Alan Parsons possible.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit I either never knew about River North Records or have long forgotten. Do you know the history of how they got "On Air" CD-ROM?

If you are asking about why the CD-Rom was included, I could offer some 411...

It had nothing to do with surround. The 2nd disc (CD-ROM) was included in the original 2.0 CD when On Air first came out. Alan Parsons himself financed the inclusion of the 2nd disc. It was simply his attempt to jump into the world of multimedia. Problem was Alan was a bit too early, since the graphics & sound capabilities of those days were very limited. I do think personally, this attempt by Alan to promote newer technologies, kinda left a bad taste in his mouth as far as doing anything himself to promote new tech. So he is simply waiting for a more mature 5.1 market before he releases his classic music in 5.1. Many reports have confoirmed that AP does has 5.1 mixes done already for some of his classic records. He is sitting on them.

About the CD-Rom, I bought the 2CD set when it came out and when I finally had a good enough PC video card to play it, I was quite underwhelmed with the content.

.......when I finally had a good enough PC video card to play it, I was quite underwhelmed with the content.

I agree. I actually can't find my CD-ROM!!! I pulled it from the jewel case to take to my PC (a lot of years ago), and was so "underwhelmed" I put it aside and now I can't figure out what "safe place" I put it in. As I recall, it was just some static graphics, maybe some PC wallpaper for your desktop with balloons and other air machines in it.

It really was not much, and nothing audio, IIRC.

Wish that was true. It is not.

So he is simply waiting for a more mature 5.1 market before he releases his classic music in 5.1. Many reports have confoirmed that AP does has 5.1 mixes done already for some of his classic records. He is sitting on them.
QUOTE]

From a comment over on SDE:

I just listened to a wonderful podcast from a few days ago hosted by Bill Murphy (www.murphonics.com) which features Alan Parsons as its guest....... Among other things AP did say that he’s putting together a couple of live shows from 2019 (Holland & Tel Aviv) which will contain 5.1 mixes. As for the next APP archive releases (apparently for 2021) it will be I Robot followed by Pyramid as he is awaiting for some material from Eric Woolfson’s estate.

This does contradict what someone from Esoteric stated last year, that Turn of a Friendly Card would be next. I Robot is #1 on my wish list for remaining APP titles. But I'll be happy to buy any APP in 5.1!

From a comment over on SDE:

I just listened to a wonderful podcast from a few days ago hosted by Bill Murphy (www.murphonics.com) which features Alan Parsons as its guest....... Among other things AP did say that he’s putting together a couple of live shows from 2019 (Holland & Tel Aviv) which will contain 5.1 mixes. As for the next APP archive releases (apparently for 2021) it will be I Robot followed by Pyramid as he is awaiting for some material from Eric Woolfson’s estate.

This does contradict what someone from Esoteric stated last year, that Turn of a Friendly Card would be next. I Robot is #1 on my wish list for remaining APP titles. But I'll be happy to buy any APP in 5.1!

Thanks for sharing. If they have done Ammonia Avenue at this point, and if Alan himself says that Pyramid is going to get a 5.1 release, I think its safe to assume that the entire core, classic APP catalog will likely be available in 5.1 at some point.

Here's the exact exchange:

"Can you, or are you, planning to do Pyramid in surround?"

"I'm planning to do all the albums. I'm hoping I Robot will be the next one. I'm just waiting from the estate of Eric Wolfson to come up with the master tapes and bonus tracks and so on. But I'm very hopeful that will happen maybe during the course of this year. I would like to see that happen."

It's a nice long interview with a significant amount of time spent talking about surround. The interviewer mentions online forums where people generally say that Alan's 4.0 mix of Dark Side is superior to Guthrie's 5.1 mix. I wonder what forum he could be talking about?
:unsure:

Here's the exact exchange:

"Can you, or are you, planning to do Pyramid in surround?"

"I'm planning to do all the albums. I'm hoping I Robot will be the next one. I'm just waiting from the estate of Eric Wolfson to come up with the master tapes and bonus tracks and so on. But I'm very hopeful that will happen maybe during the course of this year. I would like to see that happen."

Awesome!! Thanks for posting!

It's a nice long interview with a significant amount of time spent talking about surround.

At around the 33-minute mark, Alan throws some praise SW's way and mentions having listened to the recent Tears For Fears and Jethro Tull 5.1's in his studio. He also mentioned that he's considering upgrading to Atmos(!).

So looking through the list of releases for the upcoming Record Store Day, I noticed an interesting vinyl Alan Parsons Project release. It's called Pyramid: Work in Progress. Could this be a prelude to an upcoming box set? I think we all assumed that I Robot would be next. While that certainly would be my first choice, I wouldn't object to finally getting Pyramid in surround.

This ‘Work In Progress’ version of The Alan Parsons Project’s iconic Pyramid album contains early demos, rough mixes and Eric Woolfson’s Songwriting Diary versions of the nine tracks that appear on the Pyramid album. Six of these tracks are previously unreleased and all of them are making their first appearance on vinyl.
Housed in a poly-lined inner sleeve with an accompanying 12” x 12” insert, this orange vinyl LP is strictly limited to 4200 copies worldwide.

Tracklist
1. Voyager (Early Stage)
2. What Goes Up…/Little Voice (Early Version Demo)
3. The Eagle Will Rise Again (Rough Mix Featuring Backing Vocals)
4. One More River (Eric Woolfson’s Songwriting Diary)
5. Can’t Take It With You (Rough Mix)
6. In The Lap Of The Gods Part I (Demo)
7. Pyramania (Eric Woolfon’s Songwriting Diary)
8. Hyper-Gamma-Spaces (Projectron)
9. Shadow Of A Lonely Man (Alan Parsons’ Experimental Demo Vocal)

pyramid.jpg

Back