Alan Parson’s “Ammonia Avenue” on Blu-Ray Audio Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had any problems playing it.
Yes! I tried many different discs, and it seems to be that my receiver cannot properly decode the dts master codec. My reciever is from 2008, and I heard that older recievers cannot decode it properly. So, now I am using the analog outputs on my oppo 205, and absolutely no problems! Kinda makes me mad because I want to use the analog ins for something else. Can anybody else chime in on this?

Yes! I tried many different discs, and it seems to be that my receiver cannot properly decode the dts master codec. My reciever is from 2008, and I heard that older recievers cannot decode it properly. So, now I am using the analog outputs on my oppo 205, and absolutely no problems! Kinda makes me mad because I want to use the analog ins for something else. Can anybody else chime in on this?
No it probably doesn't do dts-m. I believe the disc has it in LPCM also and your receiver should handle that, and maybe even sound better than dts-m

Edit, I checked and the disc does have the LPCM stream on it also and as I said LPCM has the potential for better sound.
I always use the LPCM track when available. Even if DTS-M is a lossless compressing codec as claimed, why use it if you have the uncompressed original stream at hand?
https://www.hiresedition.com/review/progressive-rock/alan-parsons-project-ammonia-avenue.html
Alternately you can use the Oppo to decode the DTS-M track like your doing to good effect.

Last edited:
No it probably doesn't do dts-m. I believe the disc has it in LPCM also and your reciever should handle that, and maybe even sound better than dts-m
It does decode dts-m,(pioneer sc09) but not properly only on the alan parsons discs. It had many many dropouts. I forgot what happened when I switched to lpcm, it's been awhile, but there is a reason I switched to the analog outs. I'll have to try lpcm and refresh my memory. I do remember that some discs have Dolby true hd, but when played, the volume was extremely low compared to the for some reason.

It does decode dts-m,(pioneer sc09) but not properly only on the alan parsons discs. It had many many dropouts. I forgot what happened when I switched to lpcm, it's been awhile, but there is a reason I switched to the analog outs. I'll have to try lpcm and refresh my memory. I do remember that some discs have Dolby true hd, but when played, the volume was extremely low compared to the for some reason.
OK, that's a bit strange though.. I checked your receiver and it does support DTS-M so I'm not quite sure why your having this issue with only one disc? It could possible be the HDMI cable your using, you might want to try a better cable, don't have to spend a lot. The Monoprice Certified Premium cable has solved handshake and dropout issues in all the cases I'm aware of when the cable was the cause of the issue.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427Good luck, I'll post again if I can think of anything else.

Find a zektor switch

I've been looking for something like that! Thanks very much!

Good luck took me months of trying thru fleabay...finally just got one here, haven't hooked it up yet...after my hurricane Tom probably hook it up next week or so

Geffen made them also, mas 3 cost me $85, would've preferred hds4.1 but got what I could
My avr is from 2006, ur lucky to have a 205
Good luck

Good luck took me months of trying thru fleabay...finally just got one here, haven't hooked it up yet...after my hurricane Tom probably hook it up next week or so

Geffen made them also, mas 3 cost me $85, would've preferred hds4.1 but got what I could
My avr is from 2006, ur lucky to have a 205
Good luck
Tell me about it! I wasnt going to buy one because the price jumped, but they sent me an email to purchase one on that extra manufacturing run and I ran with it! I will try to get the 7.1 model of the switcher. That looks like the best one to suit my needs. I'll be waiting awhile! Lol

DTS-HD Master Audio is backward-compatible to plain-vanilla DTS, so you should still be able to enjoy it. That is, by the way, one of my favorite A.P. discs, and it gets a lot of play.

Yeah I know that. He wants to use his analogs on avr for more than one source, hence zektor switch.

I bought to use for more than one source / player.
Save wear n tear on oppo lazer, experiment w other players more than one source
Find out how much sound difference there is in various dacs etc

Yeah I know that. He wants to use his analogs on avr for more than one source, hence zektor switch.

I bought to use for more than one source / player.
Save wear n tear on oppo lazer, experiment w other players more than one source
Find out how much sound difference there is in various dacs etc
Yes, it is backwards compatible, as far as I may know. BUT...I have read that the later dtsm encoded discs are not fully compatible. MAYBE...my reciever needs a firmware update...its not easy to do on my Pioneer. Anyone own a sc09tx?? I forgot where I read it, and I was hoping someone could chime in on it. I will have to hook it all up the way it was and see what happens. Might be awhile, though. Lol. I remember major dropouts, and I believe the other alan parsons discs do the same. And I have tried different HDMI cables. I mainly use the 205 for 3d blurays, and I'm looking to buy a sony changer for my cds and other discs(dts, dd, DVDs, and cds).

Yes, it is backwards compatible, as far as I may know. BUT...I have read that the later dtsm encoded discs are not fully compatible. MAYBE...my reciever needs a firmware update...its not easy to do on my Pioneer. Anyone own a sc09tx?? I forgot where I read it, and I was hoping someone could chime in on it. I will have to hook it all up the way it was and see what happens. Might be awhile, though. Lol. I remember major dropouts, and I believe the other alan parsons discs do the same. And I have tried different HDMI cables. I mainly use the 205 for 3d blurays, and I'm looking to buy a sony changer for my cds and other discs(dts, dd, DVDs, and cds).
The other thing, too, is whether your receiver can use the HDMI signal to feed a second zone. When I was in "the biz", the second zone had to be fed with an analog input, otherwise the receiver would have to have a whole other set of DAC's to work for that zone. I've been a bit out of touch on the subject since I retired, so I'm not sure if any company added the extra digital circuitry for additional zones without making the receiver prohibitively expensive.

Back