Alan Parsons speaks re: DSOTM

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>why not be creative and record a grand piano with four microphones directly over the strings, and panning them into the four corners... turning your entire room into the inside of a piano!
[/quote]

Hi Pauly, and welcome!

I have thought about this for a long time. I was even going to try to take a MIDI stream from a stage piano and spread it out across at least the front 3 speakers to see what it sounded like.

Cool idea.........

:-jon

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>or how about panning a drum kit's individual pieces around the room, like "moby dick" on the Led Zeppelin DVD??[/quote]
Yea :eek: That's the same Idea I had :lol:
Boy the Mix would sound GREAT!
;)

0] Rob:cool:

k fam, so I'm sitting on the shitter about 30 feet (that's feet for you UK folks 🤪) from the 4.1 AP DVD-A MLP source in another room playing the AP mix and I shit you not (lol) the frequency range is the best I've heard, meaning, I can hear Highs and Lows in another room, passed thru a wall, that I cannot on virtually every other album, meaning the AP Dynamic Range is the best ever.

I could say the same for Track 6 Echoes (23.00 and change mins for you UK folks lol) on the leaked Meddle 5.1 on the Early Years Box Set

rooms divided by walls are the best DR meter (filter) ever (wavelength, son)

1638843020766.png
1638842948537.png

Pink_Floyd%2C_1971.jpg

Last edited:
I think proufo missed the point...

Anyway, I don't agree that the Guthrie mix "sucks" by any measure. It is different, and in my opinion, is in some ways better than the AP mix, and I'm one of the guys that put the AP mix up on a pedestal. However, I try and keep an open mind, and I think Guthrie succeeded to a large extent. As I've said before, if I had a gun to my head and I had to choose one to live with for the rest of my life, I'd choose the AP mix, but on a song-by-song basis, the Guthrie mix wins out (to my ears) a fair amount of the time.

Hard to believe this post was from 2003. Not sure why @rtbluray 's prototype Doobies Quadio Box is attached to one of Cai's posts. Must be a forum anomaly!

PS - What ever happened to Rob? (AllAroundSurround) I still have a copy of his DSOTM/Wizard of Oz disc somewhere

Wow, almost a 20 year gap in posts there!

Still relevant though....

kinda my point. I was ready to start a thread championing the Gold Standard of AP's Surround but thought I would be humble because AP was actually Humble when it initally came out. He didn't even really acknowledge it (AFAIK) and it was the internet community that had to sleuth, advertise and it promote it (me included) and in the end he became rightfully famous.

Cinderella Story

This DVD-A (bootleg, let that sink in) by AP is what hooked me into Surround. After I heard this there was no way I could go back to Stereo.

Sayin', without das, boot , would I have become a Surround Head ?

Last edited:
Hard to believe this post was from 2003. Not sure why @rtbluray 's prototype Doobies Quadio Box is attached to one of Cai's posts. Must be a forum anomaly!

PS - What ever happened to Rob? (AllAroundSurround) I still have a copy of his DSOTM/Wizard of Oz disc somewhere
Jon... Life got in the way I'm still out in the either...so to speak currently fixing a few SACD players in need of new belts> I was also working on a 5.1 Animals DVD-A with full graphics..lyrics.. but never got it finished, work got in my way.... Now the Animals (finally from 2018 )got released.. I'm also working on Cars ..Hemi's..2010 6.1 Hemi Challenger..and 1968 426 Hemi Roadrunner! PS that 5.1 DSOTM was also WYWH instead of the repeat of DSOTM..The windy part in WYWH is when the Flying monkeys fly into the sky looking for Dorothy..That segue still gives me chills when ever I showcase it to friends. Hope you are well....???

Jon... Life got in the way I'm still out in the either...so to speak currently fixing a few SACD players in need of new belts> I was also working on a 5.1 Animals DVD-A with full graphics..lyrics.. but never got it finished, work got in my way.... Now the Animals (finally from 2018 )got released.. I'm also working on Cars ..Hemi's..2010 6.1 Hemi Challenger..and 1968 426 Hemi Roadrunner! PS that 5.1 DSOTM was also WYWH instead of the repeat of DSOTM..The windy part in WYWH is when the Flying monkeys fly into the sky looking for Dorothy..That segue still gives me chills when ever I showcase it to friends. Hope you are well....???
I have a Spotify Song listed ..well a list of Pink Floyd Songs listed It's Called (Oh! By the way Which One's Pink) It's a montage of floyd songs kinda like a story..with a great ending..(Song by Roger Waters to end it!)

I have a Spotify Song listed ..well a list of Pink Floyd Songs listed It's Called (Oh! By the way Which One's Pink) It's a montage of floyd songs kinda like a story..with a great ending..(Song by Roger Waters to end it!)

Update not sure why but go to The Spotify to play this..songs seem to not play here cut off..

Rob!! So nice to hear from you.

I am glad you're still surrounding, and wow, working on hemi-cuda's!! Very cool. I love those old late '60s/early '70s Chrysler muscle cars (like most of us did)

Heck, when this thread was new, as was the forum, I was just entering my '50s, and now I am freaking SEVENTY! Can you believe it? Talk about life getting in the way.

Anyway, glad all is well. I have to give that DVD of yours a spin again just to relive the experience. I know I have it kept in a safe place somewhere, still in the sleeve I think!

Back