Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" (Remixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s here!

image.jpg

Last Wednesday night, when I got home and saw the email from Amazon telling me I would have to wait at least another month, I jumped on Deep Discount and ordered the disc. Here we are, 5 days later, and I have the disc! Thanks to Deep Discount! I love Amazon generally, but with regards to this disc, well, "F Amazon" :)

YOTC DVD.jpg

Upon a very fast and not a nit-pick look or listen by a long shot, it appears that the original leaked YOTC DTS CD mix is pretty much the same as what we got in this new DTS DVD. I ripped the DTS and DD streams with MakeMKV/AudioMuxer, and the DTS begat a 24/96 flac file. Here is a crude look at the original 16-44 6CH and the 24-96 6CH:

YOTC Compare.jpg

Upon a very fast and not a nit-pick look or listen by a long shot, it appears that the original leaked YOTC DTS CD mix is pretty much the same as what we got in this new DTS DVD. I ripped the DTS and DD streams with MakeMKV/AudioMuxer, and the DTS begat a 24/96 flac file. Here is a crude look at the original 16-44 6CH and the 24-96 6CH:

View attachment 65571
The official surround mix looks much louder than the DTS CD, but yeah, at first sight, it looks the same. Thanks for double-checking!
When did the DTS-CD begin to appear online? Did it leak recently, or years ago?

View attachment 65571

It does not look the same to me; similar, yes. Note the Centre contains more information than the LFE in the 2021, and the Rear channels are different. Also, comparatively to the Fronts, the Rears are louder in the old mix.
In my opinion, not a tweak of the DTS CD mix, but a re-do.

Last edited:

View attachment 65571
If I am interpreting this correctly, other than the boosted levels, which do not appear to be clipped, the 24/96 has low level signal in the center channel where the DTS CD has a blank center. The level difference may make it barely audible, if at all.

Snood's first GOS eeeeeeeeeeeeeever:eek: Ordered twice from 2 different sellers luckily both good prices lol -Deep Discount back in December and Importcd in February Urrrrrrrrgh.

I did check both, but only checked the Jethro from Deep Discount early this year, saw the December order but figured that had been fulfilled DOH!

Can always sell or who knows maybe a holiday giveaway - damn youuuuuu GOSSSSSSSSS :love:;):love:

:LB

It does not look the same to me; similar, yes. Note the Centre contains more information than the LFE in the 2021, and the Rear channels are different. Also, comparatively to the Fronts, the Rears are louder in the old mix.
In my opinion, not a tweak of the DTS CD mix, but a re-do.

Could be. If I ever get a chance I will look and listen. In the meantime, anyone else check it for themselves?

The question is this. The legend goes that Alan remixed "Time Passages" and "Year of the Cat" (the songs, not the albums) to present to Arista or BMG or whomever. Allegedly he was turned down. So the question is, if this is in fact that original mix of the song, did he in fact do both entire albums while he was doing the two tunes? If he did, then we'll probably see "Time Passages" the album next.

If these mixes have been sitting in a can for a decade, then the cost to release them would be minimal.

If he did just remix them recently, then that would be fairly amazing, as most labels have moved away from expensive remixing in this stereo COVID world.

Someone with inside info might know, but it ain't me!

Could be. If I ever get a chance I will look and listen. In the meantime, anyone else check it for themselves?

The question is this. The legend goes that Alan remixed "Time Passages" and "Year of the Cat" (the songs, not the albums) to present to Arista or BMG or whomever. Allegedly he was turned down. So the question is, if this is in fact that original mix of the song, did he in fact do both entire albums while he was doing the two tunes? If he did, then we'll probably see "Time Passages" the album next.

If these mixes have been sitting in a can for a decade, then the cost to release them would be minimal.

If he did just remix them recently, then that would be fairly amazing, as most labels have moved away from expensive remixing in this stereo COVID world.

Someone with inside info might know, but it ain't me!

@quadtrade would be the man to ask, as I think he knows Alan personally?

I sifted through the title song and I have to say that I believe it to be the original leaked mix. There are differences in the wav patterns with respect to amplitude and maybe some EQ, but the things that were where they were are still where they were, if you follow me.

I would be this entire album was done back when Alan went to BMG. Now let's see if "Time Passages" appears some day.

It is, however, a shame that they didn't do a BD. The DTS 24/96 is nice, but making that little move to BD or even SACD would have been a nice touch.

Here's a post from 2003 about the genesis of the tracks. So it appears the mix of this entire album was done around 2003. Interesting.

The book that comes with the boxed set features pictures of the multitrack tapes that seem to indicate that the tapes were baked by Alan Parsons as early as 2000 for remix into multichannel.

Back