Al Stewart - Time Passages (Alan Parsons 5.1 mix out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can they do lossless MCH on a DVD? Is there enough room even? They wont use MLP, as that format is totally dead. So what format would it be?

If you recall in the MLP DVD~A days they not only sometimes released the stereo mix in 192/24 but the Surround mix was usually MLP DVD~A 5.1 96/24 and videos were included as well.

Can they do lossless MCH on a DVD? Is there enough room even? They wont use MLP, as that format is totally dead. So what format would it be?

The JUST released The Grid/Fripp LEVIATAN is indeed MLP DVD~A 48kHz/24bit!

See the source image

The JUST released The Grid/Fripp LEVIATHAN is indeed MLP DVD~A 48kHz/24bit!

Authored by @neil wilkes' Opus Productions, the only authoring house that still does DVD-A. I'd guess that whoever Esoteric uses to author their discs either doesn't have the proper software or simply isn't aware of the difference between the formats.

Authored by @neil wilkes' Opus Productions, the only authoring house that still does DVD-A. I'd guess that whoever Esoteric uses to author their discs either doesn't have the proper software or simply isn't aware of the difference between the formats.
There's no mystery to this. The Esoteric marketing of their box sets has been pretty consistent with DTS 24/96 DVDs. Since DVD-A is not a current format to the labels, it's not considered. A Blu Ray may not be mainstream enough for the demographic that marketing insists is buying these releases. (I anticipate stand-alone BD at some future date) so DVD-V it is at least for now.

There's no mystery to this. The Esoteric marketing of their box sets has been pretty consistent with DTS 24/96 DVDs. Since DVD-A is not a current format to the labels, it's not considered. A Blu Ray may not be mainstream enough for the demographic that marketing insists is buying these releases. (I anticipate stand-alone BD at some future date) so DVD-V it is at least for now.

Not to get too far off topic, but Giancarlo Erra's newly released DEPARTURE TAPES also contains a 96/24 LPCM 5.1 mix and AFAIK, the use of the LPCM codec does not incur any royalty fees [like MLP]!

Not to get too far off topic, but Giancarlo Erra's newly released DEPARTURE TAPES also contains a 96/24 LPCM 5.1 mix and AFAIK, the use of the LPCM codec does not incur any royalty fees [like MLP]!
I'll limit my comments to really enjoying the Departure Tapes album and mix very much; the disc is LPCM and formatted to be recognized as a DVD-A. It falls outside DVD-A standards in that it doesn't include a DD or DTS option. \END

This is fantastic news.

Like most (all?) of you, I've listened to and learned to play (and in some cases, performed) a LOT of music by a LOT of artists over the years (43 years, to be specific, since I was 13 years old). Oddly enough, through all that music I'm able to select ONE song that checks more boxes than any other for me, i.e., my favorite song, and that is "Time Passages". Sure - I've had the unofficial DTS CD of "Time Passages" and "Year of the Cat", but to have the entire album in surround is pretty exciting for me.

Now if I could only get my favorite album in surround... maybe someday. It seems that Jellyfish have gained respect (if not popularity) every year since they broke up, so maybe in another ten years or so I'll stop crying over spilt milk.

Back