Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" (Remixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't even tried the DD. Can you elaborate on what you are hearing?

i was just looking through the waveforms, there's scant difference between them when ripped (LFE appears a bit raised on the DD).

maybe there's some Dialog Normalization codswallop going on upon playback of either of the codec streams that's causing any perceived differences idk but the Flac rips i have of both DTS & DD don't sound markedly different from one another, in fact flicking back and forth they sounded so similar as to be the same (both bright and kinda earache-inducing).

I haven't even tried the DD. Can you elaborate on what you are hearing?
The DTS sounds harsh, particularly the lead vocal during certain passages. While the DD lacks a bit of clarity and has a sort of crispy sound to the cymbals, it simply sounds more pleasant. And I hear enough detail to make me happy.

The DTS sounds harsh, particularly the lead vocal during certain passages. While the DD lacks a bit of clarity and has a sort of crispy sound to the cymbals, it simply sounds more pleasant. And I hear enough detail to make me happy.
I usually play the DD tracks first before switching to DTS and the very first thing I noticed was the slight brightness difference between the two.

Dolby Digital always sounded slightly duller to me than DTS.
So it could be that in this case it actually "improves" the bright mix (or the mix was EQ'd with that lossy compression in mind).
Any idea why Adam's two rips appear the same? One being DTS 96/24 and the other being AC3 48/24, wouldn't that alter the wav forms even a little bit?

No, but I ordered mine from ImportCD and it's been stuck in St Louis since April 3.
Mine finally arrived today, 15 working days in transit. Also had two loose discs and of course the 5.1 had visible scratches but plays fine. Love the TV graphics.
E8237762-5627-4480-91CD-C4CAE3F67EB5.jpeg

Mine finally arrived today, 15 working days in transit. Also had two loose discs and of course the 5.1 had visible scratches but plays fine. Love the TV graphics.View attachment 65914
LOL! Well, mine arrived today as well. The shipping box looked like it has seen its better days.....but the box set itself, is undamaged. I'm afraid to open it for fear of scratched discs......of course, I will.

LOL! Well, mine arrived today as well. The shipping box looked like it has seen its better days.....but the box set itself, is undamaged. I'm afraid to open it for fear of scratched discs......of course, I will.
I believe that's not such a big deal, it's not like it's being rubbed out with steel wool, the discs just aren't that fragile IMO. (Unless disc rot happens in a few years :)!)

Back