Alan Parsons reviews the 5.1 DSOTM SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

Wunlow

Perhaps this is all ready mentioned in another one of the quad forums, but in the June 2003 issue of "Sound & Vision", there are two very interesting interviews. The 1st is with James Guthrie and his 5.1 SACD re-mix of "Dark Side of the Moon". The 2nd is even better, as it is with the original quad audio engineer Alan Parsons. Parsons goes on to give a track by track review of the new 5.1 SACD mix. ...Good stuff!!

Hi Rob,

Sorry I was not more specific. "Sound & Vision" is an A/V magazine available at most bookstores in the United States.

Really good article. Both producers took the songs one at a time with Parsons making comparisons and suggestions.

In the article, Parsons main objections seemed to be that the new mix didn't make full use of the possibilities. I agree that surround should have more discreetness and a little gimmickry thrown in, especially on this album. After reading his opinions and of what Guthrie said, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to by it. Anyhow, I don't have a SACD player but this does play on a regular player also. In a couple instances Guthrie says he actually took out some of the stereo effects as on "Any Colour You Like". It appears that Guthrie basically made a CD with ambient sound-Blah!

Well I said it before and I will say it again. Choosing Guthrie assured a lacklustre surround mix just because he couldn't copy what Parsons did as then people would say that he copied Parsons. I don't think he was left with much choice.

How did we end up with two threads on this topic?

Oh well... since E-Z board provides us with no easy way to merge them, double your pleasure!

To simply state that the Guthrie mix sucks is an oversimplification and not very respectful. Have you REALLY listened to SACD and paid attention to what the mix is doing? I'm talking about digging deeper than the obvious ping-pong effects. The Guthrie mix, on its own, is FANTASTIC! Only when compared to the awesome AP mix does it face any semblence of competition, and EVEN THEN it not only holds its own, it exceeds certain aspects of the AP mix.

They are simply different approaches that succeed on their own and different ways. I would like to think that we are a tad more open-minded than some of the stereo purists who bitch and moan every time something is "remixed". Oh, heaven forbid that we should "alter history". There is room enough here for more than one DSOTM surround mix, and if you allow yourself, you can find that they can BOTH be enjoyed.

Don't get me wrong .... Sucks is not what I really mean .. It just comes off short and is sonically superior. It just doesn't fill that want for a good surround sound mix. And this was the one to do it with ! I may be spoiled by the Parsons mix. If I had never been exposed to the Q8 U.S. version prior to this, things would have been different . I would not have been a BIG Floyd fan. I would not be a big Quad fan and may never have gone the route I did in this direction that led me to where I am Today. This album Started me down the road to Quad, d.t.s. , and DVD-A, SACD/MC, Etc. That first Floyd Out door concert in Surround .... The rest is history! Just fell robbed on this mix empty ... And let down!:( Sorry but that's how I feel ! UGH!:x
0] Rob

I don't think the Guthrie mix sucks. But I also have not been fortunate enough to hear the AP mix, but Parson himself says he rushed things, so I'm sure it's not perfect either.

What we are doing here sets a dangerous precedent....will we be freaking out about Abbey Road or Revolver if it's not "up to our standards"? If Scheiner does the Beatles, will we be saying "where was Geoff Emerick???"
hmmmmmm

Back