HiRez Poll Alan Parsons Project, The - AMMONIA AVENUE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Alan Parsons Project - AMMONIA AVENUE

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 reissue of the classic album "Ammonia Avenue" by the Alan Parsons Project.
Mixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons himself, the 5.1 mix is available in both the deluxe edition box set and as a single-disc Blu-Ray release.

(y) :) (n)

ALAN-PARSONS-scaled.jpg

A156nVitNQL._SL1500_.jpg

A1yU5QcB5KL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ALAN-PARSONS-AMMONIA-AVENUE-3D-packshot-scaled.jpg

2484992.jpg

Last edited:
just a wee shout out while waiting upon the standalone BD (ordered but not arrived yet)
i take my hat off to Cherry Red/Esoteric for keeping the new surround music releases flowing, between them and DV my country's become a bit of a multichannel hotbed of late! vive les Brits! 🇬🇧
God willing we all make it through this thing and on into what we can only hope will be better times for the world
🌎🕊🌍🌈🌏

ps. thanks for the Poll and all you do RT 👍

Second disc of the day this is up to Alan Parsons usual standards nice mix instruments all round.
Nice to have a blu ray only release outside of the mega box.
Yes, it’s rare to get a stand alone BR from a box set.let’s hope other (artist,labels) follow suit. Also pre-ordered this title.looking forward to it.

I keep expecting to see posts from people who have listened to this disc.

to me the surround mix is fabulous, nothing gimmicky, everything works in its place in the soundfield (and predictable as it may seem, almost as expected) Alan Parsons delivers the goods.

sounds a bit on the bright side, maybe.. i'm not ready to vote yet but veering into "8" / "9" territory right now and can only see that score holding, or possibly even raising with repeated plays.

edit: placeholder "9" vote cast.

the surround mix is simply fabulous, nothing gimmicky, everything works in its place in the soundfield (and predictable as it may seem, almost as expected) Alan Parsons delivers the goods.

sounds a bit on the bright side, maybe.. i'm not ready to vote yet but veering into "8" / "9" territory right now and can only see that score holding, or possibly raising with repeated plays.
and a few ports. lmao

I voted 10. I really like this one a lot. Great music and surround. Menu is simple and direct. I have not been an Alan Parsons fan except for the radio hits back in the day, but I have highly enjoyed all of his surround releases of the last few years, super good quality.

I'm going with a 9 - its another solid release , sounds great very much in keeping with the other APP releases in 5.1 , highlights for me are Prime Time , Pipeline and Ammonia Avenue , I like the menu, simplistic but cool , lets hope the other APP albums all get released in this format , Alan is obviously a big admirer of the format

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 reissue of the classic album "Ammonia Avenue" by the Alan Parsons Project.
Mixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons himself, the 5.1 mix is available in both the deluxe edition box set and as a single-disc Blu-Ray release.

(y) :) (n)

ALAN-PARSONS-scaled.jpg

ALAN-PARSONS-AMMONIA-AVENUE-3D-packshot-scaled.jpg

2484992.jpg
Got my yesterday from Cherry Red, not ready to give it a vote yet. Surround is fantastic, but I found the vocals a little under whelming. I had to turn up the center channel to get close to the terrific backing vocals and instruments.
I am trying a few listening modes to see what works best.

I'm going with a 9 - its another solid release , sounds great very much in keeping with the other APP releases in 5.1 , highlights for me are Prime Time , Pipeline and Ammonia Avenue , I like the menu, simplistic but cool , lets hope the other APP albums all get released in this format , Alan is obviously a big admirer of the format

Alan's next surround mix will, in fact, be I Robot. Much Anticipated.

I received the single blu-ray from Cherry Red earlier this week. I had been listening to Turn of The Cards for a few days prior then this arrived and completely blew away that album. Of course, they are not really comparable as Turn is only DTS and, as covered elsewhere, probably only half discrete, and also an album from the 1970s. I absolutely love Renaissance's music but in terms of surround and plain sound quality Ammonia Avenue is Premier League compared to Renaissance mid-table Championship (sorry for the UK football/soccer references). For me this is proper demonstration quality. And I had never heard the album previously. It's what 5.1 was developed for (in my opinion anyway!)

Got my yesterday from Cherry Red, not ready to give it a vote yet. Surround is fantastic, but I found the vocals a little under whelming. I had to turn up the center channel to get close to the terrific backing vocals and instruments.
I am trying a few listening modes to see what works best.
Wow, I get the opposite impression... I wish the lead vocals were slightly less hot! Don't get me wrong, I think the mix sounds great, I think it's just a personal preference of mine. (Actually, now that I read your comment again, maybe we're saying the same thing?) I don't know... great music, great surround mix, I'm glad to have it!

Wow, I get the opposite impression... I wish the lead vocals were slightly less hot! Don't get me wrong, I think the mix sounds great, I think it's just a personal preference of mine. (Actually, now that I read your comment again, maybe we're saying the same thing?) I don't know... great music, great surround mix, I'm glad to have it!
Also besides personal preference there is a possibility of equipment vs equipment as that is something that none of us are equal at. Not to mention hearing, my ears react negatively to highs rather than lows.

I don't think I could be more pleased with this disc. For me, this was the last consistently solid APP album (of course, there were still great moments on the next three). The fidelity on this sounds great to my ears and the surround mix is active and really adds depth and energy to songs that I thought I knew really well. The price point for the standalone is great as well. A 9 for me.

I will say that the "Don't Answer Me" video hasn't aged that well. I really enjoyed that one when it came out but it definitely shows its age as opposed to A-ha's "Take On Me".

I'm enjoying this thoroughly. I've never heard this album before and wasn't even familiar with Don't Answer Me, and the album really grabbed from the very first listen. The mix is great, I like that it's mostly a quad mix like Eye in the Sky. Fidelity is great. The only thing that could have made this better in my opinion is a silent menu. I'm giving this a 10, it's a great release.

Back