough units to qualify Al for “cashing in” status.

At $500, I doubt they will sell enough units to qualify Al for “cashing in” status.
It's a limited edition of 2000 with a promise that no more will be made in the future, so he can't make that much off of this deal. If that's true then profit alone can't be the motive. Maybe all this will be available for streaming or downloads in the near future so maybe he will make a few additional bucks on that.

Off topic -
Thanks for the indirect heads up on the tour.
I somehow never had an opportunity to see him live so I can now cross that off the list after seeing him last night in Atlanta.

An enjoyable but somewhat short (?) performance (about an hour & fifteen minute set & encore).
Some front of house sound issues. Keys were a bit too loud and the electric guitars too low.

Couldn't believe how good Al's voice sounds at 76 year's of age.
His banter was mostly charming, the stories were funny but I suspect those that have seen him a few times have already heard them.

It was really nice to see him with a backing band. In this case, "The Empty Pockets" out of Chicago. They were both the support act & backing band.
Good group of musicians that seemed to be genuinely having fun. It was said that they have been backing up Al since around 2013 (I think I heard that right) and that they are also Gary 'Dreamweaver' Wright's band. I don't know if that is here in the States or everywhere. They also mentioned that they work with Bad Company's Simon Kirke.

Also on this tour playing sax, flute & harmonica is Marc Macisso. He certainly was a fan favorite of the show. His sax solos probably received the most applause all night. I found it really amusing when after the first song with Macisso on flute, Stewart quipped something like "If you figured out how to play that on one leg you might have a career there". :ROFLMAO:

"Lord Grenville" did not make the set list :( but a good overall set list just the same. Apparently two songs made their live debut last night.

So very glad I got the chance to see him live!

Back