Alan Parson’s “Ammonia Avenue” on Blu-Ray Audio Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was to upgrade now, I do believe I would go for the 804 D3, the ones above that are not justifiable (cost) as I don't have a dedicated room. My living room listening/watching area is L shaped and something gets lost in the L part of room even though the system and screen is in the rectangle part of room.
Also, after two hearing tests a year apart I have to admit as it is fact I have loss of hearing at high frequencies.
B&W has been good to me so far. Is there something better/cheaper, I don't know, but I am sure there is. Sorry, way off topic.
View attachment 47020

I'm sure they're excellent Markie. And why do you think I don't go to concerts anymore......WAY TOO LOUD !!!!!!!

I'm sure they're excellent Markie. And why do you think I don't go to concerts anymore......WAY TOO LOUD !!!!!!!
Ear plugs now in concert, but no ear plugs at 65db max at home sounds much better. I seem to be averaging between 45db and 55db listening level at home now, works pretty good on a day to day basis. I also don't turn up the car as much any more.

I usually have a few shows lined up throughout the coming year, but right now I don't have any tickets to anything... every time I think about buying a ticket, I get hesitant about spending $200-600 for a pair of tickets to something that might sound like distorted shit, lol. It's such a gamble these days, and based on past experience, I usually lose. (Not to mention spending all that money to get ringing and hearing loss!)

I usually have a few shows lined up throughout the coming year, but right now I don't have any tickets to anything... every time I think about buying a ticket, I get hesitant about spending $200-600 for a pair of tickets to something that might sound like distorted shit, lol. It's such a gamble these days, and based on past experience, I usually lose. (Not to mention spending all that money to get ringing and hearing loss!)
Ain’t that the truth. Small clubs jazz and Blues seem to be the only thing worthwhile anymore. Cost and good not ear busting music.

My best friend, I even wear them every night,,,yes, I am THAT sensitive...I bought a new box recently..

3m-1100-uncorded-disposable-earplugs-200-prs-box-amatrix-1612-06-amatrix@3.jpg

My best friend, I even wear them every night,,,yes, I am THAT sensitive...I bought a new box recently..

3m-1100-uncorded-disposable-earplugs-200-prs-box-amatrix-1612-06-amatrix@3.jpg

Blocks out those high frequency nightmares💀 ...... and nagging significant others!

See the source image
You Bring another freakin' music disc into this house .... I'll SCREAM!

NIGHT 'KAP'

See the source image

Last edited:
That’s my wife’s best friend too (I snore)

Oh, we BOTH snore, but I have always abided by the golden rule.. SEPARATE BEDROOMS!!! it IS a "luxury" but it makes a relationship WAY easier.. well, that... and my farts are VICIOUS!!!! I would not want her to suffer them, I can't even stand them myself!!!! :eek::eek:;););)

Oh, we BOTH snore, but I have always abided by the golden rule.. SEPARATE BEDROOMS!!! it IS a "luxury" but it makes a relationship WAY easier.. well, that... and my farts are VICIOUS!!!! I would not want her to suffer them, I can't even stand them myself!!!! :eek::eek:;););)

KAP, sounds like you're putting those thingamajiggies in the wrong orifice!

See the source image

Last edited:
That's a surprise. I wonder how he chose Ammonia Avenue over the others? Its not a favorite Parsons release in pretty much anybody's book AFAIK, its not any anniversary either.... hmmmm

Happy as I am to see this release, anyone (Tad?) have a clue why this album before Turn of a Friendly Card or even I Robot? Though AA was the Project’s last Gold record, the other two sold up to four times as well (depending on country). Maybe Alan would simply rather do this one now? It’s a great candidate for surround, no question, and I can’t wait to hear it. But truly there isn’t a work of his that isn’t.

Interesting point of view. To me, Turn was more like the transitional album between two sets of twins as I've always considered Eve & Pyramid and Eye & Ammonia as the albums that seemed really cut from the same cloth. The songs Silence and I and Ammonia Avenue (both sung by The Zombies' Colin Blunstone) are really like part 1 & 2 of the same song.

Agreed with your twinning.
That’s how I’ve always thought of them also.

Vulture Culture and Stereotomy are a kind of pair also, at least technologically. The former was digitally mixed while the latter fully digital.

Actually, Ammonia Avenue has composer Woolfson on lead vocal — and it’s one of his best.

Speaking of, Vulture also features one of my favorite Woolfson tracks — The Same Old Sun. Since 1984 I’ve dreamed of one day hearing a surround mix. Probably have to keep dreaming, as it’s one of the least likely albums to be slated for a box set.

In my experience/opinion, this is a weird and (for me) a uniquely "Parsons" eccentric phenomenon. I remember being distinctly underwhelmed by AA when I first heard it after purchasing it when it was first released. But over time, it appears to be a much better record than the times/circumstances in which I first listened to it allowed me to appreciate. A cynic might counter that it appears to be much better when taken in the context of what's happened to popular music since. I'm not really prepared to put up too much of a fight against that assertion. Sadly. But over time, all of those Parsons records hold up well, even (or especially) when taken out of the context with the time in which they were created/released. They improve with age, and that can't be said for every Artist's catalog. YMMV.

Back