Album art on Oppo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not about photos maybe, but I was just reviewing my SACD settings in Foobar2K and realized there's an option for tagging that I hadn't checked. I'll need to see if that fixes the issue for me, but may also allow attaching (embedding) of the photos for DSD / dsf files.

SACD TAGS.jpg

Not about photos maybe, but I was just reviewing my SACD settings in Foobar2K and realized there's an option for tagging that I hadn't checked. I'll need to see if that fixes the issue for me, but may also allow attaching (embedding) of the photos for DSD / dsf files.

View attachment 57809
Well, I just ripped this new JSP SACD title I got in recently; and with the new settings the tagging worked and they were editable in Foobar2K including holding onto the Cover art.
*Get Drunk And Pop The Trunk
Next I'll just need to check it out on my oppo to verify.

TF-AMW-SACD.jpg

Music Media Helper has a tool to recursively scan all music folders/files to check if cover art is embedded. It also checks if a cover art file exists in the music fileā€™s folder. You can select any/all files to automatically tag all files missing cover art recursively. See page 92 of the PDF docs:

https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh4/Music Media Helper Documentation.pdf#page92
I may not have updated MMH to support DSF files in this tool, but itā€™s easy for me to do so. Please let me know if it doesnā€™t do DSF in latest version.

EDIT: Page link updated for latest MMH PDF (version 4.1.4)

Last edited:
Music Media Helper has a tool to recursively scan all music folders/files to check if cover art is embedded. It also checks if a cover art file exists in the music fileā€™s folder. You can select any/all files to automatically tag all files missing cover art recursively. See page 76 of the PDF docs:

https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh4/Music Media Helper Documentation.pdf#page76
I may not have updated MMH to support DSF fileā€™s in this tool, but itā€™s easy for me to do so. Please let me know if it doesnā€™t do DSF in latest version.
Thanks Garry, yeah I for one need to get on the Bus more with the tools available on your excellent MMH. Just old habits die hard I guess. Promise to work it into my next rip I'm doing now - Branko- 'My World Electric' SACD :)

Music Media Helper has a tool to recursively scan all music folders/files to check if cover art is embedded. It also checks if a cover art file exists in the music fileā€™s folder. You can select any/all files to automatically tag all files missing cover art recursively. See page 76 of the PDF docs:

https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh4/Music Media Helper Documentation.pdf#page76
I may not have updated MMH to support DSF files in this tool, but itā€™s easy for me to do so. Please let me know if it doesnā€™t do DSF in latest version.
Looks like I'm using version 4.0.11 and it only seems to want flacs at this point, if you'd like to update it for dsf also, that would be great Thanks!

I use a program called "Goldwave" for pretty much all of my audio file management.
http://www.goldwave.com/
It's dirt cheap ($19 for a lifetime license and free updates). It can handle almost any audio file type, it can rip CDs, and it can insert graphics into the metadata. I've used it for about a decade for digitizing records and editing other audio files, and I recommend it whole-heartedly.

In my experience, pretty much all you'll get reliably from streaming to the Oppo is good sound, and even then only if you have whole-album files (optionally with cue sheets) and not individual-track files. Everything else (cover art, track skipping, fast-forwarding, whatever) seems to be at the whim of the player and inconsistent. Cover art seems to sometimes work for me if it's Folder.jpg in the same directory as the audio files but is more reliable when actually embedded in the FLAC. Cover art with .dff + cue sheet just never works.
That last statement is perplexing. I have a 205 and putting ā€œfolder.jpgā€ in the same directory as the .dff + cue sheet always works for me.

I can report that some albums definitely DO display folder.jpg images. The issue is probably in the tagging aspect. Some have the art but no track names; they display as title 1 - track 01 or similar. Mixed bag on my success rate, I kinda knew on my first pass preparing this quad hard drive that there would be some additional work. Mp3tag is a helpful tool but it doesn't always have artwork or even album details if it's not a mainstream release. I need to figure out what to do in these cases.

But the main thing is it's so much fun to sit there and cue up stuff that I've never taken time to listen to! Much of the quad I remember never sounded this good either. That makes it all worth it! Back to work on the 5.1 drive once I get this one done.

I can report that some albums definitely DO display folder.jpg images. The issue is probably in the tagging aspect. Some have the art but no track names; they display as title 1 - track 01 or similar. Mixed bag on my success rate, I kinda knew on my first pass preparing this quad hard drive that there would be some additional work. Mp3tag is a helpful tool but it doesn't always have artwork or even album details if it's not a mainstream release. I need to figure out what to do in these cases.

But the main thing is it's so much fun to sit there and cue up stuff that I've never taken time to listen to! Much of the quad I remember never sounded this good either. That makes it all worth it! Back to work on the 5.1 drive once I get this one done.
Sounds like maybe youā€™re looking for something thatā€™s more automated in filling the tags?
On the rare or shy titles for tagging, I usually just copy and paste from discogs into Foobar2K or Mp3Tag. Even Mp3Tag lets you click in the fields on the right panel side and input; just have to remember to hit save (which trips me up often- LOL).
Music Media Helper is really easy to use, and even comes with our own programmer to debug if there are any issues; how sweet is that :smokin
With the latest update to MMH by our man Garry, I can now even tag the dsf files quick and slick. (y)

My recommendation for a tagging solution is Tagscanner. Its a free program, the author updates it regularly, and it goes out to discogs to get the tagging info as well as the artwork. Works great.

By far that is the biggest advantage to using a media player. Its all there, its all in one place. You can play 20 tracks from 20 different albums in a single sitting with no time spent finding disks, handling them, or re-storing them. No cleaning, no damage. With the right media player software, you even get scrolling lyrics. And you can also do the same thing with video. Once you get comfortable with this you will never want to go back to playing optical disks.

Sounds like maybe youā€™re looking for something thatā€™s more automated in filling the tags?
On the rare or shy titles for tagging, I usually just copy and paste from discogs into Foobar2K or Mp3Tag. Even Mp3Tag lets you click in the fields on the right panel side and input; just have to remember to hit save (which trips me up often- LOL).
Music Media Helper is really easy to use, and even comes with our own programmer to debug if there are any issues; how sweet is that :smokin
With the latest update to MMH by our man Garry, I can now even tag the dsf files quick and slick. (y)

I use Mp3Tag as well, good program, and also forget to save! I also think it can tag dsf though I haven't tried it.

It's so nice to be able to stream my audio files over my home network to the Oppo, sound quality is much better than I get via my computers sound card. The displaying of cover art is very hit and miss however, there must be some reason for it but nobody seems to of found the solution yet?

I just realised that when an album is selected the files are sorted alphabetically. Oppo must use the tag information (but not track number) rather than the file name! The workaround would be to add the track number before the track name in the metadata. That would be a lot of work and mess up the look of the displayed track name! I haven't tried saving albums as a single file with a track list, and that might be one solution but again a lot of work and I prefer having separate tracks!

I just noticed that the playback of .dsf files via USB (.dsf won't stream over the network) is not gapless. I'm not sure but I don't think that the playback of flac files via the network is gapless either. Again I wonder if single files with a cue sheet would fix that problem. Does the Oppo even recognise cue sheets or just treats and displays a single track?

I just noticed that the playback of .dsf files via USB (.dsf won't stream over the network) is not gapless. I'm not sure but I don't think that the playback of flac files via the network is gapless either. Again I wonder if single files with a cue sheet would fix that problem. Does the Oppo even recognise cue sheets or just treats and displays a single track?

The 103 and 203 definitely work with cue sheets. I gave up and started going the big-file-with-cue route years ago because that gave me the least trouble.

From the Oppo manual:
Gapless Play: Enable Gapless Playback mode. This feature supports APE, WAV, and FLAC files stored on an external USB drive.
So no, .dsf files on a USB drive. Unfortunately. And yes, FLAC files over the network are NOT gapless.

Back at it again; this is a VERY useful file maintenance tool that I am running now on the Quad FLAC drive. Currently updating 267 of 4087! NOTE: This album cover art utility is covered on page 92 in that comprehensive manual (probably changed during an update)

Amazing clever work here Homer, you might yet save me from myself. :)

Back