Music DVD Poll Alice In Chains - MTV UNplugged (Dolby Digital 5.1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V - "Alice In Chains - MTV UNplugged "

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor visuals, Poor presentation

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
alice in chains.jpg

(y)(n)
Please post your thoughts, comments and observations.
Try to be as detailed as possible.

I voted 10. I absolutely loved this DVD video MTV Unplugged concert.
I saw this poll pop up and I decided to purchase.
I watched and listened and I felt so relaxed and comfortable as the band was as tight as could be. They even had one song where a little into it they stopped, because of there screwup, but they left that in and I thought that was cool.
The songs all the Alice In Chains hits and according to them this was there first time/recording together in 3 years, another wow.
I felt the 5.1 surround was really good, really helped my listening experience. I loved the tone of all the instuments in there acoustic enviroment, the acoustic bass, drums and two guitars where stunning.
Layne Staley lead vocals seemed not energetic, but vocals where superb, alternating vocals with Jerry Cantrell.
Thanks Bob for posting this poll, highly enjoyable MTV Unplugged.

This a great show, AIC is one of my favorite bands. Its one of best , if not the best of the unplugged series. They were perfect for unplugged as they had released 2 EP's of mostly acoustic material. Its a haunting and bittersweet performance, especially knowing that it one of the last performances with Layne Staley and his eventual overdose. The star of the show for me is guitarist Jerry Cantrell, from his playing to harmonizing with Staley. As for the mix, Crowd noise and what sounds like to me a duplicate of the fronts but lower volume in the rears. That doesn't bother me and enjoyed the sound overall.
I'm voting a 10 but im biased.

For those curious, the "friends don't let friends get friends haircuts" was directed at Metallica who were in the front row.

Last edited by a moderator:
Musically, this is one of my favorite MTV unplugged shows, along with Aerosmith and Queensryche. The songs picked work beautifully in their acoustic environment and the band is as good as ever. The video gives you insight into how much Jerry Contrell's backing vocals contribute to the songs, both in this live video but also in retrospect, in the studio albums as well. In fact, without Jerry's vocals, where he takes the lead on many songs, this would not have been a great show and leads to my next point...

Visually this an extremely hard show to watch. As a recovering addict myself, it is really sad to see Layne Staely up there. When he takes off his sunglasses, there is nothing behind those eyes and he is clearly way deep into addiction. Probably high, strung out, most likely both, and his performance shows it. I saw Alice in Chains in the early 90's, opening up for Megadeth and Anthrax, and we are looking at two different people here.

Knowing that he dies from that addiction a short time later only adds to the misery. Many never find a way out and hit rock bottom. My heart aches for them.

Musically, this is one of my favorite MTV unplugged shows, along with Aerosmith and Queensryche. The songs picked work beautifully in their acoustic environment and the band is as good as ever. The video gives you insight into how much Jerry Contrell's backing vocals contribute to the songs, both in this live video but also in retrospect, in the studio albums as well. In fact, without Jerry's vocals, where he takes the lead on many songs, this would not have been a great show and leads to my next point...

Visually this an extremely hard show to watch. As a recovering addict myself, it is really sad to see Layne Staely up there. When he takes off his sunglasses, there is nothing behind those eyes and he is clearly way deep into addiction. Probably high, strung out, most likely both, and his performance shows it. I saw Alice in Chains in the early 90's, opening up for Megadeth and Anthrax, and we are looking at two different people here.

Knowing that he dies from that addiction a short time later only adds to the misery. Many never find a way out and hit rock bottom. My heart aches for them.

you probably won't like to hear what I have to say but IMO it is exactly Layne being "high" that makes his performance so great.

Bill Maher said if you take away drugs you might as well throw out half your record collection.

Layne was one of my favorite singers, not just because of his voice but the emotion that he put into every word while singing and I believe the drugs helped that.

Listen to great singers today who aren't on drugs anymore and their performances are a bit dreadful.

I miss Layne, which is one of the reasons I have probably watched this video at least 50 times.

Huge fan of AiC and this Unplugged show was great but I can't agree with anyone saying the surround mix is good. The same audio is basically coming from the fronts and center channels and rears are just echoing the fronts.

Back