HiRez Poll Alan Parsons Project, The - AMMONIA AVENUE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Alan Parsons Project - AMMONIA AVENUE

• Total voters
Musically, for me I always found I Robot still their best. I have Robot on vinyl, from the 70's and in great shape + 2ch HDAD disc. Always like the entire album; every song tells a story & is very different from each other. The album is a great mix of electronic effects, acoustic & electric work & in stereo just had great depth & imaging which made it a great choice for Sansui QS quad-synth :) To me, Robot was like a Pink Floyd-lite without the heavy moodiness. Love that album.

Eye in the Sky & Turn of a Friendly Card I like a lot and are close to each other as 2nds/3rds. In fact, I just received the 5.1 BD of EITS. Very musical & enjoyable albums.

I haven't ordered AA yet, mainly because in sampling the songs off Amazon's mp3's, I have to agree that they seem very similar stylistically to Eye plus I didn't find them compelling for repeat listening, yet. Now if the 5.1 treatment is that superior, I can see myself buying just the 5.1 BD. But definitely not worth $100 for the deluxe set.

I only really liked the 3 songs people are mentioning; the rest to me are meh & forgettable. I'd have to listen to the samples more to make a final judgment to buy or not.

After doing Eye as a deluxe set & 5.1, IMHO, they picked the wrong album for a next one. If I Robot was the one released in 5.1, I'd be all over it & gladly get the whole box set.

Last edited:
I wasn't particularly a fanboy of the RBCD/Vinyl versions of Ammonia Avenue but I will say, despite being a bit on the bright side, Alan Parsons has done a yeoman's remix and, IMO, catapulted it to a new level. The inclusion of two 'vintage' videos is a nice touch and that it has been offered as a stand alone BD~A apart from the pricey box set at a VERY affordable price point is a bonus I wish other artists/record companies would take note of.

A 9!

Last edited:
I think this is a great release. Always a big fan of the album and the surround mix is wonderful. And to have it as a standalone release is perfect. I'll keep sending Alan my money if he keeps putting these out.

K

Me too! In fact, I sent it to him 3 times for this one.......pure accident. I really only wanted 1 copy.

Fantastic, I give a 9. 10 for me is for perfection, like Abbey Road and Dark Side of the Moon. Somehow by AA the music was getting just a little stale, with just a handful of great tracks. Vulture Culture is also in that category to me, but then the end. But great surround mix, much better than Eye in the Sky.

Another thing that becomes crystal clear to me......I voted a 7 this morning on Steve Hackett's Please Don't Touch. I sort of felt guilty with my vote, but for crap sake. Compare the fidelity, mix, content on this one to that......I probably should have voted it even lower. :oops:

The audio prowess/mix on this one is Major League. Hackett is college baseball....at best. IMO, of course. :)

Another thing that becomes crystal clear to me......I voted a 7 this morning on Steve Hackett's Please Don't Touch. I sort of felt guilty with my vote, but for crap sake. Compare the fidelity, mix, content on this one to that......I probably should have voted it even lower. :oops:

The audio prowess/mix on this one is Major League. Hackett is college baseball....at best. IMO, of course. :)
And here I am not sonically impressed with the first half of this...

LOL! You guys are killing me. I, of all people, seem to be sensitive to over active center channel (voice, guitar...whatever). The Barclay stuff comes to mind. I don't even get a hint of that issue on this one.

Anyway, bummer you guys are hearing that. :(

i'll have a check tomorrow but not sure.. is there much Centre channel activity to speak of (no pun for a change) on this one? 🤔

see there's already a lone lowly "5" in the Poll, with no accompanying comment.. 🤔

not on a pitchfork-wielding witch-hunt (by any means!!) it just made me wonder... if there were some way to implement a prompt/pop-up that said something to the effect of "before you vote less than a "7" you might like to chip in to pass comment, for the benefit of all members"..? 🤔

Back