Al Stewart - Time Passages (Alan Parsons 5.1 mix out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of interesting replies! So I'm guessing, people must have their computers connected to their surround sound system. I can see how it would be tempting and fun to play around with various channel mixing ideas. ... if you've got the know-how to do that.
You don't even need a real PC. In my bedroom, I use a 4K Firestick with Kodi loaded on it. I think I paid $29 for it.

Last edited:
I don't think I've played an audio disk in 2 years. After playing rips for nearly 5 years, I actually find playing a disk tedious now. It also allows for much easier comparisons with other versions. In this case I compared it to my existing stereo version and the Parsons leaked DTS release. Even if you guys tell me it has awesome video slides during playback, ill just rip it to MKV and play that. Like GOS, I also kind of enjoy it.

I keep a few unripped discs in the inventory...mainly classical...as it keeps me from bouncing around too much. I tend to do that when having access to thousands of ripped tracks. We retired guys suffer from Adult ADHD, you know. 🤪

Lots of interesting replies! So I'm guessing, people must have their computers connected to their surround sound system. I can see how it would be tempting and fun to play around with various channel mixing ideas. ... if you've got the know-how to do t
Yes, my PC sits right on top of my Oppo 100% of the time. Lid is closed, and it's all intertwined within my system. I have a wireless keyboard and a Logitech smart remote that knows all the different tasks I want to do. 72" monitor (ok, it's a TV) on the wall. Fun times.

A side note on this. One thing I often do while ripping tracks is read the booklets that accompany these sets. The book that came with Time Passages discusses the origins of Year Of The Cat, especially the piano intro and the lyrics. I did know this already. It was mentioned in the YOTC deluxe release, and Stewart has told this story during live performances that I have attended. I did not know prior to this release that the Time Passages title track and Song On The Radio were deliberate attempts to follow the YOTC formula, specifically by having extended saxophone parts. This was mandated by the record label because of the success of YOTC. I also did not know that Stewart was so opposed to having saxophone parts in his songs because he considered it to be "un-folky" in a sell out kind of way.

Last edited:
USPS says that the shipment is delayed. Arrived in Pittsburgh on Oct 26. I just hope that those Steeler fans are enjoying the 5.1 mix. 🤣
Exactly the same case for me. Shipped on 26th, and it's delayed....I really have no clue what the hell that means. Did they even really ship it, did it get lost...who the hell has it? Not me....

Exactly the same case for me. Shipped on 26th, and it's delayed....I really have no clue what the hell that means. Did they even really ship it, did it get lost...who the hell has it? Not me....
That’s BS from USPS. Mine showed to be in Pittsburgh on October 28 and was delivered in Texas on November 1. Hope they have not lost it and you get it soon.

That’s BS from USPS. Mine showed to be in Pittsburgh on October 28 and was delivered in Texas on November 1. Hope they have not lost it and you get it soon.
I suspect that they ship from Pittsburgh (at least with media mail) based on a certain schedule. They probably had a plane, or truck, going from Pittsburgh to Texas close to the arrival date of your package in Pittsburgh. The trucks going to GOSland and ARland aren't scheduled to leave yet.

• Sad
Reactions: GOS
Import CDs does indeed ship from Kentucky. I'm talking about what happens when the package gets to the USPS Pittsburgh distribution center.
Oh sorry. I misread. In that case, it probably takes a few days and does some sightseeing. The Andy Warhol Museum., the Heinz Factory, The Frick museum, Maybe just go around town counting the bridges....

Oh sorry. I misread. In that case, it probably takes a few days and does some sightseeing. The Andy Warhol Museum., the Heinz Factory, The Frick museum, Maybe just go around town counting the bridges....

Mine made it to Pitt too and then....

October 29, 2021
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
October 29, 2021, 5:26 pm
Sent to Mail Recovery Center
October 27, 2021, 11:12 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
October 26, 2021, 12:13 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
PITTSBURGH PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

That term "Mail Recovery Center" does not instill too much confidence in the USPS. Thank you Mr DeJoy. 🤪

Can you imagine if this was some sort of mail order prescription drug rather than a recording.
I don't think they ship those as media mail. Isn't media mail the cheapest and slowest way to ship?

Yes, it is media mail which gets the lowest priority. But USPS also slowed down some (39%) of the first class mail. Well, there is always Amazon with their own delivery vehicles.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/08/1044016873/postal-service-slow-mail-save-money

Back