Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (Box Set in Feb 2023, standalone Blu-Ray in May)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I want the TOAFC 5.1 blu-ray, I just can't support paying anywhere from $86 - $115 dollars for a mostly useless (to me) box set to get it. Really, how many times do you think you will thumb through the enclosed book or listen to the 32 rough mixes, single edits, alternates etc. when you have the 5.1 mix and/or hi-res stereo on blu-ray to listen to? I'm sure there are a some fans who will gorge on that, but I just don't love the album enough to swallow the other stuff I don't want. In the past Alan Parsons has indicated an understanding that many if not most fans are just interested in the main album in 5.1 and hi-res stereo and was willing to work with the record company to accommodate them with a standalone blu-ray. Hopefully that will happen again and I'm willing to wait another year or so if that's what it takes.
I'm with you all 100%.

I really like what Paul at SDE is doing with the pre-orders for stand alone Blu rays with their surround series. I wish that was standard practice by all the labels selling multi channel music. Give a window to take orders, collect the dough, produce the stand alone Blu rays and ship them out. Bada bing, Bada boom.

Maybe, but I'm not sure I understand why.
If the artist/label can sell me the download at a reasonable cost while saving the money of manufacturing the disc and
all the rest of the costs involved, why not? A few of the others
out there are doing it. If desired they can also include a scan
of the booklet or any other artwork included for a minimal cost.
A download also saves on shipping, especially in comparison to an LP sized box.

What puzzles me about the marketing of these box sets is why they would think us oldies (let’s face it, most of these re-releases are aimed at us) want a poster or sticker. I might have wanted these items in my late teens or early twenties but I’m in my sixties!
You might be surprised. The numbers of youngsters showing up at the classic rock concerts I attent lately was surprising to me. I went to see a Led Zep cover band headed by Jason Bonham (Johns son) on drums last Thurs and the number younger folks was maybe 50-50
BTW. If you get a chance to see them don't miss it. The lead signer is a Robert Plant clone. Close your eyes you'd swear you were at a LZ concert in their prime.
JBLEZ is their name.

You might be surprised. The numbers of youngsters showing up at the classic rock concerts I attent lately was surprising to me. I went to see a Led Zep cover band headed by Jason Bonham (Johns son) on drums last Thurs and the number younger folks was maybe 50-50
BTW. If you get a chance to see them don't miss it. The lead signer is a Robert Plant clone. Close your eyes you'd swear you were at a LZ concert in their prime.
JBLEZ is their name.

I saw Steve Hackett in NJ last week - lots of younger fans. The cool part is seeing the parents taking their kids to these shows and the kids are enjoying them. Raising them right. :)

Well. I have to say I'm disappointed Alan hasn't embraced Atmos.
Could be he just doesn't want to deal with it, I don't know.
But at these prices I'm gonna keep my money for an Atmos release of...something.
I like TOAFC but not that much. IR, Pyramid, even VC I prefer.

Sigh…
I suppose this is good news & I am happy for those that love this album…but…
(and I understand this opinion may not be too popular)…the only APP album I REALLY care about is “I Robot”
A formative album for me shared by my oldest friend, who would later be killed in 9/11.
Lots of memories.
Hope they release it sooner than later…I’m not getting any younger…
⌛🙏🏼 ❤️

There's a good chance it will come out in 2023. Why? Because I have wanted to buy the MoFi stereo sacd of "I Robot" for the last decade but have continually put it off hoping a multi-channel deluxe edition would be forthcoming. Well, last week my patience ran out and the sacd arrived yesterday. It won't be long now until something is announced..... :)

There's a good chance it will come out in 2023. Why? Because I have wanted to buy the MoFi stereo sacd of "I Robot" for the last decade but have continually put it off hoping a multi-channel deluxe edition would be forthcoming. Well, last week my patience ran out and the sacd arrived yesterday. It won't be long now until something is announced..... :)
Bill...Thanks for taking one for the team buddy👍

I'm listening to a upsampled 5.1 file of TOAFC I picked up someplace right now. A dang good job was done on it too.
I wouldn't have guessed it was a fraud if I didn't know.

Back