Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (Box Set in Feb 2023, standalone Blu-Ray in May)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't happen with Eye in the Sky that was a year after the box
Same with Tales. However with the most recent release, Ammonia Avenue, the blu-ray was available at the same time. Maybe post the question on the Project's Facebook page. That actually seemed to have had a positive outcome in the past.

just for comparison, the Ammonia Avenue box set (with vinyl) is £89.99 while the new TOAFC box is £69.99
I guess maybe the new APP vinyl box set was exactly what we needed if this means that future album box sets will no longer contain vinyl (just CDs and Blu-Ray, which is perfect for me!)

:)
And the Blu-ray will contain an Atmos mix. Wishful thinking for the next boxset

yes, but this is Esoteric, and they offered a single disc Blu-Ray of "Ammonia Ave" at the same time as the box set, and they are not doing that this time.
I'm guessing that the two standalone Blu-Ray titles they currently offer (APP's Ammonia Avenue and Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water) haven't sold as well as some of their other multi-disc reissues that include 5.1 surround. Both discs appear to remain widely available at most online retailers, whereas at least one of the Be-Bop Deluxe sets sold out completely and had to be repressed.

I'm guessing that the two standalone Blu-Ray titles they currently offer (APP's Ammonia Avenue and Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water) haven't sold as well as some of their other multi-disc reissues that include 5.1 surround. Both discs appear to remain widely available at most online retailers, whereas at least one of the Be-Bop Deluxe sets sold out completely and had to be repressed.

Not sure about "Ammonia Ave" but if the "Fish Out of Water" Blu-Ray didn't sell as well as Esoteric expected, they have only themselves to blame for that since they put out the deluxe edition box set of the album in 2018 (with DVDs) and then put out the Blu-Ray a little over two years later. I'm sure not everyone was willing to double dip for the increase in audio quality.

But at least Esoteric have now begun to integrate Blu-Ray into their deluxe edition box sets rather than drop it completely in favor of the lower quality (and less expensive) DVD option that they relied so heavily on for so many years.
The "Once Again" set (from Barclay James Harvest) along with this set are looking to be some of their best and highest quality sets yet! I'm super pumped for this one especially!
Maybe if we're nice and all buy this set, we can get a similar deluxe edition of "I, Robot" in the second half of 2023!

:)

Ordered from Cherry Red, came to about $160 CAD. Man is the dollar just absolutely horrible these days. But if there was any Parsons record I’d go all in on a box set, it’d be this one. Both myself and my girlfriend (who actually turned me on to this album) have been eagerly awaiting this announcement and are now counting down the days until Feb. 24.

FINALLY!!! (no vinyl in the box set this time either!)

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product...dly-card-3cd-blu-ray-limited-edition-box-set/
• A DELUXE LIMITED EDITION BOXED SET OF THE CLASSIC ALBUM BY THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT.

• THREE CDs AND ONE BLU-RAY DISC (REGION FREE), REMASTERED AND REMIXED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES BY ALAN PARSONS.

• FEATURING AN ADDITIONAL 42 BONUS TRACKS DRAWN FROM ERIC WOOLFSON’S SONGWRITING DIARIES, STUDIO SESSION OUT-TAKES AND A STUNNING NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND FROM THE ORIGINAL MULTI-TRACK MASTER TAPES BY ALAN PARSONS AND FOUR PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS.

• INCLUDES A LAVISHLY ILLUSTRATED BOOK WITH NEW ESSAY AND A REPLICA POSTER.

First released in November 1980, ‘The Turn Of A Friendly Card’ was the fifth album by The Alan Parsons Project, the brainchild of composer, musician and manger Eric Woolfson and celebrated producer and engineer Alan Parsons.

Inspired by the period in which both Eric Woolfson and Alan Parsons had resided in Monte Carlo, this legendary album was recorded in Paris. The album sessions featured the contribution of musicians such as Ian Bairnson (guitars), David Paton (bass), Stuart Elliott (drums) with Eric Woolfson playing keyboards and providing lead vocals, along with Elmer Gantry, Chris Rainbow and Lenny Zakatek.‘The Turn Of A Friendly Card’ would become one of the biggest selling albums for The Alan Parsons Project, attaining gold status in many European countries and the USA. The album featured such classic compositions as ‘Games People Play, ‘Time’, ‘The Gold Bug’ and ‘The Turn Of A Friendly’ suite which dominated the album’s second side.

This new deluxe edition comprises 3CDs and a Blu-Ray disc (Region Free) with an additional 42 tracks drawn from Eric Woolfson’s song-writing diaries, studio session out-takes and a stunning new 5.1 surround sound mix by Alan Parsons and a high resolution remastered original stereo mix, along with the promotional videos of ‘Games People Play’, ‘The Gold Bug’ and ‘The Turn Of A Friendly Card’ plus a promotional television advertisement. This stunning set also features a lavish illustrated book with a new essay with photos, memorabilia and features recollections from Alan Parsons and Sally Woolfson. It also includes a reproduction poster.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE
THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD’ REMASTERED
1 MAY BE A PRICE TO PAY
2 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY
3 TIME
4 I DON’T WANNA GO HOME
5 THE GOLD BUG
6 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD (PART ONE)
7 SNAKE EYES
8 THE ACE OF SWORDS
9 NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE
10 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD (PART TWO)
BONUS TRACKS
11 MAY BE A PRICE TO PAY (INTRO DEMO)
12 NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE (BASIC BACKING TRACK)
13 NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE (CHRIS RAINBOW OVERDUB VOCAL COMPILATION)
14 TIME (EARLY STUDIO ATTEMPT)
15 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY (ROUGH MIX)
16 THE GOLD BUG (DEMO)

DISC TWO
ERIC WOOLFSON’S SONGWRITING DIARIES
1 MAY BE A PRICE TO PAY
2 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY
3 TIME
4 I DON’T WANNA GO HOME
5 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD
6 SNAKE EYES
7 NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE
8 TOFC / SNAKE EYES / I DON’T WANNA GO HOME
9 LA LA LA LAH
10 NEXT YEAR
11 SOMEONE ELSE
12 TAKING IT ALL AWAY
13 TO THOSE OF YOU OUT THERE

DISC THREE
RECORDING SESSIONS BONUS TRACKS
1 MAY BE A PRICE TO PAY (EARLY VERSION – ERIC GUIDE VOCAL AND UNUSED GUITAR SOLO)
2 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY (EARLY VERSION – ERIC GUIDE VOCAL)
3 TIME (ORCHESTRA AND CHRIS RAINBOW BACKING VOCALS)
4 THE GOLD BUG (EARLY REFERENCE VERSION)
5 THE GOLD BUG (CHRIS RAINBOW BACKING VOCALS)
6 THE GOLD BUG (CLAVINET WITH NO DELAY)
7 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD – Part One (EARLY BACKING TRACK)
8 SNAKE EYES (EARLY VERSION – ERIC GUIDE VOCAL)
9 THE ACE OF SWORDS (EARLY VERSION WITH SYNTH ORCHESTRATION)
10 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD – Part Two (ERIC GUIDE VOCAL AND EXTENDED GUITAR SOLO)
SINGLE EDITS
11 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY (SINGLE EDIT)
12 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD (SINGLE EDIT)
13 SNAKE EYES (SINGLE EDIT)

DISC FOUR – BLU RAY
5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX (2019) AND HIGH- RESOLUTION ORIGINAL STEREO MIX BY ALAN PARSONS
1 MAY BE A PRICE TO PAY
2 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY
3 TIME
4 I DON’T WANNA GO HOME
5 THE GOLD BUG
6 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD (PART ONE)
7 SNAKE EYES
8 THE ACE OF SWORDS
9 NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE
10 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD (PART TWO)
VISUAL CONTENT
1 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD (ALBUM AD)
2 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY (PROMOTIONAL VIDEO)
3 THE GOLD BUG (PROMOTIONAL VIDEO)
4 THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD (PROMOTIONAL VIDEO)

APP-TURN-OF-A-FRIENDLY-CARD-BOX-min-scaled.jpg
When I get back from my business trip (to the undoubtedly cold & damp UK) I'll have to order this :)
..................... I Robot next, may be?

Many of you may have noticed that I was luke warm to cold regarding Atmos for a very long time; but now that I have it, I want EVERYTHING in Atmos. I'd bet the house that Parsons would achieve magnificent results with the format.
After watching the recent interview with Parsons and Steve Wilson, I'm sure ATMOS is front and center in Parson's mind. Whether all future AAP BD~As will contain ATMOS remixes is still up in the air and would Parsons revisit all those older APP BD~As and upgrade to ATMOS as well???????

After watching the recent interview with Parsons and Steve Wilson, I'm sure ATMOS is front and center in Parson's mind. Whether all future AAP BD~As will contain ATMOS remixes is still up in the air and would Parsons revisit all those older APP BD~As and upgrade to ATMOS as well???????
Just like a box of Chicago or Doobie Brothers quadio boxes, I’d buy an Atmos box (Atmos-io?) of APP.

Back