HiRez Poll Alan Parsons Project, The - EYE IN THE SKY [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT - EYE IN THE SKY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I just loaded up via Amazon UK, This Was, Marillion, Imagine plus two CD box sets, Mott The Hoople and REM at BBC. Whats the story on the White Album and Hendrix 5.1 and when am I goona get my two SACD stereo Hendrix?

The opening track Sirius sounds exactly like a tune on Rush's A Farewell To Kings. So far sounds great, and I agree IRobot is my favorite, I have another one I like, can't remember the name, has stained glass on the cover.

the-alan-parsons-project_the-turn-of-a-friendly-card_4.jpg

Markie, one of the Hendrix STEREO SACDs won't be released until November or December and one this month [Axis: Bold as Love 9/28]. The Hendrix set on November 9th and the White Album has NO release date.

I just loaded up via Amazon UK, This Was, Marillion, Imagine plus two CD box sets, Mott The Hoople and REM at BBC. Whats the story on the White Album and Hendrix 5.1 and when am I goona get my two SACD stereo Hendrix?

Since this is a poll thread I will give you an answer HERE

Last edited:
I voted 8. One of those confusing surround discs for me. Mostly I only liked about half the songs, which bottom line means I won't play again? The fidelity I felt was a little harsh/bright. He obviously really likes the thumping bass line as it shows up a lot. I could tell there was a lot of thought and effort put into the mix for surround but in the end it just didn't grab me, so glad I waited for the stand alone. If you are in love with this music I could see voting a 9 or 10 would be easy.

Aw, come on..."Tiiiiiime flowing like a riveeeerrrrr"... the trademark APP song by one of the best voices EVER, Eric W (RIP)...I have heard it a gazillion times and I still get goosebumps...

Time is a tremendous epic, one of the very best tracks ever from APP.
It was the gamechanger, ushering in the Woolfson era and much better chart and sales success.
I played that track into the ground.

And it almost never happened. Parsons never wanted Woolfson singing lead, but finally relented after hearing him do a take.

Arguably, the remaining track that would gain most from a surround mix ... though it’s always been surround in my head.😸

Just got this. I rated it a 9 as it is excellent in many ways. In earlier posts regarding the stereo version of this album, I raved how it sounded almost discreet when played back in faux 7.1 using Lexicon Logic7. This is a very rare case where I actually prefer faux 7.1 to the discreet 5.1. For me, the album just sounds better with L7 faux 7.1...more cohesive, enveloping and ballsy. Parsons magical use of all sorts of phasing on the stereo version probably has a lot to do with how it decodes in L7. (Results using PLIIx Music were also good, but not as good as with L7. I wonder how it sounds using a Surround Master.)

:eek: Are there people out there simply flipping surround instead of listening to it? :rolleyes:

That said, I can understand the appeal of buying two and selling one later to pay for them both with a little profit. Sucks for those coming late to the game, though.

The eBay seller obviously is happy to wait a bit, as it's going for 33 bucks on Discogs atm:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Parsons-Project-Eye-In-The-Sky/release/12338445

Is this already OOP and expensive?[/QUOTE

Just checked and the Amazon price on the new single disc blu-ray is only 14.59. I paid 19.99 for it when it was released. Not a favorite of mine. Only bought it because of the surround. Would much rather have had I Robot or Pyramid in surround. Listened to Tales Of Mystery And Imagination blu-ray tonight for Halloween and then watched Bone Tomahawk. Great western/horror movie.

Picked up the standalone DVD. Never my favorite APP album (that title goes to The Turn of a Friendly Card) I nevertheless have to give this a “10”. It just sounds SO DAMNED GOOD! The fidelity on this superb. Clean and punchy. And the surround mix is perfect. Parsons knocked this one out of the park. Yeah, a couple of the tracks are 80’s throwaways (“Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned”) But the great bits more than make up for it. The backing vocals on “Gemini” are demo material. As is the orchestral section on “Silence and I”. Hell, the whole album is!

PLEASE tell me we are getting more of their catalog in surround? TTOAFC and I Robot at least!

Last edited:
I'm happy giving this one a 9 after a couple of listens. The music stands the test of time, I just love stuff like this that makes me smile decades later. As Jon mentioned early on, this is basically a quad mix with the centre channel almost non existent, a la Andy Jackson.

The more I get into this hobby, the more I’m agreeing that the quad mixes tend to be the best. I think it was Andy Jackson who said in his thread that the center channel was invented for movie dialogue and music engineers have never really known what to do with it. That certainly seems true to me. And I do think these mixes where they don’t really use the center for much more than to “fill” the mix a bit seem to be best. The isolated-vocal approach can be nice but often too much. And is going to vary from system to system. It seems that if I’m fiddling with anything, it’s usually the center channel.

This mix is just about perfect, IMO. As is Andy’s on The Division Bell.

The more I get into this hobby, the more I’m agreeing that the quad mixes tend to be the best. I think it was Andy Jackson who said in his thread that the center channel was invented for movie dialogue and music engineers have never really known what to do with it. That certainly seems true to me. And I do think these mixes where they don’t really use the center for much more than to “fill” the mix a bit seem to be best. The isolated-vocal approach can be nice but often too much. And is going to vary from system to system. It seems that if I’m fiddling with anything, it’s usually the center channel.

This mix is just about perfect, IMO. As is Andy’s on The Division Bell.
I think the choice of center speaker has a lot to do with the center channel experience. I think for music the center speaker should be identical to the front left and front right.

Back