Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (Box Set in Feb 2023, standalone Blu-Ray in May)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like a broken record at this point, but Blu-ray Audio isn't an existing standard. It was proposed, but never realized. All playable Blu-rays are the same, with the same folder structure (BDMV). Any can be region-locked. It is standard practice, however, for music-centric discs (same as DVDs) to be region-free or all-region so that they can be sold worldwide in one version.
So what's the difference between the proposed standard, and the BD-A's we've been buying?

I feel like a broken record at this point, but Blu-ray Audio isn't an existing standard. It was proposed, but never realized. All playable Blu-rays are the same, with the same folder structure (BDMV). Any can be region-locked. It is standard practice, however, for music-centric discs (same as DVDs) to be region-free or all-region so that they can be sold worldwide in one version.
I think that might be the first time I've heard that record (maybe for others it's broken) :) . I appreciate the clarification. I was going more on the designation on the cover "High Fidelity Pure Audio" i.e., music-centric (as you more accurately called it).

So what's the difference between the proposed standard, and the BD-A's we've been buying?
They're not "BD-As." They're just BD-Vs with limited or no video content. It's not like DVD-Video vs. DVD-Audio, where the latter uses a different folder structure (AUDIO_TS) allowing playback of audio with no video content. All audio Blu-rays require at least blank (black screen) videos to play back audio, which is stored multiplexed with (attached to) said video. The proposed BD-A standard would have followed the same conventions as DVD-A, storing lossless audio in a separate folder from the menus and video content, and allowing for audio-only (or audio-with-static-image) playback. Presumably, it was never implemented because BD-V already supported lossless audio (up to 7.1 and beyond), and the slight "disadvantage" of requiring video was deemed inconsequential.
I was going more on the designation on the cover "High Fidelity Pure Audio..."
HFPA (and the similar, still-extant Pure Audio) was a marketing term, nothing more.

They're not "BD-As." They're just BD-Vs with limited or no video content. It's not like DVD-Video vs. DVD-Audio, where the latter uses a different folder structure (AUDIO_TS) allowing playback of audio with no video content. All audio Blu-rays require at least blank (black screen) videos to play back audio, which is stored multiplexed with (attached to) said video. The proposed BD-A standard would have followed the same conventions as DVD-A, storing lossless audio in a separate folder from the menus and video content, and allowing for audio-only (or audio-with-static-image) playback. Presumably, it was never implemented because BD-V already supported lossless audio (up to 7.1 and beyond), and the slight "disadvantage" of requiring video was deemed inconsequential.

HFPA (and the similar, still-extant Pure Audio) was a marketing term, nothing more.
One of the proposed feature-sets of HFPA Blu-ray authored discs was their simplicity, such as their ability to be played without switching on a display device (like an audio CD). Along with switching between audio formats via the 'audio' button on the remote control - Which many of my early HFPA discs can do.

However, the more recent HFPA releases tend to contain FBI warnings, lengthy menu intros, along with multiple versions/mixes of the album (which admittedly is great), making it impossible to play the disc without switching on your display device. Even switching between audio formats via the 'audio' button on the remote control is 'blocked' on some releases.

And... shock, horror... Some HFPA disc releases even contain videos... Oh, where did it all go so wrong!

Pre-ordered the standalone blu ray. I'm more optimistic about this than I am Eye In The Sky. Eye was a solid mix, but I found the album to be practically unlistenable outside of Sirius and the title track-- just mediocre 80s dreck. Games People Play and Time alone are such great tunes that make this one worthwhile, IMO. Will see about the rest.

Back